Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

East coast Gold

hunter12

I live in Maryland. I know noting about prospecting for gold ,other than what i see on T.V..I do find gold with my metal detectors, ring, ect. But noting in the raw.Is there gold in Maryland and surrounding states. How would one get started. I think panning for gold would be great for me and the wife for fun.

I read somewheres that Maryland has banned gold digging altogether. Too bad as some of the best USA gold came from Maryland and Virginia way back in the late 1700's, hand size nuggets from the stories I read and rich gold veins.Lots of iron rich red dirt and quartz in Virginia, just what they look for in the western US for gold.

-Tom V.

The other thing with eastern states is that so little of the land is public - most everything is private. Some 89% of Nevada is public land - only 11% is private. I think in most of the eastern states its the inverse and even more - like less than 10% of all land is public in most eastern states. That means that for nearly all prospecting, you need the permission of a land owner.

Hello,

Yes there is indeed gold in Maryland and Virginia. Back in the 80's I prospected Virginia for a a couple of years and even bought a small backpack dredge. I didn't use a metal detector for gold back then, only other treasures. I had a large collection of topo maps and other research material. Yes research land ownership and get permission. Dredging is OK in VA with proper permits and permission.

See this discussion for VA: Laws & Regulations for Dredging in VA:

http://au-prospecting.com/gold1/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3643

For MD:

Maryland has strict property right laws. Mining, panning and prospecting must be done with permission from the property owner; otherwise, you are trespassing. Collecting of rocks is prohibited on State owned lands unless permission is obtained from the Maryland Forest and Park Service. On Federal Park property, site of many of the old gold mines, permission must be obtained from the Superintendent of the Parks prior to any panning operations. One other caution is that it is extremely dangerous to enter any of the old mine shafts or openings.

In Maryland around Simpsonville, The Maryland Mine (once richest gold property in Maryland) gold in quartz, with silver and pyrite. Woodbine, MD, several area mines. Montgomery County MD., Great Falls Mine, gold with tetadymite.

Now I found a pretty good nugget while panning a small waterfall in a Creek in Virginia. This nugget is big enough for the ATX to have picked it up. The are has dumps, pits and trenches. I'm working on getting permission again to go in there when I decide to spend the money on an ATX.

Another place is where Wilderness run goes into the Rappahannock river. There is an old smelter chimney there. I went in there with my brother via canoe launched at Ely's Ford.

There are many an adventure waiting for me and maybe a partner?

And lastly, the place I found the nugget, I found a huge quartz vein, had it assayed and the result was 1/4 ounce gold per ton of ore and 3/4 ounce of silver per ton of ore.

HH all

Frank

Thanks for all the info.I wouldn't go any were with out permission on private land.I'll get started on research. Thanks.

"The other thing with eastern states is that so little of the land is public - most everything is private."

So maybe it's time we take merica BACK?

Robert2300 said:
"The other thing with eastern states is that so little of the land is public - most everything is private."

So maybe it's time we take merica BACK?

Well, I have to say, having land be private would be taking our country back. I have no problem with land being in private hands. The east coast was locked up in private hands probably by the early 19th century. That's nothing new, and in my eyes the right thing. The problem IMO is when we have public land, bought with public funds, that gets locked up by enviro nazis and indian tribe intrests. When you realize that some of the western states are over 75% owned by the Federal government and we can't utilize them, well that there is a problem. Or when we have private land and can't utilize our own land, that's really messed up.

BTW, to the original poster: Check out Central Virginia Gold Prospectors club in Dillwyn, VA. They're a great club with lots of lease land with gold on it. I've been a member for two years and always find some gold when I go.

I have been detecting for relics and coins for a few years, but another passion of mine is prospecting for gold. I started as a kid in Utah about 30 years ago with a couple homemade sluice boxes and a pan. You could go about anywhere to pan or sluice and no one would bother you. Now, however I live on the east coast (PA) and things are very different here. Access to the streams can be difficult due to so much private property but if you enjoy it enough you will find a way. Just a matter of talking to the farmers and that seems to get easier all the time. I used to belong to a prospecting club here, and I plan to rejoin this year. They even have a claim in Arizona ...!

Hello,

Yes there is indeed gold in Maryland and Virginia. Back in the 80's I prospected Virginia for a a couple of years and even bought a small backpack dredge. I didn't use a metal detector for gold back then, only other treasures. I had a large collection of topo maps and other research material. Yes research land ownership and get permission. Dredging is OK in VA with proper permits and permission.

For MD:

Maryland has strict property right laws. Mining, panning and prospecting must be done with permission from the property owner; otherwise, you are trespassing. Collecting of rocks is prohibited on State owned lands unless permission is obtained from the Maryland Forest and Park Service. On Federal Park property, site of many of the old gold mines, permission must be obtained from the Superintendent of the Parks prior to any panning operations. One other caution is that it is extremely dangerous to enter any of the old mine shafts or openings.

In Maryland around Simpsonville, The Maryland Mine (once richest gold property in Maryland) gold in quartz, with silver and pyrite. Woodbine, MD, several area mines. Montgomery County MD., Great Falls Mine, gold with tetadymite.

Now I found a pretty good nugget while panning a small waterfall in a Creek in Virginia. This nugget is big enough for the ATX to have picked it up. The are has dumps, pits and trenches. I'm working on getting permission again to go in there when I decide to spend the money on an ATX.

Another place is where Wilderness run goes into the Rappahannock river. There is an old smelter chimney there. I went in there with my brother via canoe launched at Ely's Ford.

And lastly, the place I found the nugget, I found a huge quartz vein, had it assayed and the result was 1/4 ounce gold per ton of ore and 3/4 ounce of silver per ton of ore.

HH all

Frank
I am new on the site. Seeking someone interested in looking for gold in Carroll, Howard or Western Baltimore County (Woodbine, Marriottsville, etc.) - are you still on this forum?

You are a little north of the gold belt. Not saying you can't get on some . If you want to find some fines you might go farther south. The gold club in Virginia at Monroe Park might be the place to start. They meet the first Saturday of every month from March thru November. Good fines and times. I used to go when my kids where young now they are grown and not interested.

Take care
Bob

I have been detecting for relics and coins for a few years, but another passion of mine is prospecting for gold. I started as a kid in Utah about 30 years ago with a couple homemade sluice boxes and a pan. You could go about anywhere to pan or sluice and no one would bother you. Now, however I live on the east coast (PA) and things are very different here. Access to the streams can be difficult due to so much private property but if you enjoy it enough you will find a way. Just a matter of talking to the farmers and that seems to get easier all the time. I used to belong to a prospecting club here, and I plan to rejoin this year. They even have a claim in Arizona ...!
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Creeks,streams and rivers going under roadways are public lands. You can work within the road right of ways.
It's that way here in Ohio.
You can even use upto a 4" dredge without a permit.

You might get something and you might not. The club at Monroe Park is a start. No dredging allowed. Just panning mostly you can run a sluice but conditions usually don't accommodate. Found some good fines it is all for fun. They have a nice place to take your kids had a blast for many years good people. Respect is the main thing you are on private property and they let the club dig. I always brought people up and down with my 4 wheel drive truck from the top to the bottom if they did not have a way. Always a good time.

The club meetings were fun sometimes a potluck lunch. Haven't been for years maybe I will check it out this spring if it is still going.

I live in Maryland. I know noting about prospecting for gold ,other than what i see on T.V..I do find gold with my metal detectors, ring, ect. But noting in the raw.Is there gold in Maryland and surrounding states. How would one get started. I think panning for gold would be great for me and the wife for fun.
Great idea for a weekend get away, thanks for posting

Hello,

For MD:

HH all

Frank
I'd get a claim or permit for that quartz vein.
See if it opens up into something Bigger.
You can use Micro Blasting to get into it.
No special blasting permits needed.
LiL toe popper charges.
Quite effective actually.
Just follow safety guidelines.
They will throw high velocity rock pieces.

Well, I have to say, having land be private would be taking our country back. I have no problem with land being in private hands. The east coast was locked up in private hands probably by the early 19th century. That's nothing new, and in my eyes the right thing. The problem IMO is when we have public land, bought with public funds, that gets locked up by enviro nazis and indian tribe intrests. When you realize that some of the western states are over 75% owned by the Federal government and we can't utilize them, well that there is a problem. Or when we have private land and can't utilize our own land, that's really messed up.

BTW, to the original poster: Check out Central Virginia Gold Prospectors club in Dillwyn, VA. They're a great club with lots of lease land with gold on it. I've been a member for two years and always find some gold when I go.
Can you show a little ?
I love native gold.