Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Downside

Scooter23

One of the downsides of hunting in the historically rich former coal and coke capital of the world. Although, this is the biggest chunk of coke I’ve dug so far, so there’s that.

Attachments

• E45E4E22-B159-4760-8081-FA0021F89E02.jpeg
    E45E4E22-B159-4760-8081-FA0021F89E02.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 108
Ok, not used to that type of find. Im assuming coke is a byproduct of coal? Otherwise I’m stuck thinking you’re the new forum dealer, or, I’m now sticking with Pepsi……..

Yep a detectorists worst nightmare. Coke. And it’s not the kind you sniff or drink 😂😂

Ok, not used to that type of find. Im assuming coke is a byproduct of coal? Otherwise I’m stuck thinking you’re the new forum dealer, or, I’m now sticking with Pepsi……..
Yep, a coal by-product. Back in the early 1900s this area had hundreds, if not thousands, of coke ovens.
Local history

we had alot of that in WNY too, they used it as fill under driveways and old sidewalks...

That'll mask out everything!
yes it will... Bethlehem steel in Buffalo NY... Tonawanda Coke plant in Tonawanda NY... tore out many sidewalks and driveways working construction when I was younger, most of the houses built in the 40's -60's had Coke deposits used as fill instead of stone... one way to get rid of it...:rolleyes: