Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Edward Hines Park and bottle tops:confused: HELP

newuser

Hi everybody not sure if anybody is familiar with Edward Hines park in Michigan. It is an old park dating back to the early 1900"s. Anyways It runs through quite a few cities in Wayne county(I think it is 15 or 20 miles long) and has many different areas to picnic and play or metal detect(with a permit). And of course the old saying it has been hunted to death. Me personally i don't believe anything has been hunted to death. I have been hitting different areas there lately and have been finding a lot of wheaties just 1 silver dime, and a ton of old bottle tops. I'm using Andys supertrashy park settings and have another set-up at 4kz. to try and check the signals. that isn't working to well still can't tell the difference. I've tried silencer up to 4 with limited success. Does anybody have any other suggestions for settings that I could try. I know there is more stuff out there dangit.Even better anybody with a deus in the area of hines that is experienced in the art of the deus that would want to hunt there.Any help,advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The wiggle-back method seems to work well for bottle caps. I also generally hear a little iron buzz when on a cap. Also make sure you do the 90 degee swing check.

biggziff said:
The wiggle-back method seems to work well for bottle caps. I also generally hear a little iron buzz when on a cap. Also make sure you do the 90 degee swing check.
Thanks for the quick reply biggziff. I have tried that wiggle back method and now I'm wondering if maybe my ears aren't working right.Maybe tone deaf or something. I know I hear that works for most folks. I'll try cranking up the volume higher maybe that will help me hear the buzz.

newuser said:
biggziff said:
Thanks for the quick reply biggziff. I have tried that wiggle back method and now I'm wondering if maybe my ears aren't working right.Maybe tone deaf or something. I know I hear that works for most folks. I'll try cranking up the volume higher maybe that will help me hear the buzz.

They don't all buzz..at least not for me, but the signal will usually get wonky right at the end of the target. I still dig them, but I can pretty much tell when I'm digging one at this point. Do you have Iron Volume turned up a little (2 or so)?

newuser said:
Bigggzifff i iron settings are at 0, you think 2 or so would be better.Is that where I am going wrong.

I'm no expert, but I run 2 to get a little buzz or grunt out of iron. Seems to work. Can't hurt to try it.

Definitely try iron audio of at least +1. I hear it usually as break up of the sound. I, too, was having a hard time distinguishing that sound, but here's something VERY simple to try to teach you what it sounds like. When you go to the park (or in your yard!) bring 1 bottle cap and 1 dime. Just put them on top of the ground (important: in a clean area and NOT right next to each other!) and, keeping your coil several inches above it (so you don't get the audio overload signal) slowly pull back. Hear how the dime signal just drops off. You hear it, then it fades. Do that with the bottle cap, and you'll hear that SQUONK as you move off the target. There you go! You just need to train yourself what you're listening to. I promise, do that, and you'll immediately start to recognize it.

In some of my trashy parks, the wiggle/pull back method doesn't work because there will be another target (good or bad) generating a signal before you pull off. And overall, I still prefer the switch to the 4 kHz program method. But btw those two methods, I rarely dig a bottle cap. Nothing is 100% foolproof, but this really should help.

Rich

You can also use the XY screen. It's not perfect, but will usually show a bottle cap or iron as more jagged lines than straight.

Put your discrimination on 5 and turn down the iron volume. That way you can still hear the iron but a much lower volume.

You have to experiment with your settings. No one program is good for everything.

I run with iron volume on. Lately been hunting with the 11" coil running 8KHz with reactivity at 2, silencer at 2 looking for deeper coins. With every bottle cap except the real deep ones, I get a beep-clickity on every sweep over it.
So it sounds good but there is that special effect after the signal. Also you will notice that the footprint of a bottle cap is much smaller than a coin unless it is deep, then it's hard to tell.
Lastly besides the pull back method, raising the coil will most of the time lower or maintain the ID on a bottle cap and raise the ID on a coin. Of course depending on how deep the coin, that may not be an effective way to check the target.

I have however dug a couple silver dimes and pennies near trash that have displayed the characteristics of a bottle cap, so one never knows if they are passing up something good in a really trashy area.

One thing for sure, the park isn't hunted out if there is a blanket of bottle caps covering the deeper targets. In that case, I would work a small area and rid it of the trash and coins. That way someone doesn't come behind you and benefit from the hard work you have done.
Eddie Hines is too big to be hunted out.

Thank you for all the replys, i will try each and every one of them. At least one of these methods has to sound good to my ears. I'm going to shock that park and find those hidden lewels. Thanks again, great group of folks you all are.