Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Due to the lack of a small coil for the XT, I had an idea...

Donnie

Is there a material that you could put over or coat a DD coil so that only a smaller part of it would work? The idea of a smaller coil is to have a smaller footprint. I was thinking that if there is something that you could "paint" onto the bottom of the coil cover so you could create a footprint of whatever size you desired that would take care of the smaller coil issue. Something that would mask the signal except for where you did not "paint" it. You could have different coil covers painted with different openings.

Just wondering...

n/t

With My Troy Shadow X5 and X3 using the 7" coil (the smallest I have)I reduce the sensitivity setting to Zero and it seems to have the effect of narrowing the coil width to 4-5" diameter.
Metaphorically like deflating a balloon.
The sensitivity was less, but the depth and finds are acceptable amongst trash.
I donn't own a Terra so havn't checked if it works similarly.
With the Troy detectors set at zero the detecting depth is still reasonable and usable.
I intend, when time is available to set up the detector on a rig and draw the magnetic field onto a sheet of paper.
In the meantime, if anyone beats me, to doing this test, I shall be very interested in their results, please pm me.
Chris

KRYPTONITE
but most Minelab users get really sick when they get near that stuff! :stretcher:

Seriously, I can't think of any substance that is both non-ferrous and non-conductive, and at the same time block magnetic lines of flux without a huge degree of physical separation.

I think we just have to be patient and hope that,now Christmas is over, Santa and the elves can get back to work on that smaller coil. HH Randy

How about a big stainless washer/cover the size of the coil cover? You could have the hole in the center any size you wanted. The "cover" would be moving with the coil so it shouldn't cause any signal, and the transmitted signal would only go through the opening.

Seriously, good to see a post from you. I was thinking about you earlier this morning and was going to write to make sure everything was ok since you haven't been around for awhile. Hope you had a great holiday.

OldeTymer

the doctors. Between health issues :stretcher: and this this darn weather, I just haven't got much accomplished!! Hopefully everything will work out and I can get back in the :detecting: of things. HH Randy

that you are hunting with a smaller coil? Reduce the sensitivity to the 16-19 range on the X-70. Use a slow sweep with the coil a couple inches above the ground and overlap using the center open area of the coil to "paint" the ground. Set up like that you will not get max depth of course but it will hunt surprisingly well in heavy trash/iron. Even switching to Beach mode can help at times when using lowered sensitivity in the 16 range.

Tom

and its sensitivity control. The Fisher 1270 is the same way. Set to minimum it retains excellent depth and sensitivity and increases in a linear fashion as you turn up the control. Those are the only 2 detectors that will hit my "on edge" test dime at 6" with the sensitivity at minimum. A Fisher tech once told me the sensitivity control on the 1270 is threshold based rather than a gain control.

Tom

Right John I meant the Troy X5 and 1270. Also, I need to correct what I wrote regards what the Fisher tech said about the 1270's sensitivity control. He referred to it as a "noise blanker" which I took to mean as being similar to how a threshold based control would function.

Tom