Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eagle Officer's Sword Belt Plate!

jcweber77

Well, left the house to go coin hunting at a site dating back to 1815. Tons of trash and only dug a couple coins (early 1900's pennys) but that didn't really matter once i came across what's in the photo below.

A nice mini ball and my best CW find ever... a Eagle Officer's Sword Belt Plate!! (Dug the buckle at 16"!! Gotta love this e-trac)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks!! and yes, it sure did!! It gave a solid (although very weak) 12-46 from all directions. I kept, digging and digging...and was about to give up thinking it was something huge buried really deep then found the edge of it. The top corner is bent back slightly -- but other than that, it's in very good condition. Definitely my best civil war find. It started to rain, so i had to leave -- but will definitely be going back.

Super find. Great job on following that deep signal down to paydirt. !!! :thumbup::usaflag: Awesome . cch

Doesn't get much better than that, Good job.

A real beauty......:clapping:

Richard -- that's it...exactly 51x83. The tongue is partially missing, but would have been 1 inch.

Question on cleaning to anyone that may know... Should i leave it in the condition that it's in? Or use something to bring a shine back to the brass? What are your thoughts?

Its a personal preference and there are several options but if it were up to me --- a little warm water & dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush to clean the dirt away and I'd let it be in my shadow box ... I like the dug / rustic look condition that its in. Anything that adds to a non-dug look to CW brass is usually not what most relic collectors want. JMHO.

Great find ! CCH

will pop off if you are not careful. you could spray it with scrubbing bubbles then rinse it good, that should lift most of the loose dirt. again I would be careful with brushing, you don't want the wreath coming off. try the scrubbing bubbles let it sit for a minute then rinse. It looks pretty like it is.