Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eldorado

Only a few people still own one of those heavy lunchbox detectors.
They are good units overall, a few come out of the closet to play now and then.

Sven

I think he is talking about the later µMax Eldorado. I had the small Eldorado for a while and I liked the Bandido ll µMax better. The ED-120 Disc.of the Bandido ll µMax ran quieter in the small iron trash than the ED-180 Disc. of the Eldorado when it was set to knock out a small nail. The All-Metal mode on the Bandido ll µMax has more features also with an Auto-tuned and Static with manual retune mode. Both detectors are great, I just liked the Bandido ll µMax a little more. Both of these out of production Tesoros are still producing good finds for their owners and still command higher prices when offered up for sale.

One of my favorite switches on Tesoro's:thumbup:

Hombre, I'm with you on liking the Bandido II µMax better than the Eldorado. Actually, I like the Outlaw even better and it's in production.

What I like best about the Eldorado is its all metal mode, it's one of the best that I've ever heard. It would be great for someone who likes to relic hunt.

tabman

Eldorado12014011_zps8d67df11.jpg

I have the Eldorado 'Umax' and a Silver Umax. I got the Eldorado a year and half ago as I wanted a detector I could ground balance for hunting ghost towns. I almost got a Vaquero but did not like the audio tone on it. I figured the Eldorado with the audio of the Silver Umax would help shorten the learning curve some. That tone just sounds sweet to me I guess.

I just got the 5.75 coil for hunting trashy sites. The 9x8 and 8 inch coils are pretty comparable in depth, but the small coil is amazing in the trash. The discrimination seems to knock out a round nail well, but cut nails ring up a little higher. I have to turn the discrimination up higher for nails than my Silver (ed120 I think), but that just means I have more discrimination range I believe? I have never used a Bandito II, so can not say how they compare in iron but here good things. I have used the all metal mode along foundations and in heavy brush where I can not swing. It found me an 1860s curry comb under some wall rubble I could not swing the coil. I am not very good at hunting in all metal but it has been useful when I needed it. I coin hunt and beach hunt some but am mainly into relics and old sites.

I really like mine. I do think the tone is more descriptive than my Silver. I sometimes consider trying out something with more power or a display, but honestly do not see much of an upgrade with anything out there except for more cost. My Eldorado is simple, runs well and is reasonably deep. I usually dig coins at 6-7 inches and some relics at 12+ depending on the soil and moisture. I got a nice silver cross at 8 inches a while back. I run around 6-10 sensitivity but have been playing with super tuning and want to try it and see if it works for more depth. I do love the frequency shift to prevent cross talk when my Dad borrows my Silver on hunts. I look forward to hearing some other responses.

tabman said:
Hombre, I'm with you on liking the Bandido II µMax better than the Eldorado. Actually, I like the Outlaw even better and it's in production.

What I like best about the Eldorado is its all metal mode, it's one of the best that I've ever heard. It would be great for someone who likes to relic hunt.

tabman

Eldorado12014011_zps8d67df11.jpg

........Hey tabman
If you like the threshold based all-metal on the Eldorado so much, what do you think of the threshold all-metal on the Deleon? Tried that yet? It's killer when scouting for signals in the quiet places, plus it has VDI numbers in this mode.

Hombre I've tried it some, but not enough to give it a fair comparison. I have way too many detectors to keep things straight in my mind. :)

The thing I like least about the Eldorado is the discrimination mode. I doesn't do well at depth if the discrimination is set much higher than 'iron'.

I took another brand detector out today and did pretty well, I might take the Deleon out tomorrow to the same site and see what happens.

tabman

Tabman, does the Eldorado false or loose depth with the higher discrimination settings? I do get fooled by deeper iron but it is usually when I am digging questionable/non-repeatable signals that sound really good in one direction. I do think the discrimination works much better with the small 5.75 coil over my 9x8 coil, but I need to put in more time with it before making a determination. The small coil just seems to run quieter and rejects the nails better so far. Maybe because it is a newer coil and does not have as many miles on it? I am not sure. When I thumb the dial the objects normally go out right where the graduations show and I do not seem to loose the signal on deeper coins even running full discrimination.

I keep hearing how good the Deleon is, I might need to pick one up to try someday. Of course every time I log on you guys make me want to try another model! LOL.

Fish N Chips, the Eldorado noticeably loses depth on low conductors (nickels, rings etc.) if I move the discrimination dial up high enough to discriminate out foil caps.

It might have something to do with its ED180 discrimination. :shrug: At any rate, I set mine up to just discriminate out 'iron' nails and it works great.

tabman

Thanks Tabman. I have been setting mine to just knock out nails as you recommended a while back, and have been very happy with the results.

Just a comment on the Pinpoint Button on the Outlaw. I've always hated the VCO pinpoint system. The Outlaw uses the older detune system. Just get near (not right on top) of the target, press the pinpoint button and the target size is reduced. Boy, you can center a target exactly! I really appreciate Tesoro using the Pinpoint by Detune method.

I've used the Bamdito and Eldorado both and like either. To me I don't find one enough better over the other to trade one for the other.
BB