Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dowsing

Back in the 1980's when I was dredging gold for a living, I got into metal detectors and Dowsing. We used pendulums mostly until I discovered the Anderson Directional Rod. Everything about it told me it was the real deal.
So I ordered one from Kellyco and waited for it to come. Finally it was on my front porch, and in my hands. It was a far better instrument then I had expected. I couldn't wait to test it.
I had some gold around the house and gave it a test. It searched the air for a few long seconds and pointed to my front window. My gold was stashed no where near where it pointed.
I thought I had bought a very expensive conversation piece. The more I tried to alter it's performance, the more stubborn it got.
Not only was it pointing to the front window, it wanted to pull my arm off. I was truly befuddled.
Then it hit me. It was pointing across the street at the neighbors house.

It so happened that my neighbor was pulling out of his drive way, so I ran outside and stopped him in the street.
He rolled down his window and I excitedly said " Wally, do you have gold in the house? In fact, is it in your garage?" He got very angry with me instantly and wanted to know if I had been fooling around his house.
I told him no, that I had bought a new mining tool and showed it to him explaining how it worked. Told him when testing it, it would not move off his garage, that I just had to know if it was working correctly.
He then told me many years ago his father had given him a gold bar and he had it hidden in the garage. He had been wanting to put it in a safety deposit box but never got around to it.
He said he was heading out of town for the weekend and that it had better be there when he got back.
So I ended up babysitting his house all weekend to make sure no one broke in.
He was back Monday and that afternoon My directional rod totally ignored his house and garage.

A special note :
When I would dowse a river to locate a spot to put the dredge in, my partner would ask me if I was sure if I was finding gold or "WATER".

In 20 years I have seen dowsers come and dowsers go and never have one of them turned up a gold nugget in the bush here in Australia. They have been challenged time and time again and always the same result, fail.

Works somewhat for some folks. NEED and not GREED seems to have a whole lot to do with it. Dowsed for at least 50 years and fun but not science. Seen it proven at a club meet where map dowsed and a dozen of us went to EFSG ,hiked a mile in and up the side a the hill and by gods sake it was there over 2 1/4 oz map dowsed by Al Mahoney at a OC 48er meeting with at least 60 folks in attendance. Fun to play with.I put Ray Elam on the spot in Drivers Flats by dowsing,he and partners spent 3 years and pulled millions right outta the campground hahahah crazy stuff man but fun n d sun-John John

Been dowsing for gold for 20 years and repeatedly got some fines over last 10 years at a spot I map dowsed and pickers in a hot spot recently in a secret spot a friend took me to. This guy happens to be my chief dowsing critic and he got 1/4 gram in pickers just 2 feet from where I was digging in the creek in Indiana,said it was his best day in 12 months. It was a good day for dowsing that day.
Have had lots of misses over the years too, so would say my accuracy is around 20% on the average, just another tool for prospecting, no method works 100% of the time. I have numerous rods, but usually just reach for the homemade copper rods, 3/16ths dia with sleeves for easier rotation. Also use a brass pendulum with a clear plastic witness chamber for map dowsing for gold spots,seems to work better on aerial map views vs topo maps..
I don't leave home without my copper dowsing rods for gold trips but the sample, sample, sample method along with the dowsing is the way to go, plus trying to read the land. Last year, I got gold in 3 different spots where I found rusty metal junk/nails/screws laying on the side of the creek or in the dirt.Dowsing rods crossed for gold in each of them spots and sampling showed gold there too, mostly fines, a couple small pickers, and a small copper nugget recovered. The gold was in under the rusty junk metal, usually on top of a clay layer.
Have also noticed that talk of dowsing tends to get some prospectors all riled up, dunno why that is, so I don't talk about it much on our local GPAA forums for that reason. I dunno of anybody who has made his fortune at dowsing for gold, except that Uri Geller guy from Israel , who was able to bend spoons with his mind like 40 years ago on TV ? I heard he rode along on airplanes and map dowsed mineral deposits from the air for mining companies and made some big money, dunno if its true or not?

-Tom V.

Yes Tom I'm with you ,I dint like talking about it to much for the same reason,it works for me and have found gold,witnessed by 5 other prospectors 3 times,I have good days and bad days and dint get to carried away with it,only been doing it for 5 years and had lots of fun,when I first started I had a old timer showing me how it worked,he then gave me the green Y stick and walked over the same ground and nothing,we repeated the proses but this time he put his hand on my shoulder and the green Y stick pointed to the ground,it literally couldn't be stopped,we were over a under ground stream,so I was hooked at this and kept practicing and getting in the right frame of mind is the thing that helps.Now something that happens on a regular basis and I dint no how many other people have the same thing happen [ not using the rods] is you stop at a place to detect and the first target you get or the fist 5 or 10 minutes you get a bit of gold and then nothing for hours,this happens quite often even in flogged spots,or your in the middle of nowhere and you find a silver coin and nothing else,what has directed you to these targets,that's always got me thinking that we have some type of 6 sense to guide you to these targets,but hey I still believe in Easter bunny because I get a egg every year and as long as that sun keeps shinning I'm gunna have as much fun as I can and learn every thing that is offered to me thankfully,good luck Bazz

I had several odd ball experiences in the woods over about a 3 year span and then they just quit happening,dunno why? 3 of them happened at spots i had map dowsed for gold or caches. I mean, when you see an 80 foot tall tree shaking back and forth like 20-30 feet each way, like Paul Bunyan is trying to pull it out of the ground like a giant carrot, and its the ONLY tree in the woods moving like that, what do you do? This happened to me while out cache hunting one day, within 500 feet of 2 major highways, no construction going on in the area, no bears in my area, a calm overcast day after a stormy night in late October. I grabbed up all my gear ,figgering I was being summoned to the spot by who knows what, but then had 2nd thoughts as I was alone, had no way to defend myself, so just stood and watched, kinda wished I had gone over to check that shaking tree now...? My friends all wanted video proof which I had none.
My last incident several years back now, a long narrow window appeared in the top of a large blackberry bush just after a strange reflection from the sun about blinded me. I was out looking for blackberries at the time, not gold or treasure.The window wasn't broken, but lay on top of the 6 foot tall berry bush at an oblique angle,shimmering in the overhead sunlight. I don't drink, can't stand alcohol, and hadn't even eaten any berries yet. I got all freaked out and ran away.Might go back this weekend and see if the incident might repeat .If it does ,I will for sure take photos. So far, none of the incidents has repeated itself. I actually kinda miss them now....
Has anybody else had odd things happen while out exploring for gold/treasure? Just hope I don't get made fun of/put down again for posting this...
Not to mention, the time something big jumped out of a tree several hundred feet west of me and I was soon being pelted with what I later found out to be large black walnuts. My friends tried to tell me a squirrel could throw a black walnut 300 feet uphill at yours truly??!! Maybe if he were the size of Godzilla? Ain't never seen a squirrel that size before. I picked up my MXT and shouted to nobody in particular, OK,OK, I am leaving, and I ran all the way back to the truck just as pitch black darkness set in, not a wise move with exercise induced asthma!! I was gettin scared...I was at a spot in the woods near where I had map dowsed for gold at the time.Evidence of mining/blasting all over the place, and the bedrock was orange in the creek, and hotrocks everywhere.

-T

Ive had a few unexplained things,one was traveling late at night in our bus heading to Western Australia trying to find a place to camp up going across the nullabor
plains,flat barron county for miles and dangerous to travel at night because of animals that want to play chicken with you and try and wreck your ride,any way we had a bright light to our right which was traveling with us,no roads,no train lines out there and to low for a plane just a expanse of nothing,It eventually faded out and left us quite shaken,this has been seen by quite a few lucky people at times and is called a min min light,just google it and have a read,When I was 10 years old my mate and I would go and explore old gold mines,one mine we were in was about 100 yards long and we where half way in with candles in hand edging our way along ,all of a sudden we could hear something running towards us and we sh...t turning to run away from it our candles blew out and the next thing our legs were knocked out from under us and we where flat on the deck screaming blue murder,Finally coming to our censers we got a candle lit and hightailed it out,when we got out here was a wombat out the front wandering around,these animals are built like a tank and are nocturnal,not very big but very strong,if a dog goes down there burrow to attack them they will let the dog past and then back up on it and smother it,most things can be explained and some just leave you in wonder cheers Bazz

They call those ghost lights here in the US, in the Ghost story books anyway, others call them swamp gas, many ghost stories in the US have balls of light , especially the Brown Mountain lights down in North Carolina are among the more famous ones.
I heard of one locally in Indiana I wanted to check on.A friend told me his college age kid and buddies from Perdue University in Indiana.,went to check on that ghost light, and actually did not only see it, but chased it on foot .It disappeared behind an abandoned barn they said.
You got a photo of this Wombat thing?

-T

Our local utility company has Garrett metal detectors in their truck to sniff out water and gas lines, but they don't use them.
They carry metal coat hangers, bent-up ones, and they demonstrated to me that the coat hangers work faster and better.
The thing is, they don't work for all the guys in the utility company, they have to use the metal detectors.

I saw a utility worker for a ComEd contactor here locally using what sure looked like a set of L rods on the job. Made me do a doubletake and I almost stopped to ask....sure wished I had stopped now, especially considering all the denials I have read about utlity workers and well drillers NOT using dowsing rods over the years !!! Maybe we can get some tips from these guys, after all, they are doing it as part of a bonifide job. Look in the Northern Tool catalog and they have pipe locators for 25 dollars that sure look like telecoping chrome plated L rods to me.

-T

Ok. If your dowsing for gold, you have to TELL yourself (your subconscious) that that is
what your looking for?

If ylour looking for Water, you tell yourself thats what your looking for?

If your looking for arecheological remains, you tell yourself this is what you want?

Or, do you need a dowsing setup for each different thing your looking for. I have
never enterained this idea of dowsing so know nothing about it.

How do you go about it?

Robert2300

Your on a goldfield and use dowsing. Go to where you reckon it shows and find some gold. So dowsing works? Your on a goldfield, detecting, and go to where you reckon you might find some gold and find some. What happened there that was any different other than one was with dowsing and the other just trying. On a goldfield where gold could be anywhere! Hit and miss! You could put a number of spots on paper and drop them in a hat and pick one out and try and your odds would not be any different. Dowsing, how many times did it not work? More times than it did I bet. How many big nuggets have been found dowsing? I have not heard or seen any. Big gold finds with dowsing vs big gold finds with metal detectors. No contest. Lets see a big gold find with dowsing.
Or can they only find small finds? If it works so good then it should go without saying that big gold would swing the pendulum better than little bits. Explain how on a goldfield where there is nuggets, some pretty big too, dowsing only seems to find the scrappers. Answer - because there are a million scrappers to every big bit and the odds of chance will get you a scrapper way before a big bit.

Hahahaha what a hoot-IT has worked as proven and has NOT worked as proven. I am NO advocate,just one a them things in life that is hard to comprehend. NEED is the driver as water/oil witching been going on for 1000s a years. Utility workers almost always dowse first to find what they need to find. The try detectors. I just concentrate real hard and works sometimes --again NEED is the provider and NOT greed. Explain what-the unexplainable-nope as I never look a gift horse in the mouth--as some folks stick their heads up the other end with blatent ignorance-John