Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 has truly retired my E-Trac to back up duty only

Tenspeed

I have been enjoying my Equinox since I got it and love the speed of the processor over the E-Trac. I haven't touched my E-Trac since I started hunting with the Equinox and now will just leave it for backup only. The Equinox has been good on the beach and in the red clay I mostly hunt in.

I have been revisiting some of my most difficult spots to see what I can sniff out because of the ability to hear every little bit of iron in the threshold and the good targets in between. I am primarily hunting with the stock coil and haven't had to pull the 6" out but a couple of times so far.

I have had one or two spots that were hunted so thoroughly with all size coils and all methods (Conductive, TTF) plus different brands of machine that there wasn't much there, but other spots that we may have only hit a couple of time are yielding great rewards.

I found a tiny silver ring at 8" in a yard in Rock Hill, SC that I have hunted many times and very close to where I found a 1930's Merc about 5 years ago. I have been recovering silver coins in places that have been gone over several times (some I can say may have just been missed, but others were clearly masked by iron).

Another very difficult place south of Hillsborough was the site of a home built in the 1830's that was moved to a museum. I have pounded this place in every angle with every coil of the E-Trac and have recovered an 1864 Indian along with large and small silver and many wheaties. I recovered 4 wheaties and a Mercury dime in my first visit with the Equinox.

This weekend I went to a historic area in a yard near the old Hillsborough Military Academy (Hillsborough, NC). I had hunted it in both directions several years ago and remembered it being difficult. I only had about an hour and only got to hunt about 40% of the yard, but recovered an 1847 large cent at 8" (don't know how I missed that one before), 3 wheat pennies that squeaked between the iron), one flat button, and 2 tootsie die cast trucks.

Needless to say, I am sold on the Equinox. One weakness is that it loves aluminum bottle caps, but the is a price you pay for all of the other targets you can find.

HH

X2 dumping my old detectors you just can't beat new technology.
It take a little while to figure out where and how to hunt with the 6 inch coil you will get better with practice.
HH Jeff

Same here sold mine to buy the Nox it's not perfect but it finds what others leave behind!
Mark

After trying the Equinox in my test garden and using it in the field for a little over a month I sold my CTX, F75 and Excalibur. I just couldn't see any advantage either of those machines had over the Equinox that would cause me to use either one of them again. Especially considering how much money I had tied up in them.
It would have been nice to keep them but I could really use that money other places. Some of it went to buying a second Equinox.
I do miss the marking my finds on the ctx but I don't miss that weight.
I have tried the 15 inch coil and it wrecks my elbow but I will keep it for the beach with the harness. I just bought a 6 inch coil and didn't like the test results in my garden, it's up for sale.
I think there could be a better coil made but for now the equinox with stock coil is what I will be swinging.

laplander said:
X2 dumping my old detectors you just can't beat new technology.
It take a little while to figure out where and how to hunt with the 6 inch coil you will get better with practice.
HH Jeff

Jeff,

The strange thing is that I just bought a CTX the weekend after I bought my Equinox. It is very heavy, but it had several extra coils and lots of other extras, so I couldn't pass it up.

Now that I went to the beach with the Equinox, I am wondering what to do with it.

I dig stuff I wouldn't with my E-Trac, but the other stuff I am finding makes that just an inconvenience.

Thanks and HH

Hardy

Mkus said:
Same here sold mine to buy the Nox it's not perfect but it finds what others leave behind!
Mark

Mark,

The thing is that I am finding what I left behind! I must have gone through too quickly in some of these difficult places.

HH

Hardy

jayhop said:
After trying the Equinox in my test garden and using it in the field for a little over a month I sold my CTX, F75 and Excalibur. I just couldn't see any advantage either of those machines had over the Equinox that would cause me to use either one of them again. Especially considering how much money I had tied up in them.
It would have been nice to keep them but I could really use that money other places. Some of it went to buying a second Equinox.
I do miss the marking my finds on the ctx but I don't miss that weight.
I have tried the 15 inch coil and it wrecks my elbow but I will keep it for the beach with the harness. I just bought a 6 inch coil and didn't like the test results in my garden, it's up for sale.
I think there could be a better coil made but for now the equinox with stock coil is what I will be swinging.

I am trying to figure out what to do since now I am loaded with detectors. My muscles have developed to the weight of the E-Trac, so I can swing it for many hours without issue, but I love the light weight of the Equinox.

Currently I mainly use the 11" coil and the 6" coil does look small compared to my 6" Excellerator on my E-Trac, but there are some places I will use it. It is soooo light! The 6" was what I used the most lately on the E-Trac unless I was in a large open area. A friend of mine and I tested the 6" Exellerator against the 6" Equinox and it did well (that test was the day he decided to sell his E-Trac because it was hurting his shoulder).

The 15" is good, but is heavy. I can use the Minelab vest I got with the CTX if needed.

If I sell something, I will most likely get a back up Equinox, but it took me over a year to pull the trigger on the first one since I liked my E-Trac too much and wanted to ensure the Equinox was going to truly work.

Thanks and HH!

Hardy

The 15 inch has taken me longer to warm up to but after a 10 day hunt in the U.K. I am sold, I swung it 95% of the time and it kicked arse.
HH Jeff

I'm so glad to hear these reporst as I just pulled the trigger on one myself. I should get it sometime next week and if the snow and the temps cooperate i'll take it to a ball field that has regularly produce monder clad at 9". The ball field has been there since the early 60's so there should be some silver down there somewhere.

Tenspeed said:
Mkus said:
Mark

Mark,

The thing is that I am finding what I left behind! I must have gone through too quickly in some of these difficult places.

HH

Hardy
Lol yeah me to I pulled 10 silver dimes in an area with lots of old nails I hit with my Etrac a year before!

I went from an f75 to the equinox and so far its found loads of buttons and low conductor items that the f75 missed and I think the buttons were on edge. The only weak point on the equinox IMO, is EMI, guess I got used to the DST on the f75. I've only had the equinox a month so I have a lot more learning to do.

Still have my Deus as a backup, but the 800 is my go to machine.