Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox lower rod project -- SUCCESS!

sgoss66

Hi all;

As some of you may know, I started a project about 8 months ago, where I set out to build a couple of carbon-fiber lower rods for my CTX 3030. I had a thread going here, marking my progress along the way, and I finally achieved a very nice, workable design.

Well, I now own two Minelab Equinoxes, in addition, (a 600 and an 800), and so I wanted to build rods for these, as well. The hardest part of building a rod is of course that lower rod piece where the coil attaches, which I call a "yoke" or "clevis." So, I set my mind on working on a design for that clevis/yoke piece. Once I came up with a working design idea, I submitted engineering drawings of my design to the machining/fabrication company that I used for my CTX rod parts, and asked if they could build me a prototype. Meanwhile, I ordered a carbon-fiber tube from my tube supplier, in the precise diameter to fit inside the Minelab Equinox middle rod, and also some washers specific to my yoke/clevis design. The tube and washers arrived recently, and just today, the yoke/clevis was delivered. I'm pleased to say that it turned out perfectly! All the dimensions are correct/exacting, and I "test fit" the parts with success -- please see the pictures below. The only parts I'm still waiting on are the push-button "spring clip" for the upper end of the rod, and a specialized drill bit for drilling the hole for the spring clip. Those will be here soon -- and at that point my rod will be ready for me to use!

THANKS!

Steve

[attachment 361422 EQX4smallrot.JPG]

[attachment 361423 EQX3smallrot.JPG]

[attachment 361424 EQXend2smallrot.JPG]

[attachment 361425 EQXandcoil3smallrot.JPG]

[attachment 361426 EQXandcoil4smallrot.JPG]

n/t

I like the design Steve....... but you may have the same problem ML has. If it were me id make the head a bit smaller..... so the rubbers could be a little thicker. When tightened MLs rubber squash down to nothing so you start to wear both the coil ears and that head. On the Xcal...... a lot of guys would crank it down each time it got loose instead of changing the rubbers.... a LOT. That ended up separating the bottom of the coil. They fixed it somewhat by properly filling the coil with epoxy. I noticed the EQ isnt filled very well either. Great job..... sure looks like a one piece shaft could be done very easily. I like the ROUND washer..... hopefully they are in a standard size you can get at any hardware store.

dew --

Thanks much for the kind words, and the suggestions. The washer is 10mm x 19mm x 3mm -- it's not an uncommon size and can be found at various online shopping sites. It's a pretty "dense" washer, so hopefully there won't be so much compression as to wear on the coil ears or the "head."

And yes, if I go to a "next step" on the project, at a later date, it would be to combine the upper and middle rod into "one piece," that would be compatible with this lower rod. I've been looking into good "telescoping" cam/clamping systems specific for carbon-fiber tubing, trying to decide what I'd use (should I go that route, down the road).

Steve

I hope you do "go that route down the road" Steve.----We need something to get the wobble out of these Equinox shafts.
sgoss66 said:
dew --

Thanks much for the kind words, and the suggestions. The washer is 10mm x 19mm x 3mm -- it's not an uncommon size and can be found at various online shopping sites. It's a pretty "dense" washer, so hopefully there won't be so much compression as to wear on the coil ears or the "head."

And yes, if I go to a "next step" on the project, at a later date, it would be to combine the upper and middle rod into "one piece," that would be compatible with this lower rod. I've been looking into good "telescoping" cam/clamping systems specific for carbon-fiber tubing, trying to decide what I'd use (should I go that route, down the road).

Steve

Looks like another outstanding job Steve.:thumbup::thumbup:

Bryan --

Thanks!! Very much appreciate your kind words! With one successful lower rod now complete, Parts are on the way for additional lower rod assembly -- AND -- looking further ahead, I am also nearing completion on a complete shaft system design. A custom, cam-locking system is where the time and effort is being spent right now, and as soon as that design is completed and I can acquire a successful prototype, I'll be ready to roll with a complete shaft system. It will utilize the lower rod design above, and then a one-piece, combined middle/upper shaft -- with the intent being to eradicate the "wobble" issues that some have experienced with the stock shafts. Plus, the system will include another "bonus," to be incorporated into the design, which will mitigate the other main, common complaint about the EQX "ergonomics." ;) More to come on this, later...

I am excited about this, and can't wait to "retrofit" both my 600 and 800 with this new design!

Steve

I just wanted to provide a quick update, to say that all parts arrived, and therefore I was able to completed assembly of my "prototype" carbon-fiber lower rod -- and it turned out great. Parts will arrive Monday so that I can make more of these.

Here are a few pics of the completed rod, with 6" coil installed!

Steve

P.S. I continue to work to finalize the design with the engineers at my parts supplier on the complete shaft system; we are in the final stages of wrapping up the design on the custom cam lock/clamp that I will be using to attach the one-piece upper rod to the lower rod. I hope to have a prototype of the complete shaft ready soon, and will share details and pictures of that project with everyone, in a future post.

[attachment 362005 coil-endclose-up1-smallrot.JPG]

[attachment 362006 rodinstalledclose-upsmallrot.JPG]

[attachment 362007 rodinstalled-frombottom-smallrot.JPG]

[attachment 362008 springbuttonclipsmallrot.JPG]

sgoss66 said:
I just wanted to provide a quick update, to say that all parts arrived, and therefore I was able to completed assembly of my "prototype" carbon-fiber lower rod -- and it turned out great. Parts will arrive Monday so that I can make more of these.

Here are a few pics of the completed rod, with 6" coil installed!

Steve

P.S. I continue to work to finalize the design with the engineers at my parts supplier on the complete shaft system; we are in the final stages of wrapping up the design on the custom cam lock/clamp that I will be using to attach the one-piece upper rod to the lower rod. I hope to have a prototype of the complete shaft ready soon, and will share details and pictures of that project with everyone, in a future post.
Sweet looks great id buy one with the amount of hunting I do it would be money well spent let me know!
Thanks Mark.

Thanks