Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EMI Question

Simpsonslammer

Last fall I hunted a park that I'm able to get to a couple times a year. I chose to hunt the edge of the property that backs up to some houses. Along the back runs a low hanging power line, I found several nice keepers that day. Fast forward to last Friday, I returned to the park and thought I'd try that area again to see if I missed anything. I did a noise cancel, chose my settings and started swinging. The EMI was so bad I couldn't do a thing, did another noise cancel, turned down the sensitivity, same thing. Went back to the car, put my 8x6 coil, did a noise cancel, same problem. So I gave up and went to a different area and the Safari ran smooth. My question is how can my Safari run smooth there last fall, and the next time run so erratic?

I don't think it's anything to do with your equipment or methods. It may be that they laid a high voltage underground line somewhere close by or maybe even up'ed the voltage on the overhead line since you were there last year?....I have places where it's impossible to detect with underground cables and electrical vaults close by underground.
Is it possible to go way low on the sensitivity 5 or below....and see if there is a point where there is little or no 'noise'? At least you would be able to get the targets close to and on top of the ground.

My bet is an electric dog fence that was just installed or was shut off the last time you hunted the area. Usually a noise cancel will take care of smaller over head lines.

Wow That's weird, as I have used a lot of detectors in The Pass and The Safari was the most EMI stable detector out of the whole bunch.