Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ear buds adapter

john67

I just bought a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter so I can use the 1/8th inch ear buds in the summer and tried all my detectors and only getting sound in 1 ear. any ideas?

Those adapters comes in a 2 conductor (mono) and a 3 conductor (stereo) and a 4 conductor for stereo with a mic.
your adapter could be bad, but you need to make sure the adapter is a 3 conductor stereo type.

These adapters are also made to convert Stereo to mono, so you will most likely need the stereo to stereo.

Mark

john67 said:
thanks mark I learn something new everyday. good thing I only payed 3 bucks for it.

If its just a size adapter then it will be either stereo to stereo or mono to mono.

You can look at the metal tips (male ends) and determine how many conductors it is, the plastic (black most times) bands are insulators between each conductor, single band divides two metal conductors, double bands divides three metal conductors.
See pictures below,
the two conductor would be one hot wire and one ground.
the three conductor would be two hot and one ground, or to say, one left hot, one right hot and a shared ground.

Mark

I guess the one I have is a 3 conductor then. not sure what I need then as I'm only getting sound in one ear with a 3 conductor?

I have a set of gray ghosts that I normally use but I was thinking the ear buds would be nice for those 85 degree days.

john67 said:
I guess the one I have is a 3 conductor then. not sure what I need then as I'm only getting sound in one ear with a 3 conductor?

Okay, is the male plug on your headphones a 3 conductor? (I know the earbuds are)
And I take it that your headphones has audio in both ears when they are plugged into the same detector?
If so then you need a 1/8" female stereo to 1/4" male stereo adapter.
Something like this, not that you have to order this, but you can use it for information purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/VCE-2-PACK-6-35mm-Adapter-3-Conductor/dp/B01EJ5UV3C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1491017965&sr=8-5&keywords=1%2F4%22+male+stereo+to+1%2F8%22+female+stereo+adapter

Also, if you have a device to test your earbuds in that would be good too.
Mark

"John67"
What your trying to do is normally very simple and I have the same setup for earbuds in my take along detector bag. The adapter to size the 1/4" male to a 1/8" female works really well.
In your case you may have the right adapter but it could be defective, if you can dig up the package it came in there should be enough information on it to determine if its the correct adapter or not.

One point in my above post that I was trying to make is to confirm your headphones and earbuds have audio in both ears, if you don't have a small audio device to test your earbuds you can just plug them into the headphone jack of any computer! (or laptop)

Once your equipment is tested working then the fault falls to your adapter and that being either defective or the wrong thing even though the ports on it are the right size. The adapter you need is very common.

Now, the whole idea you have for using earbuds is also a good option to have! certain locations with very little surrounding noises and where your not hunting extra deep the earbuds are GREAT! they are very lightweight and they are for sure not as hot on the ears.

Mark

thanks Mark I went ahead and just ordered the one in the link you gave me. if it doesn't work I'm only out 5 bucks. it wasn't the ear buds I tried 3 different pair.