Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eldorado (plastic)

My Eldorado arrived this week and I caught a day when it wasn't raining and went to a park I had hunted before many times with my Cutlass II micromax and Original Bandido.  The park is was built in 1960 so presumably there could be some silver coins but I have yet to find any.  I have dug a couple silver rings but those were relatively fresh drops I would assume.  I also have hit a couple wheats.  On my hunt I found a handful of clad and of course a few pull tabs and other random trash targets.  But anyhow, here are my first impressions of the detector:

1.  The tone on the Eldorado is lower than my Bandido and Cutlass II and my ears appreciate it.  It hits hard on coin targets.  I hit a copper penny at 6" with a very clear "dig me" signal.  I was surprised that it was 6" down because it hit just as hard as a couple that were only 2" to 3" inches down. 

2.  The detector does a good job at discriminating out bottle caps.  I only dug one this go around and after it was out of the ground I ran the coil over it and it would not signal.  It could have been that I didn't get my coil over any more but usually I leave with a pocketful.

3.  The no motion all metal threshold is smooth.  I hardly ever hunt in all metal on my Bandido because it seems very sensitive and I am constantly needing to retune.  On the Eldorado I actually found myself hunting in all metal and switching to disc to help determine the target. 

4.  When I first turned on the detector in my yard I was getting chatter from the powerlines.  I can't hunt my yard at all with my Cutlass II because of electrical interference with the powerlines directly overhead.  On the Eldorado I switched frequencies and there was no more chatter.

5.  I was able to crank the sensitivity all the way up in max boost.  On my Cutlass II and Bandido, I have to leave it at about 9 or else it starts chattering.  It's nice to know I am getting the highest sensitivity possible.

I plan on using this detector exclusively this year to really get an understanding for it.  One thing I have been reading is that it is beneficial on some of Tesoro's models to ground balance slightly negative when planning on hunting in disc.  Does that apply to this model?  If anyone knows I thank you in advance for any tips you may be able to give me for the Eldorado.  I will post a more in depth analysis after spending more time on the detector.

On my Eldorado I ground balance neutral or slightly positive for hunting in the square nails. It seems to quiet down the iron false a little bit, negatively balanced I seem to dig more trash targets. In parks I ground balance neutral. I have read that negative balance can get a bit deeper on silver targets, but my discrimination does not work as well with the negative balance.

The no-motion all metal works great for hunting along rock walls, sides of buildings, and around rocks where you can not swing. I found a 1860s curry comb by using that trick, it was right against the fallen rock walls of an old stage stop where I could not swing the detector.

Fish N Chips said:
On my Eldorado I ground balance neutral or slightly positive for hunting in the square nails. It seems to quiet down the iron false a little bit, negatively balanced I seem to dig more trash targets. In parks I ground balance neutral. I have read that negative balance can get a bit deeper on silver targets, but my discrimination does not work as well with the negative balance.

The no-motion all metal works great for hunting along rock walls, sides of buildings, and around rocks where you can not swing. I found a 1860s curry comb by using that trick, it was right against the fallen rock walls of an old stage stop where I could not swing the detector.

Great info. Thank you

Your welcome, you will love the Eldorado. It will never leave my arsenal. It is a great unit, work fantastic in the iron, and of all the detectors I have owned, I feel the most connection with it. I love my Eldorado! I picked it over a Vaquero because of the audio tone, much easier for me to hear. It is my go to unit of old sites and square nails. It my not be a depth monster, but I have made some great finds with it.

Fish N Chips said:
Your welcome, you will love the Eldorado. It will never leave my arsenal. It is a great unit, work fantastic in the iron, and of all the detectors I have owned, I feel the most connection with it. I love my Eldorado! I picked it over a Vaquero because of the audio tone, much easier for me to hear. It is my go to unit of old sites and square nails. It my not be a depth monster, but I have made some great finds with it.
What headphones do you use with yours? I just ordered some Sunrays as I have been using some not so stellar phones. I wanted to get a little more serious with my detecting this year so I'm gearing up for the good weather.

I use the Garrett Pro headphones which work ok, and the Killer B Stinger which is my main headphone. I like the single ear muff as I can hear rattlesnakes, and my daughter who often detects with me. The Killer Bs have the best audio, but the Garretts are pretty good for the price. Any of the high ohm headphones with volume control should be good. I have even used earbuds with an inline volume control with pretty good success.

Really a vary capable detector. I purchased one new a number of years ago and I always enjoyed hunting with it. Good purchase!
Pap

8 years and counting. Still my goto. Love it and would buy another if I saw one come up.
Cheers
Doc

I have the Eldorado, Bandido 2 umax and Vaquero. I use killer B wasps, they have the best tones for tesoros i have tried

I bought the sunray pro golds. I read somewhere that they are almost identical.

Whoa whoa whoa...

The Eldorado has a REAL no motion all metal?!

I know Tesoro claims that some of their detectors have a No Motion mode, but in reality are just slow auto tune All Metal.

I've been tempted a few times to trade my Bandido II uMax for an Eldorado for the audio tone. If what you say is true, I may have just made up my mind!

It is a VCO single filter all-metal.

thumperjones said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

I know Tesoro claims that some of their detectors have a No Motion mode, but in reality are just slow auto tune All Metal.

I've been tempted a few times to trade my Bandido II uMax for an Eldorado for the audio tone. If what you say is true, I may have just made up my mind!

Nope, the Eldorado has an Auto tuned all metal, the Bandido ll µMax has both (motion) Auto tuned all metal and a 'static' (no motion) All Metal. Try the this out with the Eldorado, put it in All Metal and hold it motionless over a coin laying on the ground, see how it fades out real fast and returns to threshold. Then take the Bandido put it in All metal and hover the coil over the coin... it will hold the signal all day long or until the battery drains.

Hombre said:
thumperjones said:
Whoa whoa whoa...

Nope, the Eldorado has an Auto tuned all metal, the Bandido ll µMax has both (motion) Auto tuned all metal and a 'static' (no motion) All Metal. Try the this out with the Eldorado, put it in All Metal and hold it motionless over a coin laying on the ground, see how it fades out real fast and returns to threshold. Then take the Bandido put it in All metal and hover the coil over the coin... it will hold the signal all day long or until the battery drains.

That's what I expected... Thanks for clearing it up.