Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox hint #7 new user notes

DFX-Gregg

Was able to get my 2nd wheatie of the year a 1940-d, first with the Equinox... and an 88 Canadian cent. A few dollars in clad again... I have completely changed my style from years ago...as I try to learn the Equinox...

This time for enjoyment... I missed that my last time I detected...I want my posts to be helpful to anyone that reads them and always willing to try any suggested tips from members...

A few new user notes...total coin count has gone up slightly with the 6 inch coil... I just started to play around with the different settings besides the sensitivity which I needed to lower in my area from day one...

To be honest..I actually prefer the full size standard coil 11inch...but weight wise the 6 inch makes sense..except it seems too light at times where you will feel like it is going to rip right off the shaft...Also can become a little bouncy... causing you to miss spots...

I have previously hunted with much better 6 inch coils balance wise with the dfx and the explorer se...the Eclipse 5.3 and the double D... and they are tremendous at finding coins...MUCH better balance wise..

Second time out with the six inch coil...I am go the opposite of what everyone is saying...Some of you that remember me I worked very well with my dfx years ago...

I found with the six inch coil an extremely slow movement among the trash is best...I basically went to the trashy area and pulled good signals from bad...My thought I am actually going to LOWER my recovery speed looking for a crisper clearer signal and the readings and tones I need... I know I will get disagreement here... but I will get it right...
Quick bleeps do not work for me... If recovery in the 1-4 area does not work for me I will turn up...

Attachments

• 3 9 22 first wheatie with nox 40-d.jpg
    3 9 22 first wheatie with nox 40-d.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 75
  • 3 9 22 $2.46 equnox.jpg
    3 9 22 $2.46 equnox.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 74
Congrats on the Wheatie as they're getting scarce.
Have found 470 cents so far this year (2022) and just yesterday found my second Wheatie for the year; a 1950D. Just happen to see the reverse in a bag of 470 mostly corroded zinc cents. Use to collect them and Indian head nickels as a kid and they always bring a smile to my face.

I think you are on the right track with slowing down and also setting your recovery speed lower, not higher as so many people seem to do. Lower recovery speed means the machine takes more time to analyze and report on a target before it resets for the next one, thus a longer, perhaps "better", more noticeable signal. You have to work WITH your machine, and let it do its thing. Slower recovery speed needs a slower sweep speed. Good luck!

I found with the six inch coil an extremely slow movement among the trash is best..
I don't have the 6 " coil, but slowing my swing speed and recovery speed some, finally got me on track with the Nox. I had been mostly swinging a F 75 for 15+ years and it required a brisk swing for best depth and I d. Once I slowed (way) down with the Nox I began finding more and better targets, less trash and getting much better I d. Yeah, and having fun with the hobby is what it is all about. Good luck! HH jim tn

I think you are making a good decision about lowering the recovery speed.
Doing this along with a slow sweep speed will allow you to hear those deeper signals much better… like someone mentioned above, it gives the Equinox time to do it’s job.
I also find that sweeping slower allows me to hunt longer.
Wheats are getting scarce and it won’t be too long before people will be bragging about finding a copper memorial penny with all the zincs in the ground now!!😂

Last edited:
Congrats on the Wheatie as they're getting scarce.
Have found 470 cents so far this year (2022) and just yesterday found my second Wheatie for the year; a 1950D. Just happen to see the reverse in a bag of 470 mostly corroded zinc cents. Use to collect them and Indian head nickels as a kid and they always bring a smile to my face.
Thanks I honestly hunt mainly modern areas... always have... due to location... and back 10-12 years ago... I would find a few sprinkled around... have 2 for the year... other with my dfx... but trying to focus on the Equinox....and super slow hunting.. so hopefully more on the way... Years ago I found a 1909 vdb... that year I swear I bet I dug more than 4000 cents... lol... but it make it worth it...

I think you are on the right track with slowing down and also setting your recovery speed lower, not higher as so many people seem to do. Lower recovery speed means the machine takes more time to analyze and report on a target before it resets for the next one, thus a longer, perhaps "better", more noticeable signal. You have to work WITH your machine, and let it do its thing. Slower recovery speed needs a slower sweep speed. Good luck!
Thank you... I knew when I posted that I would get feedback both ways... nothing wrong with experimenting... I am not saying I will end up on the lowest recovery speed.. but for some areas would like to drop down... not looking for quick tones at this point... way to knew with the detector for me...

I don't have the 6 " coil, but slowing my swing speed and recovery speed some, finally got me on track with the Nox. I had been mostly swinging a F 75 for 15+ years and it required a brisk swing for best depth and I d. Once I slowed (way) down with the Nox I began finding more and better targets, less trash and getting much better I d. Yeah, and having fun with the hobby is what it is all about. Good luck! HH jim tn
Well when I was here before I set a goal of 10,000 coins in a year... made it..burned out and left the hobby... it was not fun at all... members really urged me on and motivated me but later realized it was not really fun.. I dug so many cents and surface clad... Now I see the surface clad is barely around anymore... but did spot a few on another site claiming $30-$50 in clad each trip...had a good laugh never a bad day and of course in pics maybe 2 pieces of trash... and oh yes always something silver with several wheaties... amusing at least! That old saying..."don't believe everything you read"!

I think you are making a good decision about lowering the recovery speed.
Doing this along with a slow sweep speed will allow you to hear those deeper signals much better… like someone mentioned above, it gives the Equinox time to do it’s job.
I also find that sweeping slower allows me to hunt longer.
Wheats are getting scarce and it won’t be too long before people will be bragging about finding a copper memorial penny with all the zincs in the ground now!!😂
Thanks.. why I picked the 800 over the 600... I want to set up a few programs of my own... also I will night hunt and like the levels of backlight... which I will use... have not up to now but I will... I am definitely not knocking the 600... also I was able to get the 800..for 100 more than the old price of the 600 new!