Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

entitlement

john sullivan

some,a few detecter's think it's ok to hunt on private property' since they don't leave holes.and entitled to what ever they find. let's look at it from the property owners view, he payed for it, pays taxes , has pride in the way his property looks when you find something he feels a little cheated, what would your answer be if they came to your door?

n/t

If I gave permission and never said a word about splitting the finds with me I would not feel cheated. If they were digging tons of goodies on my property, of course I would get my own detector and dig the stuff myself.

That's another problem due to all the detecting shows as now Home property owners see the shows and get their own detectors. That way cut out the middle man. At least that's the way it is in my area. I never was big on door knockin' anyway.

If someone (a stranger) had knocked on my door before I got into detecting, I would not have given permission. *Maybe*, if it was a friend or relative. Pretty much the same feeling now.

Share the finds with him have another detector and see if he or she would join you :thumbup:

The biggest problem is owner liability and insurance companies and lost several nice areas because of this. Truthfully if someone came to your door and asked to detect what would you do...

If you think about it logically, why should they let you? They have nothing to gain. You're asking them to let you dig holes in their yard while looking for valuables that technically belong to them. The insurance liability aspect is another factor.
My attitude is that it is a law of numbers. It doesn't hurt to ask - the worst is that they say "no". Some will say yes, most won't.
I chat about the history of the area, my hobby, etc. I describe how I retrieve an object and offer to demonstrate as to alleviate visions of ugly holes or scars. ( call what you're looking for "artifacts ' or "objects", not "coins", etc).
I also offer to put everything I find in a pile so they can take a look (you be the judge as to what actually goes into the pile - lol). Most don't care if they've given permission already. I find that if they give permission, their attitude is "have fun".
I got open permission to hunt a farm here in Ct. The owner had said one time he found an IH cent on the farm and wanted to attach it to his Indian motorcycle but lost the coin. I told him my goal was to find him another one, which I did. He then gave me free reign on the farm - anywhere, any time.
Attitude is everything, approach is important.
Bruce