Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Door Knocking and Calling for Permission

hunter_46356

Finally got the guts to door knock a 1885 house a week or so ago and got the go ahead. It sure wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Huge yard and some woods that I'll be hunting this fall and or spring. Still not done with the yard. These two old folks have even had me in for morning coffee and last week I had an afternoon Whiskey n Coke with them both. Awesome people. Also stumbled onto a home donated to the Local Fire Dept. for training and eventually will be burnt down. Found a 1932 Ice Cream token today and some clad. Deep memorials no silver yet, might have been backfilled. While I was hunting a guy comes over to see what was up and before he left I got another vacant lot in an old part of town. I've also had a call and a text in to some owners I know. Both are late 1800's to early 1900's. Got the thumbs up today on both of these too. Wish me Luck. Hunter.

Good work in securing permission and wish you tons of luck! P.S. Whiskey and Coke sounds good about right now

-- moved topic --

Robert.... Small town, lived here all my life so I know a lot of people. This helps a bunch but I know I'll eventually run out so the door knocking is something I need to perfect.

Outstanding! Even after you get finished hunting that place, you should be going back there often for the conversation and whiskey!:clapping:
Mud

Mud more than likely I will, They're good people and the old guys a WW II Navy Vet. Took him an application last week to sign up for the "Honor Flight". There is a push in our region to give every WWII veteran an opportunity to go to DC for a day to visit all the memorials. Not many of them left. He's interested. His is never without his WW II Navy Vet Hat. Proud of it and should be in my opinion.

Good on ya! :thumbup: I absolutely love to talk to old people, (including myself)...some of their stories and experiences are really something...a guy can learn a lot.:beers: You found some real treasure there already!
Mud

One of these days i'm gonna take a good snort of whiskey (no coke) and try the knocking thing again but only in my County. Tried knocking on a city house once to search a very promising piece of aceage they owned but got a blatant, no ifs, ands, or but.... NO.
I have had a lot of sucess though catching farmers out in the field and asking. Got permissions from a bunch of them to hunt some promising sites.

I gotta say, right or wrong, i myself would not let a perfect stranger onto my property to do detect, hunt, ATVing, etc. Let a couple young guys who were acquaintences of one of my distant neighbors who i never met, deer hunt back in my woods a bunch of years ago. They shot up the place, shells laying all around, fence posts shot up, no tresspassing signs shot up, etc.
They bought those boxes of shells and they were gonna use em deers or no deers. And then there's the liability nightmare if anything happens.

In this day and age with all the crap going around, i'm really surprised anyone especially city people would let strangers on their property to metal detect.

I find that over here in the UK once you get permission on one local farm and you prove that you are a person who respects the landowners property etc then usually farmers talks too one another and it becomes easier to gain additional permissions.We dont tend to knock on doors of private dwellings as they tend to have only small areas of land.

Its the larger landowners/farmers that we tend too approach,as a result of all the exposure on the television and other news media of either larger detector finds or detecting progs we have found a massive influx of newbies that think they can just go and detect on any piece of land or you also get loads of folks approaching the farmers and they are starting to wise up and just say 'NO'.

Land is gradually getting a little harder to find but not impossible,if you approach say a land owner with tattoos and wearing military wear and look generally scruffy and just ask can i detect your land then you will have a very high chance of being turned down,but if you approach the landowner/farmer with say some of your finds and with some of the local history etc then usually they seem interested and then once you have gained some trust then ask if you can detect say one small field,this then usally opens the gates to the whole farm or estate.

As a general rule land that is owned by the local councils this is mainly parklands etc is a no go area,councils will always play the trump card and say its all because of health and safety reason,as we are in a claims culture that folks could put in a stupid claim as they tripped over a hole that was dug by a detectorist,the local authorities cannot be bothered with these types of heavy claims so its easier just to say a 2 letter word 'NO'.

Same here MegaB..a fellow better show up looking right and speaking their language..it helps if a guy can drive a tractor, muck out a stall, or throw a bale..but samey same world over,...Farmers dont have any time for no bullcrappery or the folks that sling it, and they pretty much have a good idea of who's who..:thumbup:.
Mud.