Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Don't Let This Happen To a You....

mrhvmd

Arrived at the river with keen expectations and optimism high. We had some walking to do from the parking lot so I decided to change my batteries first because they were borderline. I rotated the cover on the AT Pro and eked it out as the rubber gasket fits tightly. As soon as the cap came out the battery pack slid out, hit the parking lot and broke. No detecting for me today. I was relegated to chief digger and photographer. Before I could start, however, I had to chose carefully from the darker corners of my lexicon for the precise epithets that fit the moment and then shout them to the heavens. Lesson learned: First, I must open battery compartment over an area that can cause no trauma and, second, I will never, ever, ever, EVER, travel without a backup detector. Spent the hunt dutifully digging, snapping pics and mulling over what to buy as my emergency backup. Jens using an X-Terra 305 and she likes it but she would like to join me in water hunting. Looked at Whites PI Surf Pro but it sounds like discrimination is iffy. Will probably order up another AT Pro from Kellyco. Any input is welcome.

Oh Snap! I've been thinking of ordering a spare batt clip, as well as a spare cap and Oring...and possibly a spare At as well...this is a good post...a guy cant be shut down in prime time for any reason...and it dont take much, just a momentary lapse...even something as easy as leaning the Pro up against the vehicle only to watch it slip and crash to the ground...well, thats an honest looking little dog, and a great looking hunting partner, so all was not lost at least...verbal gymnastics have to be excersized occasionally, just in case a guy needs them to emphasize a point...like any good spice, used sparingly it adds a bit of flavor..too much too often, takes the power out of it, and dumping on more dont help...though there are points for creativity...'motherhubbard' is one of my favorites since it not only keeps my money out of the swear jar, gives props to poetry, has a bit of historical context if you will..and, expresses my feelings in a concise and easily understood fashion.....for instance, on the case of what you experienced, I would likely utter...

"Whos the piccolo playing motherhubbard that designed this yogi bear blueberry eating coccamamie concraption?":rofl: This kind of rant has saved me a fortune over the years!
You asked for input, and this is all I have..
Mud

Spare battery packs are cheap. If you call Garrett and ask them nicely they might send you one free of charge. Worked for me.;)

I do have a spare head phone adapter, as I have had two go bad. Been thinking about a spare battery pack as well, just in case. Your post gave me the push I needed. Tracking one down today. Thanks for the post and sorry it happened to you. HH jim tn

Sorry you got shut down, but bet the wife was glad you dug her finds for her and took the photos. If I was going to get a back-up detecter, I would go with the At/Gold and you would have two water detectors with different strengths and both great detectors.
Mud, can you utter those words three times real fast without getting tongue tied??? I told my pastor's wife at church one night that I was discombobulated and she asked me if I could spell this word. I can't even pronounce it twice in one day was my reply. We will pray for you was the reply to my reply and I need prayer, especially when I'm feeling discombobulated.

Have no fear....same happened to me about a year ago or so. Contacted Garrett and they sent me one to replace the one I broke and another for back up...both for free... I fill'em both up with batteries and take'em along always.

Ouch, that sucks! Sorry for your misfortune. But on the bright side, you have informed a lot of us to get back-ups, :|

I always carry backup battery holder, headphones, a roll of tape(loop broke while detecting in the woods). Taped it together to hunt the day out. extra batteries, etc. You just never know when something is going to go wrong.

"ouch".......those plastic battery holders with batteries in them are not very forgiving if they hit solid ground. Call Garrett and get an extra set just in case.

I did the exact same thing, but over my kitchen floor. I super glued it back together and it has worked perfectly since. I have a back up detector so replacement never seemed a priority. I suppose that I'll grab a spare on my next order.

As others suggested, i called Garrett today. Without a moments hesitation they promised to send me "a couple" battery packs. They would go out today. Since that worked so well I called Kellyco and ordered up an AT Pro with the stock and the 5x8 coil. Also got a 6" DD coil for Jens xterra 305. Laiala talked me int an underwater pinpointer so I'm good to go. Now we have some versatility and some redundancy.

I didn't know they made an underwater pinpointer. I quit using the buttons on my At/Pro when the console is underwater and just do the coil wiggle until the sound drops off and scoop there. It actually works faster since I got used to it and gives me more time to detect than using the pinpoint mode on my detector.

Once you have a extra battery pack. Do not store/carry it with batterys in it. It will break unless it is in the machine. You will not be saving any time when you go to pull out the pack with batterys in it only to find out its broke.

BYW Mud, I lay the spice on pretty thick. If there were a swear jar in our house my wife and I would both be vey poor and very rich. Let's just say it would be a good savings plan.

Garrett came through - two battery packs arrived yesterday, just in time for the weekend. :crazy: Happy dance!!!

Try to make it a habit when changing batteries to always keep your battery opening tilted upward so the battery pack can't fall out until you can get your hand over it to catch it. Just in case you forget have a spare.

Another "Don't let this happen to you" story. I took my sniper coil, which I had fastened to its very own rod to save time when changing coils, to the creek today. Rode my bike a half hour to get to the creek. When I got there, I realized that I didn't have the intermediate part of the shaft. DRAT! I hooked the detector control unit on my belt and held the coil and rod while doing my sweeps. Worked OK but limited my detecting time because I was bent over for an hour. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

My fix is to make a check list of things I need to take and checking the list before I leave the house.
HH, mac