Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ED 120 and ED 180 - What's the difference?

padiggin

Someone mentioned in a previous post that ED 120 handles iron better than ED 180. I never heard that before. Where is that information? In all of Tesoro's company material, I've never seen or heard of that. I have a Stingray II and a Tejon - personally from my experience with them, I think they handle iron the same - very well. Anyone have any information which demonstrates that ED 120 will handle iron better than ED 180? If so, why would that be and what's the difference between the two?? Just curious because I've never known what the difference is and how that difference will effect a metal detector.
Thanks
Don

I believe it is more of a discrimination thing, one of them will accept more at its lowest dis. setting than the other. I am sure that Monty will jump in when he gets time and explain it alot better than I can. You can search the forum and read several posts where Monte has explained the difference & explained it very well I might add. Steve.

Padiggin,i read what Monte wrote about it like a month ago and he referred to it like the 180 is a full circle degree discrimination allowing iron from the beginning,for say like a relic machine may need to find iron,but a coin built machine wants nothing to do with it so it has a 120 degree discrimination.Were the first 60 percent of the circle is set by the factory and will disc out iron automatically leaving a 120 degree circle disc setting left.Don't hold me to this as i am just trying to find this out myself.

Okay, I'll search the forum to see what Monte wrote previously. I guess my concern or question is, why would ED 120 be better at discriminating out iron than the ED 180? It would seem to me that ED 180 would give more versatility and discriminate out just as well as ED 120 - however I am only basing that comment on common sense, not any technical know-how on my part.

dunno the 120,,but the 180 is in my cibola,,its the best at EXTENDED disc,,which means that you can set it to disc. out small iron onto large iron,,so it gives you more control over the size of iron you wish to reject,,longer than he other disc. models that tesoro do in other machines,,(,e,d, = extended discrimination ),,,.an elastic bottom end,,,or finer adjustment,,,rgds ,comcat:ukflag:

Here are a couple of Monte's posts that should answer your questions. Both are here on findmall.com.

Re the July 20, 2009 post (My favorite), the information on ED120 and ED180 starts below the discussion of Bandido models.

Here's a teaser from the July post.......
"The ED-180 accepts, in theory, the full upper 180

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It's kind of what I thought anyway, I was just wondering if my thought process was on the right track as I'm not a "techy" with this kind of stuff. I thought that the ED 180 would be more versatile and give more control over the discrim spectrum. It's just when I read on another post that the ED 120 was better at discriminating out iron, better than the ED 180, I really wasn't catching on to that theory. I thought something just didn't sound right. Thanks again everyone.

Don

I appreciate your reprint, Todd. The key for me was those places where a ED 180 was needed I never run across. I'm thankful to be in an area where nails and washers, nuts, bolts are about the only thing I have to worry about. Nontheless, my Silver umax has an all metal mode-fairly close to a true all metal-in case the ground conditions worsen but not enough to blank the signal.

padiggin said:
It's kind of what I thought anyway, I was just wondering if my thought process was on the right track as I'm not a "techy" with this kind of stuff. I thought that the ED 180 would be more versatile and give more control over the discrim spectrum.
Yes, a model with a full-range of target acceptance (ED-180) can be more versatile when compared with a model that has a bit more than iron rejection when at the minimum Disc. setting (ED120 and others).

In theory, it is possible to have more control with regard to the amount of iron rejection, but it also depends on how the circuit was designed to handle iron rejection and/or "noise", etc. Unfortunately, most of the popular

Yes Monte is right, as understand it, it is not the ED 120 discrimination itself that is better in iron than the ED180 discrimination, BUT rather the older(pre uMax-HOT)machines with ED120 did not have the Low-Noise/High Gain circuitry that were better in iron. The new ED180 machines with this Low-Noise/High Gain circuitry were not as good in iron. BUT the Tesoro exceptions above as Monte mentioned were the best of both worlds with both an ED180 and good in iron were the original Lobo and the Amigo II & Compadre and probably the new Lobo ST can be added to that list. But Monte said the the older original Lobo had manual GB in discrimination mode and the newer Lobo ST has Fixed GB in discrimination mode. So the older original Lobo is a better choice, than the Lobo ST, for coin hunting because of that reason. I wonder if the coils are interchangable between the original Lobo and the Lobo ST?

The Whites MXT discrimination mode may also be good in iron as well.

As Monte put it once, not in exact words, there was a cry for more depth and sensitity with the new machines(like uMax and HOT) and with that iron discrimination got worse.

David said:
the new Lobo ST can be added to that list.
Yes, can. Fell under the rule ("etc." or "and others."

David said:
But Monte said the the older original Lobo had manual GB in discrimination mode and the newer Lobo ST has Fixed GB in discrimination mode. So the older original Lobo is a better choice, than the Lobo ST, for coin hunting because of that reason.
I my opinion, it definitely is. A mistake was made by not incorporating manual GB with the Disc. mode or tie it in with the auto-tracking circuitry.

David said:
I wonder if the coils are interchangable between the original Lobo and the Lobo ST?
Nope, different frequencies and operating design. This is where the Lobo ST has the ad vantage because it can use he elliptical DD and concentric coils originally designed for it as well as the round and out-of-round coils for the Tej