Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox aftermarket coils

Mtcooley

I was wondering if anybody has heard of any companies working on aftermarket coils for the equinox? I know coiltek makes some coils for the other minelab machines.

No news, and dont hold your breath for any. First, Coiltek is an authorized coil manufacturer for Minelab and has a long history with the company. The EQX uses what they call a "smart coil". It has a computer chip in it which converts signal to and from the controller. No other company can build a coil without that chip and I don't think ML is selling them (or at least not for a price any seem to want to pay). No other company can reproduce the chips because they likely have some bit of programming code which would be covered by copyright.

Same reason the CTX has only 1 non Minelab coil and its from Coiltek.

It is so complex that Minelab can't seem to manufacture them. In would have loved to use the 15 inch coil this year.

goodmore said:
It is so complex that Minelab can't seem to manufacture them. In would have loved to use the 15 inch coil this year.

Thats very possible. I have heard that there was a very good (but small) brand of PI detectors that went out of business because the coil maker died. Nobody else could make the coils. Coil building seems to be equal parts art and science (with maybe a little witchcraft thrown in). A mult-freq, multi-period, smart-coil is probably more complex.

It most probably will happen,somebody is testing aftermarket coils for minelabs flagship detector the GPZ 7000 in Australia as we type,we were told it couldn't happen yea right,if the interest is there and minelab sit on there hands it will happen :clapping:

Well, either mine lab has lots of money and can afford to play head games.....or most likely they are a cash-strapped company. They finally put out a machine that appeals to the masses, the software is good but the physical package is even cheaper than what you would see on a china built machine. They didn't have enough funds to keep up with demand on the release, and couldn't even muster up enough funds to manufacture a 6" coil to meet demand which took almost a year later. If they truly were not a cash-strapped company then I think they would do their launches similar to the Nokta/Makro company. Introduces a machine and several weeks later offer a variety of accessory coil.

From a pure investing point of View... Minelab and/or whatever parent company controls Minelab, does not appear to be a very sound investment.

OregonGregg said:
Well, either mine lab has lots of money and can afford to play head games.....or most likely they are a cash-strapped company. They finally put out a machine that appeals to the masses, the software is good but the physical package is even cheaper than what you would see on a china built machine. They didn't have enough funds to keep up with demand on the release, and couldn't even muster up enough funds to manufacture a 6" coil to meet demand which took almost a year later. If they truly were not a cash-strapped company then I think they would do their launches similar to the Nokta/Makro company. Introduces a machine and several weeks later offer a variety of accessory coil.

From a pure investing point of View... Minelab and/or whatever parent company controls Minelab, does not appear to be a very sound investment.

LOL, you are clueless. Claiming minelab couldn't afford the production! :clapping: :crylol: :rofl:

Jason in Enid said:
LOL, you are clueless. Claiming minelab couldn't afford the production! :clapping: :crylol: :rofl:

Typical response from an ML fanboy......but I just look at the facts. If you have facts that prove me wrong, then please present them....And I will post an apology. Otherwise, I don't base what I say on silly emotions.

Not so fast! If these Equinox machines sold like, say, Ford trucks for example; those kind of sales numbers would prompt a lot of companies to manufacture accessories such as coils, for these detectors. While Minelab might be a big fish in the metal detector manufacturers pond; these Equinox detectors are a small portion of that. The technology and know-how are out there to accomplish it but is the return on the investment big enough to go after such a small market? If Equinox detectors were as popular as computers where almost every household has one, then there may be a worthwhile market to go after. When have the Chinese, Koreans,etc ever cared about patents anyway?:biggrin: