Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Trac project mod - shooting for a 3lb beast!

Critter - I'm keeping the speaker in the pod, at least as long as I keep filming. I don't think balance is over rated though. I can think of two very light units. The Omega 8000 and the Deus. After many hours they both annoyed my back. Now, that would vary according to if my back muscles were cramping up and being sensitive or not. But when I first got the Deus, yeah I thought "This is so light." but I also noticed how it was coil heavy. I think the balance vs. weight issue is actually complex. I say that because it is really dependent on a persons personal "problems" and sensitivities physically and such. So, maybe for you balance isn't as important but for me it is. Just a thought.

I'll try to post some pics of the bottom of the pod as well as the top of the X-Terra 705 handle this weekend. I look forward to some suggestions regarding connecting the two. I am leaning toward an aluminum connector between the two.

David, thanks for all the ideas and such. I agree, these types of threads are really a help to us all. Regarding the balance, I think we are on the same page. Very creative thinking with those connectors on the back of the pod there!

Albert

Here are some pics of the next challenge. The first is the top of the X-Terra 705 Handle. The next two are a head on shot of the bottom of the E-Trac pod and one at an angle (to give some depth perspective). What do you all think is the best way to join the handle to the pod? I am leaning towards an aluminum piece in between the two. Note - The plastic piece at the top of the handle is an insert. The two screws you see are screwed into a partial channel - meaning if I was to take that insert out and just screw directly into the two partial channels, there would be risk of stripping, so I will leave the plastic insert screwed in.

2jbvcly.jpg

14cs8c3.jpg

2hwi6p1.jpg

Albert,

What does the X-terra control box end look like?

Do you intend to route the wiring through the handle? Is that what the hole between the 2 screws is?

Do you intend to keep the coil connector as was or are you re-routing it?

An aluminium tube insert shaped like the Etrac handle end would work would as an adaptor. Better if you can shape and weld it to suit. Even better if you could make one from a mould... there are a few other possibilities and if you have the need to I'll draw them as well.

I actually made an insert out of beaten out to mould it as the same shape as the handle end insert of the Explorer from I think what was round 25mm copper tube. It was relatively easy to work with as heating it mildly softened it then beating it to the squarish shape hardened the copper. It only required some soldering to the bits that allowed me to connect it to a whites handle, that has a similar shape. Would have shown you this adapter, but have no pics of it at the moment.

However you adapt it and I am sure you may already be aware of this, you would want to make sure that you can still access the the thumb push-button controls of the control panel as easily as the Etrac original set-up.

and oh for multi angle adjustable screen(swivel adapter for the control panel head maybe).

Based on what you've shown and said about the X-terra handle, I am only guessing what can be done.

Hope my rough drawing helps out with an idea.

David Di

Thanks for the post David. Here is a post I made on another forum regarding the inside of the handle, along with the pic.

Here is a picture of the inside of the handle and the two partial channels. The plastic insert is somewhat visible in the pic also, but out of focus. Just taking it out and putting it back in again, one of the screws had trouble going back in, so I really don't think I will be taking it out again. Fabricating something out of aluminum or plastic is probably the plan.

ogl36b.jpg

The wiring will go through the handle, but I still need to drill the hole at the bottom of the handle. I need a longer bit as I don't want to go through the bottom of the tube and put two holes in it, if you know what I mean.

I'm keeping the coil connector, or would like to. Hot glue will hold it well in place. If I create an insert, I would like to still have the coil connector inside it. And yes, I thought of an aluminum tube as you are stating. I'll have to see if any of my friends have more tools than me.

Keeping the pod right on the plastic top of the handle would allow for easy access to the E-Trac controls.

Any pics you have or can take, please do. Even if I don't go that way, others may find it useful for future mods.

I have to go through your post again later, have to run.

Thanks so much,
Albert

I've got my SE all ready to wire. Right now I'm using a 8AA pack. This gives me a 3 lb 5 oz unit. That makes it 14 oz lighter. I'm going to check the balance and then take out some batteries to simulate a Li Po pack which is 4 oz lighter. With the LI Po I would have the 3lb 1 oz unit. Should be finished Monday.

The unit is 2 pieces, a short Whites S handle rod and a lower tall man rod.

Good news, I got the pod wired and mounted to the new shaft. All I have to do tomorrow is wire the battery and jack. They are the easy part. Now the better news. With the pod mounted and all together with the 8AA's in place the final weight, 3lbs 1oz. This was with the Pro Coil so it should be about the same as with the Ultimate 13". It will be heavier with the 10x12 SEF but I wanted to compare to Minelab's listed weight.

I'm going to try it this way, but with the Li PO you could shed a couple more OZ.

I believe this is what Minelab should have already been working on - a 3 pound Etrac. This is what I thought they were working on when they brought out the CTX3030. If they made the light weight Etrac with a more clear and color display for about the same money they would sell a ton of them. Plus add a brighter backlight too..... I was going to make my etrac lighter but decided to buy accessories for it instead.

If possible, try to use a gutted arm-rest type battery setup from a broken detector. What this does is solve the battery compartment and arm-rest issue. Plus, can give the appearance of a factory setup.

Here's an Explorer XS mod I did several years ago, very light and well balanced. Go with an S-handle, the design of the Explorer series meter housing works best with an S-handle. Plus, you can easily fasten the meter above the hand grip.

Good luck with your mod, please share a pic or two when it's completed.

Paul (Ca)

How light is it Paul? I had to eliminate the middle rod and use a light project box to get my weight.

Hello Rob,

Good job with your mod, bet you can hunt for longer periods.

I'm not sure what the weight is but it's between 3-4 pounds with batteries, getting the weight down does help but what really helps is eliminating the plastic Explorer setup.

Even though the Explorer models appeared solid, the combination of metal/plastic creates twisting and flexing while swinging the coil. The twisting and little flexing which is hardly notable is what made the Explorer feel bulky and heavy.

Those that modify the Explorer, just going to a solid metal handle will feel an improvement. Of course reducing the weight helps too but most of the balanced improvement will be from switching to a metal handle.

Here's a close up shot with the meter cover off, this is my old trusty Explorer XS. Kept the headphone jack at the rear in the battery compartment and went with a 1/4" plug. I never did care for the X-Terra models with the headphone jack on the meter panel, I feel that alone can knock off the balance.

Take care,
Paul (Ca)

I'll get some close up pictures tomorrow. I didn't have power today to finish my soldering.

No hurry Rob,

Even if you can't post pics that's ok main thing is take you time on the mod.

I'm the same person (Paul Ca.) who posted above, Old California same person with two user names. I know why two user names, occassionly get PMS from both so I left the other account open.

Years ago asked to close my account, was burned out took a break from internet so when I came back later opened a new account thinking the old was closed. Fortunately, it was still open glad it was allot of good information was savaged from those PMS.

Anyway, Enjoy the hobby and enjoy your mod.

Paul (Ca)