Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Don't make this mistake

DirtAngler

I read where some Deus users insist they go by the iron audio buzz to determine if it's a coin or not. I've been experimenting with this and usually it is a good indication. A coin will be clear and crisp where another target might read as a coin and have the sound of a coin but also have the slight iron buzz. I've been digging alot of these signals for testing and verification purposes and usually if it has the slight iron buzz, it is not a coin. Today I was at a 1930's home, loaded with iron as usual. Dug numerous targets using this scenario and most times it was junk. Dug one and there it was, a 1848 large cent in very good condition surrounded by small rusty cut nails at a depth of only 5 inches. Sorry but I don't post pics because unless you show an actual full dig, I personally don't put a whole lot of stock in finds pics, though they are probably rare, I know of too many fake recovery pics. My only purpose for this post is so you don't get hung up on not digging good readings that have the iron audio buzz with it. I was using a modified program: 12Khz, recovery 1, discrimination 5, 0-30 notched, 95 sensitivity, 4 tones with varying thresholds, iron audio 3, stock coil.

That is why so many guys in the U K use the X P Detectors, because of the ability

to find good targets next to iron and other trash, I don't use the Dues but I do own

and use the X P Goldmaxx Power, a no nonsense switch on and go detector that

gets the job done, all you need is a good set of lugs ( EARS )

Keep digging those IFFY signals DirtAngler.

Good Luck and H H.

Les :ukflag:

The advantage in using iron volume IMO, is that it gives the user a better picture of what is going on under the coil. It makes it easier to determine not only that an iron target exists, but also the size and shape of the target, which can help in determining whether or not that iffy high tone you

I agree with DirtAngler, I hunt mostly in high trash areas and I find good finds with the buss and trash in the same dig. If any question, I will dig. If you

DirtAngler said:
Dug one and there it was, a 1848 large cent in very good condition surrounded by small rusty cut nails at a depth of only 5 inches. Sorry but I don't post pics because unless you show an actual full dig, I personally don't put a whole lot of stock in finds pics, though they are probably rare, I know of too many fake recovery pics.

Then why not just say " A good target" instead of 1848 LG cent in VG condition?

Sorry, but didn't think the purpose of the post would have as much meaning if I just said a good target. What I consider a good target, others might not, but most of us would consider a 1848 large cent to be something to keep in mind when hunting and getting this same scenario. Really don't understand your concern over it, but to each their own.

If it had been just an iron buzz, you probably wouldn't have dug the target.
The good tone mixed in amongst the iron is always an iffy signal and depends on the day and my mindset.

If I'm in super detecting mindset and out for finds, iffy or not I'm digging it.
Just a few hours happy go lucky take your mind of the daily drudge, just dig the nice ones.

DirtAngler said:
Sorry, but didn't think the purpose of the post would have as much meaning if I just said a good target. What I consider a good target, others might not, but most of us would consider a 1848 large cent to be something to keep in mind when hunting and getting this same scenario. Really don't understand your concern over it, but to each their own.

Maybe I should explain..... You posted that you dug an "1848 large cent in very good condition". In the latter part of the post you state "Sorry but I don't post pics because unless you show an actual full dig, I personally don't put a whole lot of stock in finds pics, though they are probably rare, I know of too many fake recovery pics". I have no reason not to believe you dug a LG cent, but in like manner you have no reason to infer that pics of finds posted by the other good members here are not to be believed. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but that's the way it came out.

Otherwise you had good info to share. It's the very reason I dig crown caps. I have dug a few signals I was sure were crown caps that were dimes mixed in with nails. One turned out to be silver.

I only have about 30 hours on my deus, but I've noticed that some good targets at depth will have a very light but repeatable iron "buzz". (in addition to a very light tone)

At max depth good targets get an Iron ID. On the beach I give them a single scoop and sweep again.
When digging in turf it's a bit of a pain. Plenty of other targets around.