Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox 800 verse Explorer SE depth test.

Nothing to do with skill.
But i see it all the time when tests are done with machines , if they are not a similar type that are used for similar places and if the settings aren't set as close as possible then you will always be able to beat a top end machine with a lower end "priced" machine.
As said i have used the Explorer's since 2003 till 2017 and the ET since 2008 . I dont think depth is as important as target info and signal strength . They seem to be best at that .
I am still learning the Nox and only been on a stubble field once , all the other times on the beach.
Target info is where the Nox is letting the side down , crown caps. pull tabs. ring pulls. Gold rings . 10p coins .20p coins . 50p coins. and some other junk all come in at the area of 14 to 17 . With the ET and the Explorer 11 its far easier to know a target .
And i know that a few testers say tinker around on another setting to check a target like a crown cap to see if its a crown cap but then that takes more time. If on a low tide beach and you dont want to get wet that time costs finds . And that makes the machine slower to use . But then it depends on the trash on the site.

I will watch the videos when i can but at the moment i only get short periods to tap the keyboard .

No offence to anyone .

Anyway it depends on the site . And mine aren't that good with the Nox . Geoffbeepingmad on Youtube knows my beaches and says the same , but the Nox has its place . His beaches are only a short walk / Bus trip along the road .

I dont use the Explorer anymore and sold mine because of the risk of out of warranty repairs and lack of support from Minelab in that way and my own over capacity . 4 machines is enough , i do wish i kept my Explorer 11 . Set right and with the Pro coil its a beast.
Along with the Sovereign a classic . ET maybe one day though i think so , and the CTX no.

Those are the wrong settings on the Explorer , sens 24 . Was that manual or auto ? And what was the sens on the Nox . There are other things . Also the screen settings can affect the outcome too .
Also the recovery setting 1 on the Nox is the average speed of the Explorer i remember Gordon Heritage saying .
I wish i kept my Explorer , i would have done a test myself . I have dug very deep targets with the E !! but i still dont get very great depth with the Nox . Even when set up hot .

Maybe i will do a test against my ET .

If anyone else does a test between the two . Remember that the ET takes time to warm up. In auto sens it starts at 19 and stays there a while till the machine susses the ground conditions . To do a test from start it will have to be in manual . And as the Nox only has the iron knocked out i think , then the ET would be allowed to have a little over nails knocked out . I reckon recovery 2 on the Nox .

If I lower the Nox below 4 on recovery the signal becomes messed up in my soil. Might not be explaining it correctly but I bet others have seen what im talking about.

Nox recovery speed 3 Park 2 is closer to how an Explorer feels sweeping a target, wider target, wider signal, less defined, but deeper and more stable TID at depth. NOX factory default recovery speed Park 2 is like a knifes edge in comparison, short and sharp as I sweep the target, but less depth and less stable TID.

Nuke em I still have an Explorer Se Pro and the NOX and tested both side by side. Yes the Se Pro has superior TID (to a certain depth). But the NOX is superior to the Se Pro in other significant ways. Is the Se Pro useless? Nope! I don't think you can compare the two machines. Its like comparing a socket wrench to a cordless drill and trying to decide which is better, it really depends on the job.

Some NOX advantages, it will hit small gold that's invisible to an Se Pro. It will hit coins straight up on edge that are invisible to an Se Pro. It will hit small silver coins like half dimes at ridiculous depths, and get a solid TID and tone at depths long after the Se Pro gave up getting any signal at all, depending on NOX mode and settings. Its not even a contest the NOX gives the Se Pro quite the beat down. But waded into a rusty crown cap infested hell hole and the Se Pro's superior TID and ability to banish crown caps, I'd be swinging my Se Pro.

Another example where I would use a NOX over my Se Pro, on sites I had hunted to silence already with an Se Pro. I mean why beat a dead horse, I'd be leveraging the NOX features to hunt those sites again. If beach conditions were favorable I'd be using the NOX for small gold hunting and chains. If beach conditions favored the Se Pro I might go with the Se Pro. Though getting old with some health issues, swinging a heavy Se Pro on the beach is less of an option than when I was younger.

calabash digger said:
If I lower the Nox below 4 on recovery the signal becomes messed up in my soil. Might not be explaining it correctly but I bet others have seen what im talking about.

I got the Recovery setting as 1 for the Nox as what the Explorer would be by Gordon i think or Slow and Low .
What happens if you use the SE on your soil ?

Charles - On the beach without looking for the thin Gold the SE would be better . I get coins on edge with mine in the past .
But anyway i depends on the soil conditions .

The only way to test machines against each other is to find a place that work perfectly for both at their best capability otherwise its pointless . One will always be better than the other in one way or another .
Even the 705 is better in ways , and coin hunting amongst pull tabs / ring pulls and crown caps is better than either above machines . Can get good depth too.

Cant compare a pack Horse to a race Horse.