Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

E-Trac's misty morning in the woods.........MattR.UK

MattR

[size=medium]Today, Sunday, started off as a foggy morning here locally.
It felt like a day suitable for testing out the E-Trac, but where to go?

I needed somewhere quiet and free from public hassle, to spend some quality time, testing the E-trac on real targets. So I headed for a well pounded location that has seen over 20 years of being searched. The last visit with the F75 produced only 3 coins. One silver shilling and two old copper pennies. Pennies @ 10 and 12 inches.
The shilling at 10 inches under a tree root, a great find.

Popular in the days of few cars and long sunny summers days, the

And someone posted that I had the only good one of the first bunch of E-tracs sold,I guess you got lucky as well and got a good one to.Keep the posts coming so I can drool over the (real) old finds from across the pond,Ray.

Nice finds! Sounds like a great hunt. One thing I noticed in testing the E-Trac was that when targets were getting near the depth limit and started giving the broken audio and erratic TID that you mentioned I found that sweeping the coil faster over the target cleaned up the audio and gave a better more consistent TID. I thought that was interesting since on many detectors you actually have to slow your sweep over a deep target to get a better signal. Anyway it's something to try the next time you are out detecting with the E-Trac.

Again congrats on a great day of detecting!

HH

Beachcomber

Hi Beach..Coen...Ray.. and all. Yes, it seems like we UK mob had an interesting day.

It tickled me to read the phrase "Across the pond" in some folks posts.

With all the rain that's be dumped on both UK and US continents, the bloody pond in between should be almost empty !!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for the tip on sweeping faster to improve matters. At today's location it was impossible to get a wide sweep because of undergrowth and surface wood debris. I was generally running in AUTO (16) with + 3. In areas of deep debris overlay, I'd flick into manual and run SENS. at about 22.
My PATTERN working screen was ported across from a modified clear QUICK-MASK after I'd upped the Fe mask to 25, and added a few points to the CON range, This was to back off small silver paper fragments. Ran through virtually the full orchestration of sounds, and settled on 2 tones, Ferrous. I'd have to take a peek at the other settings, but they originated from RELIC mode.

The recent heavy rains had created great heaps of material of various kinds, and also amazing ruts in the ground. In all my years of visiting that location, I've never seen such water 'damage'.

It was very difficult to take close-up photos. Not enough natural light in the denser parts of the woods, and using flash just bleached details.

As a final note, I tried rinsing the soil off a couple of the coins, for some date evidence. I found one more silver sixpence (1909), The clump of 4 copper pennies had young Victoria's head....dates on the inner side....left them to soak. They tie in with the period of that local's hay days. The bunch of coins still have traces of the fabric that they were in when lost. I didn't see any evidence of a purse. Perhaps they were in a handkerchief?.........memories of yesterday....

Four pence in those days was really a tidy sum for any child to have. You would only pay a half penny for the bus ride.

Well, it's almost midnight here, so I'll wish you all the best in the USA, and hope you have had a good day...........MattR.UK

coins coming in at 20, but the cut off in coin mode is closer to 15, so we may need to open the screen more.. and maybe thats the problem I am having with mine.. my ground is quite ferrous also.. this is one of the reasons we need an open screen and be able to hunt with it without an overwhelming amount of high tones.. The explorer would have also seen those coins using the iron mask and ferrous audio I am sure.. were you in auto sensitivity and if so what number did it settle on and or what manual setting were you at if in manual to get that depth?

n/t