Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dumb question but here goes

seaweednh

I have a Tesoro Super Traq. Wasn't really impressed with the performance and set it aside. I kept looking at the reviews and I figured I'd read the manual and see if I was doing something wrong. I did the initial ground balance and ran it over a coin that is buried 6" in the ground while in disc. mode with no disc. and full sensitivity. The response is a broken signal at best. Ok, it's a gold detector so I took a good size 14kt wedding band, nothing? Put it in all metal and a good strong signal.

The question is, shouldn't this machine pick up a gold band in disc.?

if the discriminator is low enough to pick up the gold it should pick it up
it should be set where it picks up a cigarett pack or a big wad of foil if looking for gold rings

Most detectors which have an all metal mode and a discriminate mode lose some depth when switched from all metal to disc. How much depth is lost depends on different factors such as the mineralisation of the soil, how much discrimination you use, and the quality of the detector, or how the detector is set up by the manufacturer. I have various detectors of various brands which all go deeper in all metal than they do in discriminate mode, even if the discrimination is turned way down. Hope this helps...

Furious T said:
Most detectors which have an all metal mode and a discriminate mode lose some depth when switched from all metal to disc. How much depth is lost depends on different factors such as the mineralisation of the soil, how much discrimination you use, and the quality of the detector, or how the detector is set up by the manufacturer. I have various detectors of various brands which all go deeper in all metal than they do in discriminate mode, even if the discrimination is turned way down. Hope this helps...

That is true that there can be more sensitivity in all metal. I just want to verify that in fact that the Lobo will or will not pick up a 14 kt gold ring in disc. In my case, within a half inch of the coil it had absolutely no response. I have to make a decision to send it to the factory or send it to the land fill.

seaweednh said:
Furious T said:

That is true that there can be more sensitivity in all metal. I just want to verify that in fact that the Lobo will or will not pick up a 14 kt gold ring in disc. In my case, within a half inch of the coil it had absolutely no response. I have to make a decision to send it to the factory or send it to the land fill.
Send it in. Something's wrong.

I agree with Slingshot...Send that thing in.

At minimum disc that ring should be screaming at you.

Your Traq is sick...Send it back to the doctor.

Good Luck

n/t

I agree your Super Traq sounds ill.

Of course, most metal detectors go deeper when you run in all metal mode. Any discrimination you use past IRON and you will start knocking out gold.

I found a really nice 2.6 gram 14kt gold ring this past weekend with my Compadre.

The farther into the FOIL range I went, the choppier the signal got. Past FOIL and the single disappeared altogether.

So you really have to watch that discrimination.

Good luck to you in your hunts!

The LST is a great coin and artefact machine, I use it more than the VAQ. I've found gold with both the elliptical and concentric coil. As a matter of fact, with the Sens. set at three, I dug a gold hammered not two months ago. There is something wrong with either the control box or the coil - send them BOTH in, the"ll get to the bottom of it

Did you "Ground Balance" the machine, by pumping it up and down until the "Threshold" went quiet? Your threshold should be set to a mosquito humm. The Lobo SuperTraq is fully capable of finding a BB-sized piece of gold at 6" - I know because I've done it. Read the manual, and if it isn't perfoming send it to Tesoro for repair. You have a gold finding MONSTER.

yep. sick puppy or as the usual in my case, my error. the trac is a monster, and the tesoro wizard will let you know promptly if man or machine. they have always done mine right. i have to read my manual occassionally on my eldo when i go to different soils to ground balance. or knock the knobs off where they are set for my regular freshwater beach hunts. it should get a ring with no problem, and better than most. my eldo will. like terry said about the nugget. where i dont have natural gold to hunt, i find earring backs with mine! i run at foil and dig trash too, part of it. the threshold is important. the completely silent hunt may not be the best.