Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

e-trac and bottle caps on the beach

is it just me or have others found that the trac actually does not like bottle caps like my excal. or F75

sometime sound is iffy to fluttering and numbers never fixed. it seems when u want to find caps they are gone as well. i dug two real deep ones on tues. and initially sound/tone was iffy and jumping, but it told me something was there.........not a null, but once hitting I M, it was clear it was junk, so now i dig to just i d what it is - nice big fat rusty cap.

so far the discrimination factor of this trac is great, but i have not had it very long.

how do others find it

max

Hi max,

which headphones are you using and have you tried different ones?? and ehich ones do you like the best? are you using the stock 11in. coil?.

i ordered my etrac and should be at my door tomorrow the 17th. really looking forward to it. i selected the accusound headphones . and i ordered the 12.5 in. excellerator coil for the beach. have you or know anyone who has used this coil?.

thanks

mikeB
excalswinger

Hi Max,

When you talk about bottle caps, I think about the older painted ferrous bottle caps that when are mostly rusted and when detected, will sit well within the screen area that indicates that the target is iron .......BUT......there are the more modern ferrous/anodized(aluminum coated or some non ferrous metal coat )versions of these crown caps that are far more difficult to exclude ENTIRELY by using a discrimination pattern .

This may explain why we don't get a null on all iron crown caps.......some seem as to be coated in an aluminum or other non ferrous coat that will cause the e-trac and also the explorer to give a differing signal that is dependent on how much of that coat is left. That's what it seems like to me anyway. It is a different tone but not an ferrous one that you would hear in an eg: Open screen ferrous 4 tone setup.

So know what the situation with detecting these crown caps is may be of .....Can the E-trac "see" or rather detect the iron content of a target enshrouded in this non ferrous coat? Hmmmmm......???? It seems to LIKE these targets if anything and they probably should not ALL be excluded by way of the fact that you may not detect SOME gold jewelry if you do.

I to have dug a few real deep targets on the beach that I thought might have been non ferrous items....only to find one of these more modern anodized crown caps....the digital number reading might be the key when it comes to deciding to dig or you can go by the tone id using 4 tone ferrous or multi-tone conduct. Some of these tone and digital value seem to fall into an area that will also have gold jewelry.........though jewelry is a more repeatable on not so broken up signal.....it seems.

It's taking a bit of getting used to using the E-trac, but I to like what it does with it's discrimination and am looking forward to learning this detector top it's complete abilities(these of course are also dependent on my learning abilities.

David Di

my short relic hunting last year. can not wait to give this trac a spin in the dirt to see how it compares to the F75 is just traded off. i really like that machine for the dirt, but i looked at it like this..........................i hunt the beach or bay80 to 90% of the time and someplace else once in a while. the F75 worked ok on the beach, but was not great like the minelab detectors and i did not buy it to hunt the beach.

from the way this e-trac sounds, it will be great in both locations

Headphones: on the trac and F75 is used black widows by detector pro - they knock out all the wind and wave noise and are very comfortable

on my excaliburs i use underwater Gray Ghosts

Max, love looking and reading your posts on the lane! I too used a F75 on the dirt and beach. Like you i can hunt both places if i want. The 75 is a great machine in the dirt, it did ok on the beach. Since i never owned a Minlab before it will be an education to see how it proforms at both places. I have some really big old parks here in NYC.

What kind of settings are you useing on the beach with the trac?

Mine is inbound

auto
neutral
fast off
deep on
var. 30
conductive
low trash

this is how i started out - thanks BC
i have increase threshold some to be able to hear over waves and wind

have messed with the sensitivity in auto...............+1 +2 +3 - seems to run smoother at A or +1 on my beach - gets upwards to 22 or so.

plan on more testing this weekend - got a new 8" coil yesterday for it, may give it a spin just to see how it does

do u ever hunt coney island .................i have hunted there seveal times with alex from brighton beach - always wanted to go to jones, but not so far.
girlfriend's daughter lives in east brooklyn, so i catch the F train to coney

I went there once. Nice beach to detect. I have a smaller beach about 2 min from my house that i hit. Thanks for the settings!

CIMG0634.jpg

CIMG0632.jpg

CIMG0629.jpg

Max , The only difference between Beach and Parks and footy fields is the colour of the coins when they come out, Usually the beach coins are fairly new drops, and the parks have been there a while and need cleaning up, :rofl: And also , Parks are easier on your ankles and knees:nopity: