Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dry Dirt Observations

rrw

I've had my G2 since February and hunted with an Ace 250 for less than a year before that. So I'm still relatively new. We had a very wet winter in CA but I got out as much as I could, hunting in mud. Now the ground is very dry and I see a big difference in the way the G2 acts. To start with GB, same school mid 80's wet, mid 70's dry. Depth was better wet but PP more accurate in dry ground. Last thing is ID numbers. When I started pennies were always 78,79,80, clad dimes were a solid 83. As the soil dried 83's became pennies and dimes moved up to 84-85. Now I've got pennies(copper and zinc) ID'ing up to 87. I found my first 2 wheats last week and they were a solid 88. Now the difference between wet and dry are pretty extreme. Wet was mud, dry is cracked soil with about a 2" "crust", then very hard underneath. Are these normal occurrences as things dry out. Thanks

Many things effect ID. It could be a number of things effecting you. Ground type, ground mineralization, moisture content etc etc etc.... Usually dry ground is the worst for depth. The wetter the better! lol

Although I have not taken time to measure the difference of how my G2 reacts in wet vs dry soil, I have noticed that mine much prefers good moist soil. I get better depth and clearer sounds. I thought that it was just ME. But it really seems that wet dirt is best.

Of course wet soil will conduct better than dry soil.

Yes wet soil conducts better but you will also have more of a problem with iron as it activates the halo. Dry soil is best for hunting in iron infested sites. This observation comes from Nasa TOM.
HH