Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Drained Lake

Lodihunter

My father and I are heading up to our cabin that is on a lake that used to be a saw mill in the late 1800's. After the saw mill went out of business, they built a dam and filled up the lake. They are now draining that lake to do repairs on the bottom portion of the dam. It hasn't been drained for 90 years! I am hoping to find some rings and old coins. I wanted to come here and ask if anyone has detected a drained lake before, and if so, tips on where the "good stuff" might be (shoreline, middle, next to big rocks, etc). I'll give you updates on what I found when I get back. Thanks!

Beach area would be the best, where they fish from area, make sure you check out the boat
launch areas if there more than one and like you said around the rock area.
Private docks if any may be good.

[size=large]act like you're taking the family. where would you play with the kids? swim around yourself? my daughter tells me her and friends have lost lots of things at the boat-ramps. i wouldn't think going to the middle will get much if anything. the people stayed close to shore for the most part. where would you go and what would you do?

HH[/size]

The swimming area if there is one. I found a few gold and silver rings and necklaces at a drained lake that had a small swimming area.

Just got up here and found signs posted that read LAKE CLOSED DURING REPAIR NO TRESPASSING. Lame. :ban:

Lodihunter said:
Just got up here and found signs posted that read LAKE CLOSED DURING REPAIR NO TRESPASSING. Lame. :ban:

Too bad in this situation.
You can always try this trick,
Put a White hard hat and florescence vest on
and go in like your looking for something.
If question just say your looking for a valuable tool .:laugh:

Try to find the construction superintendent. It never hurts to ask ... I have gotten some yes answers. Good luck.

I just got back last night. We found a part of the lake that wasn't marked off and tried some hunting in that area. There was so much silt, that rings, coins and anything else heavy sunk over a foot. It was pretty tough for the detector to pick up. The best find of the weekend was a wheatie. There were a few other MDists there and they had the same story. Well, there's always next time.