Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eagle Spectrum Backlight Trouble

clockdryve

Got an Eagle the other day at local pawn shop. Everything looked good at the purchase site. Got detector home and got online to download the manual. After going through the menu I noticed that the backlight would not turn on. Anyone know if the whole meter LCD will need to be replaced (cost of this) or if there is some sort of bulb (?) that can be replaced?? (how do I open up the meter)Also....when it is powered up shows version 1 software (is there a software upgrade) also is (C 91')assume that is the year of chip. Are there any MODS for this detector. I had a Whites Eagle with Eagle II chip mod-update 3 years ago (used it very little) *but missed it after trade* \\\\\Any comments on the Eagle Spectrum ///// What is the BEST all time EAGLE produced? Hope I did'nt post in the wrong place. Saw questions posted at this forum. Any or all questions answered are welcome!! :)

The light is an electroluminescent strip not a bulb. A new display costs $70. I heard that there is somebody who refurbishes them for $35 but never figured out who it was. I'd like to find out myself.

They are very commonly burned out.

Eagle Spectrum is a really good machine...I liked it better than the XLT. Thought it was smoother sounding, more stable, and maybe a bit hotter.... and ,oh yeah, HEAVIER!

I used Eagle II SLs quite a bit and the Eagle Spectrum too but can't make up my mind which one I like more, possibly the Eagle II, but only because you can adjust sensitivity and signal balance on the fly without going into menus. For any other adjustment on the Eagle II, you need to have the manual in your pocket.

It used to be standard practice for Eagle Spectrum users to have the light disabled because, though adjustable, you couldn't completely turn it off. So it stole battery life and you couldn't sneak around at nite. Following the pack, had it done to mine, so I imagine there are many out there like this.

Dave

I wouldn't worry about the backlight either, mine doesn't work but i don't hunt after dark anyway and may be just as well to get a Petzel headlamp or something similar if you do. Great detector BTW but a bit heavy and forward leaning with 950 coil however nice balance with 5.3 Black max in my opinion. Just learn it and use it, gotta be one of the better units ever. I have the XLT and i'm keeping my Spectrum till the guts blow or the detector quits :lol: HH Bill

It is a whole unit replacement if it is the LCD but it could be back at the circuit board (I didn't know people had the backlite disabled till today). There was a check to see where the problem is that involved turning the backlight up to maximum brightness and listening for a hum. I assume that if everything is O.K. at the circuit board then you will hear a noise even though the LCD is not lit.
I may have this the wrong way round though ...I'm getting old and crackers. Perhaps someone will know what I'm talking about.
My favourite Spectrum was the Slimline version just prior to the XLT.

This brings up a question.
I have a Eagle Spectrum that never had the backlight disabled but still does not work. Would it pull current even if it is dead?
I never really used the backlight enough to justify a early burnout. Are they prone to getting a loose connection which causes failure?
And how do you open the display housing?

No warranty to void at this point...

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions. I thought I would be left in the dark here :drunk: Will be looking for a way to open up the meter now. As for the meter humming........I do remember my old eagle with the II chip upgrade-It would hum with the backlight turned on, so you may have something there. I think the Eagle Spectrum does have a problem with the meters (probably backlight) I saw a post of guy looking for a detector>>>>He said that he didn't want an Eagle because of the shoddy meter??? :poke: