Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox counter weight

Finderskeeper

I was reading some of the posts about adding a counter weight to the Equinox to allow for an easier swing of the coil...especially the 15 incher.

I had already purchased from Steve's Detector Rods the carbon Fiber shafts for the Equinox....and they are a great for sure. I did not order the shaft with the end that is tapped for the counter weight container that Steve sells. So what I did was take a 14 inch length of 3/4 inch cold rolled rod and drilled a hole to allow a bolt to hold it in the carbon fiber rod.

The 15 inch coil is very easy to use now....and even the 11 inch coil is much better. That counter weight really makes a difference.

Good idea.
I bought a different after market rod kit. One rod is carbon fiber, the other two that came in the set are fiberglass. So I have a lower rod for each of the three coils.
So I went cheap and old school - I took several fishing weights I found on the beach, put them into a plastic bag then zipped tied them under the arm rest. It does help. I just might add more now that I heard you used a 14 inch rod.
Tony

Good idea.
I bought a different after market rod kit. One rod is carbon fiber, the other two that came in the set are fiberglass. So I have a lower rod for each of the three coils.
So I went cheap and old school - I took several fishing weights I found on the beach, put them into a plastic bag then zipped tied them under the arm rest. It does help. I just might add more now that I heard you used a 14 inch rod.
Tony
Hi Tony!
You might find that putting a 14 inch rod into the back end may be enough as the weight of that rod is behind your elbow and exerts a lot of leverage. The weight of a 14 inch long 3/4 inch cold rolled rod is 1 lb. 9 oz. I painted the rod and then coated it with rubber tool handle spray. So far it has held up really well and makes using larger coils so much nicer.
weight.jpg.jpg
I was not sure that it would do much of anything till I tried it. It really is amazing how much easier it is to swing a coil with that weight.
I did have to put 1 layer of duct tape where it inserts into the rod as the inside diameter of the rod is just a bit more than 3/4 inch.
weightoff.jpg.jpg

Last edited: