Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dug more rusty cans today then ever before with any other detector

screwynewy

I had a miserable day detecting around an abandoned 1800's school house. This structure is 1/4 mile in the woods and has not been used for probably 60 years other than to dump household trash. I really hope that I was doing something wrong because almost every good sounding signal was an old rusty can. I would have sworn that most of the targets that I dug where going to be a good non-ferrus object but 75% of them were rusty metal cans. I was using the Deus Fast program with the following modifications:

Change frequency to 12 KHz
Change Iron volume to 0
Change Audio response to 2
Set high tone to 792
Set mid tone to 400
Set low tone to 201
Keep Reactivity on 3
Set GB to manual and set at 85

PullTabMiner gave me these settings and said this is what he uses so I thought I'd try them out. I need help setting up my detector properly so I don't spend my next time out getting fooled by rusty cans. I am very experienced using both the MXT Pro and Teknitics T2 SE so if there is a way to set up the audio response to resemble either of these machines it would make things much easier for me. Any suggestions. Thanks!

My experience so far says those rusty cans will give you a raspy sound at least one or two ways on a pass. You need to estimate the size of the target too. I dig a lot of those raspy signals hoping to find that silver coin hiding with junk but so far if it has the nasty raspy sound it has been junk. I am sure you will get more feedback. I dug a ton of that stuff but it helped me understand how the Deus worked. Go with your cleaner, repeatable signals and you will find much less junk.

Don
HH

I like to keep the iron volume at 2 or 3 so I know when I'm over iron. Try switching to a lower frequency to check suspicious targets. 8, or better yet 4kHz will bring out more of that raspy, scratchy iron sound. Turning the iron silencer down will also bring out more of that raspyness. It can however, increase the amount of falsing that you're getting from the iron. Turning the silencer up can knock out some of the falsing, but it tends to decrease that tell-tale raspyness and can filter out good non ferrous targets hiding next to iron.. Try experimenting with it and see what works for you. Of course the silencer will be changing a bit when V3 come out, so don't get too used to it yet.

I am sorry my settings didn't work for you.

I am in fact, going to hunt a place this weekend very much like the one you describe. I am going to use those same settings and I can guarantee you I won't spend a whole lot of time digging tin cans.

As to setting you detector 'properly', I give you this advice: stick with the factory programs so that you don't insult anyone else who tries to help you.

Happy hunting!

pulltabMiner said:
I am sorry my settings didn't work for you.

I am in fact, going to hunt a place this weekend very much like the one you describe. I am going to use those same settings and I can guarantee you I won't spend a whole lot of time digging tin cans.

As to setting you detector 'properly', I give you this advice: stick with the factory programs so that you don't insult anyone else who tries to help you.

Happy hunting!

I apologize for what was mistaken for an insult. I had no intention of insulting you but now re-reading my post I can see how you did take it that way. The point of my post was just to try and figure out why these settings didn't work for me and if anyone might suggest something different. This is only my 2nd time out with the XP so I am still pretty clueless to its "language". Someone else pointed out that I might not be hearing all of the nuances of the tones using the ear buds that I have. I also have the full headphones that I can try to see if the audio is better with them. I just need to stick with it and learn the language.

I Would have only made one change on them setting and put the iron volume to around 2 or 3 and avoiding cans is easily done with just raising the coil to eliminate them large targets especially after digging a few.

good luck and HH
AFM

Let me start out by syaing you are doing exactly what many others do when they get a new high end detector and that is head for the most trash-infested, mineralized, challengnig site you can find to test the detector and see what it can find. You can sum up that logic in two words . . . . .

[size=x-large]
>>>>> BAD IDEA <<<<<​
[/size]

Why? Well, you are starting with a new detector that responds differently than what you were used to and trying to see how it handles conditions that would shut down most detectors out there. Do you know what a piece of iron sounds lke with a coin next to it? Do you know what a piece of iron sounds like by itself in the ground? If not, is there any surprise that you are getting frustrated?

Even those of us with 100's of hours on the Deus hit sites where our abilities are put to the acid test . . . . as a matter of fact I hit a site this evening that was littered with trash - ferrous and non-ferrous - dating from last week to 100 years old. It took some tweaking settings and some hard concentration listening for the signals I was hoping to hear but I did pull three Indian Heads and an 1897 Barber dime . . . and it was touch going for sure. The guy that was with me was an experienced hunter using a top end detector but he tossed in the twoel after 45 minutes of finding not one good target.

I always tell people to start out at a site where you can learn the machine. I have a line in the book that reads "Avoid the Trash . . . At Least Initially" and that is the best advice we can give you. Save the site littered with cans until you have a little run time on the Deus. We can give you settings but questions such as what is the soil conditions in your area, what coil are you using, etc. play a factor into any advice we give you. Understanding WHY someone uses specific settings is essential - simply loading what others use without understanding what they do is a receipe for disaster.

Take a little time and you will find the Deus speaks to you the way your other detectors have.

Andy Sabisch

I appreciate everyones advise. I guess I shouldn't expect to master the XP any quicker than I did the MXT, T2 or the Etrac. I'll give it some time and use it at some of my sites that are not so trashy. This weekend I'll be hunting in a field that saw activity from the mid 18th century up to the mid 19th century. In the past the targets have either been iron or good conductive finds. The first time I used the XP was at this site and I pulled a 1600's hammered Morrocan coin. That's not a bad start!

Big iron, rusty cans will take some getting used to with your deus. You will notice more of a nice rise and fall of the tone on most good targets. Turning 90 degrees and resweeping may give a clue to junk/iron. Changing freq may help too. Sizing your target will also help. Also learning the nonmotion modes will aid in your quest. I like running my iron vol =0 unless I'm in a strange place and trying to located iron for evidence of human activity. Don't give up on the deus yet. It's a killer for sure once you get used to it. And no matter what detector you run you will always dig some junk/iron. Rusty nail tips can fool even the best detector and best detectorists at times. If anyone tries to tell you any different they aren't detecting in my book. Try keeping your reactivity at 2 and set your tone break at 35-40 and disc at 6.8-8 for now. When I run my iron volumne at 0, I will resweep and maybe reposition my body and resweep on any kind of tone reported whatsoever. At times I have found my deus honing in better on the target and producing cleaner/nicer tone. I have even had some targets respond with a low tone and then eventually give high tone after getting coil centered over target and maybe even adjusting sweep speed.

Keep at it. It just takes a little time.

i did a garden test with all my machines and the deus came out the worst for ID ing tin cans ,the T2 was usuually spot on ,and even the old Tesoro did well on tin cans