Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eley London & 38 56 wra co 38-56 wcf

Explorer.se

Wow I love finding coins but now I also love finding headstamps too! Can someone please tell me how old these are? The Eley London Gas Tight N 16 and also the 38-56 WRA CO WCF.

Thanks for looking!

Explorer,
I've found the Eley headstamps before and find there were most likely produced somewhere around the 1890's to 1920's.
Great headstamp and hard one to find.
Also your 38-56 is also a scarce one.
I have a 1886 Winchester in that caliber. It's one heavy gun.

Info straight out of Wikipedis...

The .38-56 Winchester Center Fire cartridge was introduced in 1887 by Winchester for the Winchester Model 1886,[3] and was also used in the Marlin Model of 1895. Production of Winchester Model 1886s chambered in this cartridge ceased in 1910 due to lack of demand,[3] while most commercial production of the cartridge itself ceased in the 1930s. New production loaded cartridges and unloaded brass cases are rare, and are often created using reformed .45-70 brass. The cartridge was originally intended to outperform the similar .38-55 Winchester, but in reality had very similar ballistics despite using more gunpowder.[4]

Great finds

Thank you so much huntindog I I’ve to find these headstanps wow it seems that everybody was firing a shotgun back in the day hopefully not at people! I love to find the rare ones as well I have another and it was over a foot deep but I can’t make it out. Thanks once again huntindog!

quote=HuntinDog]
Explorer,
I've found the Eley headstamps before and find there were most likely produced somewhere around the 1890's to 1920's.
Great headstamp and hard one to find.
Also your 38-56 is also a scarce one.
I have a 1886 Winchester in that caliber. It's one heavy gun.

Info straight out of Wikipedis...

The .38-56 Winchester Center Fire cartridge was introduced in 1887 by Winchester for the Winchester Model 1886,[3] and was also used in the Marlin Model of 1895. Production of Winchester Model 1886s chambered in this cartridge ceased in 1910 due to lack of demand,[3] while most commercial production of the cartridge itself ceased in the 1930s. New production loaded cartridges and unloaded brass cases are rare, and are often created using reformed .45-70 brass. The cartridge was originally intended to outperform the similar .38-55 Winchester, but in reality had very similar ballistics despite using more gunpowder.[4]

Great finds[/quote]