Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E Trac Numbers

ky digger

You guys probably don't remember any of my posts as I haven't been on for a while. I've spent a lot of time in the UK detecting over the years and 35 plus years detecting in Kentucky. I've had no less than 9 Minelabs over the past 10 years or so. Got a new E Trac last Friday thanks to a fine gentleman at Dixie Metal Detectors in Tennessee. Anyway, been reading the posts and the ferrous numbers had me stumped. I took the machine out today for about three hours, then came back home and took 30 years worth of finds and recorded their numbers as I passed them under the loop at about the 6 inch level using what Minelab calls "Latch" mode. Latch just allows me to pop a square on a black screen to accept a target when passed under the loop.

Man oh man are the results different from previous Minelabs. I passed UK hammered coins, cut hammered coins, quarter hammereds, nice romans, ugly romans, silver romans, bronze romans, gold staters, celtic trade gold, English jettons, farthings, groats, a half real, a full real, a silver spoon, and every US coin from large cents forward. I then passed buttons under the loop from the civil war, revolutionary war, and english militaries. The results are so unusual I am going to ask for opinions. My first impression however, is that the range of targets has been limited to a much smaller band than before. In short, we should be able to identify deep targets with a great deal more accuracy since we now have an all new indicator to look at. Here are the totals:

88 items identified
1 cut up english hammered had a ferrous of 10
16 items were ferrous 11. Included in this group were hammered full pennies, silver groat, half dime
us, half real, full real, Roosevelt silver dime, barber 25c, seated quarter, and standing liberty
quarter. There was also 1 CSA Birmingham civil war button in this group.
71 items were ferrous 12 including the spoon, all of the buttons, etc. There was a 2c piece, and a 3
cent nickel in there along with shield nickels, half dimes, the works.

The non ferrous numbers ran the range from 1 through 46. The clad penny read as 12/37 which was the same as the half dimes and the half real. Looks like depth will make the difference with these most of the time.

I would have thought all the silver would have come in in a small grouping, but that is not to be. Here is the range of ferrous/non ferrous readings;

farthings 12/1
cut hammered 12/3
cut half hammered 12/4
Elizabeth farthings 12/9
Edward hammered penny 12/10
Edward hammered penny 12/12 - 12/12 - 12/13
silver Jefferson 5c USA - 12/14
1/2 groat - 12/15
Henry 8Th penny - `12/15
Elizabeth half groat - 12/17
James 1st groat - 12/20
Elizabeth groat - 12/25
Mary and Phillip groat - 12/31
half real - 11/38
half dime 12/37
full real - 12/40
Roosevelt silver dime - 11/43
Mercury dime - 12/43
barber dime - 12/43
seated dime 12/44
barber 25c - 11/45
seated quarter - 11/45
standing liberty - 11/46

Here are the button readings:

Naval cuff button civil war - 12/12
small flat button - 12/13
revolutionary war naval button - 12/16
large naval button civil war - 12/18
small civil war eagle button - 12/34
civil war "A" button - 12/35
KY state seal button - 12/39
large eagle button civil war -- 12/42

Not sure what to make of it all just yet, but you can bet I will dig everything that comes in with a ferrous reading of 11 or 12.

Sure would like you thoughts on this...........

Good hunting all....................................

I readily agree at this point to dig most targets with a ferrous of 11-12 and conduct from 13 or above at this time in the US but keep in mind that chewed up aluminum can pieces are coming in at 12 ferrous too and the conductive numbers increase with the size/mass of the target. I figured I would try cutting out all the crap and just try and dig only coins today which worked great with the programmed coins program in the E-Trac. I can't wait to see what new users come up with this machine that can help all of us learn it and do better with it. Thanks for taking the time to record all those target values...HH

I guess I am not really worried about the ferrous sharing readings on coins, unless the trash is hitting in that tight of a range as well, sharing Exact ferrous/conduct coordinates. If you do some trash targets, please let us know if the tones are crappy sounding or smooth like coins Some trash numbers for comparison would be the biggest help and maybe MattR will dump them them into his graph he made if he has the time and desire. Nice of you both to share this info.:beers:

I remember you and I also know the Gent from Dixie Detectors you speak so highly of ... David is a great guy to deal with, knows his Minelabs and is a personal friend of mine.
These are the kind of post that need to be pinned at the top of this forum so not to be lost in the mad shuffle, I know it was time consuming ... but appreciated ... for sure !

Earlier in the week I spoke with Andy Sabisch on the phone for well over a hour about the E-Trac. Most of you that frequent this forum now know that he was heavily involved with all the trial and errors of field testing that went into this project. Since the E-Trac's release we've also seen others that are actually contributing in positive ways to help the eager and curious souls like myself make sense of this all NEW Minelab powerhouse.
I don't have one yet ... can't afford it ... but I will when time & $$$ permits. I'm very excited about this machine and find myself checking this particular forum 5 - 6 times a day now to see what's being posted ...

I applaud you all for the efforts being made to share the knowledge ... it makes for some good reading.

Good Hunting
Mike

You missed the point.........I only recorded good targets. All the junk is coming in somewhere else. You can see a few examples in the post done a little bit later today. I think if you dig all 11/12/13 targets they will almost all be keepers if deep. Could be wrong but will be fun finding out................