Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Down to one ATX

dmnz

Had two of these machines, fantastic in the right conditions.

But due to limited use nowadays just sold one machine online (the modified xcals get tons of use).. I do wish this ATX electronic package was in a lighter configuration and are contemplating removing the entire green housing and making my own case and shaft?

I wonder the likelihood of Garrett releasing a new PI?

The shaft setup just continues to be annoying - the thick sand in Honolulu is where the Garrett guys should do their testing! Brand new 8 inch coil, one day in the water and unable to move the cam locks! But.... it found gold!

Overall a fantastic machine, but seems to be losing favor based solely on ergonomic design?

How true about the weight and shaft/cam locks.

BUT, I have three detector shafts from two different manufacturers that are made of aluminum and, after some 15-20 years of not separating the parts, I will never be able to separate the three parts (aluminum and lower rod material). I knew they would "freeze" together if I did not take them apart and keep them clean of sand and corrosion. And I am fine with that.

The ATX shaft makes me continue with the high maintenance requirement, especially with the high cost to replace one. The weight of the detector really is not a problem in the water for me. Out of the water the ProSwing 45 handles the weight. I find the work to maintain the ATX is well worth having a detector that has the features and superb performance.

I thought a carbon fiber shaft would be less susceptible to the salt water sand/silt, well I was wrong. I do have to keep the CF shafts clean or they also will freeze up. What's a detectorist to do? ...do the maintenance and keep all shafts and cam locks clean... and enjoy the hobby.

All excellent comments above, I still think the pro’s of the ATX far outweigh the cons! Hopefully Garrett has something in development - when was the ATX released (late 2013?). Time for a new model? Or MKII?

I too have a couple of detectors where the lower rods are basically "welded" together from not taking them apart. I have to switch electronics & coil when travelling and a suitcase is necessary. On the plus side, the welded rods are set at a proper length, so they never need adjusting.

Once in waist water, I don't find the detector heavy either, however, in shallow water, I too use a swingy thingy of sorts. The ATX has served me well for relics, coins and lots of rings. I often shower with the ATX :devil: after a hunt to really keep the fine silt out of the rod.