Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ears breaking off 10.5" coil.

jtram

Christmas Day I was trying a new spot looking for civil war relics. Started finding a few bullets and about an hour and a half into the dig both ears broke of my 10.5" 7.5 kHz coil. I have seen where this has happened to others in the past.

First question I have I what is the length of warranty on the coil ? Since this has been a reoccurring issue does ML just replace the coil ?

If ML chooses not to replace the coil what options do I have to make repairs to the coil ?

Had anyone ever tried having a plastic welder repair the ears and build up the outside for more support ?

Thanks for any advice
Jim

Here's a thread on the same subject.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1826569,page=1

If it's still under warranty Minelab will replace it quickly, no problem.

Thanks Old Longhair I had read that thread before making the post. I thought some might have a more recent occurrence that could provide an experience or a solution or fix. Thanks for your reply hopefully Minelab will get back to me shortly. I called and it went to voicemail and I have sent a couple of emails just waiting on a response.

During the holidays is probably not a good time. Everyone's schedule gets scrambled 'til after the 1st. (mine sure did!)
At least by leaving the voicemail you have establish an initial contact, in case you're nearing warranty expiration.

Minelab responded to my email and sent a shipping label. Coil has been boxed up and sent in.

Thanks Minelab.

n/t

Glad that they took care of you! :clapping:

It's good to hear people say that their CS is up to snuff! Seems the haters out there latch on to every little negative instance to harp on, but don't want to admit all of the times that Minelab's CS is as good or better than their favorite.
Historically it wasn't always so, and a lot of the horror stories are ancient, but since opening the new facilities I have to say that I haven't heard too many complaints.

Here is some of the stuff I was finding when the coil gave out. Sure glad I had the CTX for a back up.

I had that problem back in july 2013. I live in about the middle of Illinois and was getting ready to leave for a contract in South Carolina. I contacted Minelab and Darin Brown responded in an email to me. Fortunately I was headed to Michigan for a week before South Carolina and was able to drive by Minelab and pick up the new coil. He also gave me a couple sets of the bushings that go in there between the coil and the lower arm. Minelab is a great company and a great set of people.

As I read this I wonder.... I recently learned that if you buy a lower pole as I did for my new 6" coil, it doesn't come with the rubber lower rod inserts for mounting the coil. For some unknown reason they are now only sold as a remount kit from Minelab for $20, even when purchasing a $45 lower pole you don't get them. I was told that at one time you could just purchase the rubber pieces but no longer. If the rubber pieces are missing, I'm wondering if guys are having the ears pulled in too far resulting in breakage? Just a thought.... so glad that they stood behind it!

hotrod53 said:
As I read this I wonder.... I recently learned that if you buy a lower pole as I did for my new 6" coil, it doesn't come with the rubber lower rod inserts for mounting the coil. For some unknown reason they are now only sold as a remount kit from Minelab for $20, even when purchasing a $45 lower pole you don't get them. I was told that at one time you could just purchase the rubber pieces but no longer. If the rubber pieces are missing, I'm wondering if guys are having the ears pulled in too far resulting in breakage? Just a thought.... so glad that they stood behind it!

Agreed!

I often wonder when I see these posts about the broken ears if this is someone that bought their detector with the gold pack coil or if they purchased a lower rod to use with any other coil than the gold pack coil and didn't know that they needed the rubber spacers that are sold seperatly. The gold pack coil only requires a little hard plastic shim to attach the coil so if you are going to use the lower rod from a gold pack kit with pretty much any other coil you'll need the rubber spacers. I took some time to take a few pictures with and without these rubber spacers for anyone that may be questioning what they have or were unaware of this.

In the first picture, this is a lower rod without the spacer. The second picture shows it with the spacer. Pictures 3 and 4 are without and with the space from a top view. You'll notice how much that spacer adds to each side keeping you from pulling the ears in too close to the center of the coil.

If you notice in the 5th picture although it's kind of hard to see but the ears angle out wider as they near the coil body ending up with more space. If you don't have the spacers in you really need to crank the wing nut pretty tight to get the coil to ears to tighten down against the rod/shaft.

The last picture shows that I was able to fit a quarter between the rod and the coil ear without the spacers installed. Although that may not seem like that much space you would be surprised with those ears widening out where they attach to the coil just how much more space there is near the coil. The coil shown is a 10.5" coil.

I'll add a picture of the back side of a spacer in the following post being that I can only post 6 pictures at a time. That way anyone that isn't aware of this will know what you are looking for.

Here is a picture of the back side of one of the spacers.

Mine had the rubber grommets on the original lower shaft.

jtram said:
Mine had the rubber grommets on the original lower shaft.

That's not good news that those ears still broke with the spacers installed but I still have a feeling there are a lot of people that didn't realize that spacers were needed and ended up in a bad way. At least now people will have some reference with the photos that I've provided if they search for this topic in the future.

The replacement coil arrived today. Just wanted to let those of you know that were following this post.

thanks and while I was at my local ML dealer last week I got the whole kit with Velcro straps, nuts, bolts and those spacers but the little plastic spacers I don't know where they go if anybody knows about them. about as big around as a straw and 1/4" long

surfchunker said:
thanks and while I was at my local ML dealer last week I got the whole kit with Velcro straps, nuts, bolts and those spacers but the little plastic spacers I don't know where they go if anybody knows about them. about as big around as a straw and 1/4" long
Goes on the bolt before the wing nut

I just looked at both styles and don't seen where it is recessed or anything for them to go in and if they are not a bushing for wear I see no use for them. they wouldn't go inside of the shaft between the rubber spacers would they ?

Jim, those are some nice finds with the 705. How did the CTX do when you had to switch to it?