Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox test garden testing, including a head-to-head video with the CTX 3030...

sgoss66

OK all,

I finally did a bit of testing of the Equinox 800, and the CTX 3030, in my test garden. There is a lot I could say, but I will try to keep this relatively short.

Background --

My test garden was "planted" about 6 years ago. I have pennies, nickels, and both clad and silver dimes and quarters buried, generally at depths from 6" to 12", every two inches. I also have a few "challenged" targets -- a 6" deep penny with nail on top, a 6" deep penny with a nail roughly 3" to the side, and then the same nail configurations with two 6" deep dimes, and then two 8" deep quarters.

The soil in my test garden is rather harsh/mineralized; today, ground balance on the Equinox was ranging from the high 40s to high 50s, depending upon mode. There is also some EMI; I could not run the Equinox any higher than 20 sensitivity, if I wanted to minimize the chatter -- and that includes repeated noise cancels.

I have tested numerous machines in this test garden. Many single-frequency machines will fail to ID coins beyond about 6" deep -- with all IDs trending solidly toward iron after the 6" depth mark. Exceptions to this have been Explorers/E-Tracs, the Fisher Gold Bug Pro, and Fisher F-19. I will also note that Minelab FBS machines get a bit more depth in other locations locally, as compared to what I get in my test garden.

I wanted to accomplish a few things, today, in my limited amount of time.

1. I wanted to get a general sense of how the CTX 3030 was seeing each coin, and then do the same with the Equinox -- just to get a general sense of what the "limits" of each machine were, and which would detect/ID "tough" targets better (both fringe-depth targets, and the "challenged" nail/coin targets)

2. Check several different modes/configurations of the Equinox, to see how changes affect the unit's capabilities

3. Check the Equinox on a few deep coins, to see whether it could match CTX depth in this dirt, on these coins.

Before I give any analysis/summary, I would point out that back when my primary machines were the Minelab Explorer SE Pro and the Fisher Gold Bug Pro, I ran a lot of "head-to-head" tests between the two. At that time, the Gold Bug Pro would consistently give equal, if not better, reporting on most -- if not all -- coins in my test garden. Particularly on low conductors (nickels), but even on clad and silver coins. HOWEVER, "real world" use proved the Explorer a much better choice for deep-coin hunting, for various reasons -- including better depth at most locations than could be achieved in my test garden, better identification of trash targets (allowing me to move more efficiently through trashy parks and not dig as much junk), etc.

Having said that, I will say that in short, the Equinox performed better overall, on all targets, than the CTX did. VERY similar to how the Gold Bug Pro "bested" the Explorer.

1. The Equinox gave more consistent "dig" information on the coin/nail combination targets, from a larger range of sectors in 360 rotation around the targets. In other words, smaller sectors of "pure iron" tones and ID were given as compared to the CTX; in other words, the high-tone, higher VDI responses from the Equinox formed a more complete portion of the 360 circle-of-rotation around the targets than the CTX was able to.

2. The Equinox could give chirps on deep high-conductive coins that the CTX could not.

3. The Equinox could give enough clues to make a "dig" decision on some deep coins that the CTX could only manage inconsistent "chirps" on -- and I attempted to capture an example on video (a 10" deep clad quarter), which I will link later in the post.

4. Lowering reactivity/recovery settings does increase depth/give a better signal on deep targets, BUT -- sweep speed must be slowed down substantially for the lowest reactivity settings, and increased substantially for the highest settings, to accommodate the speeds.

5. Park 1 mode was tested the most; different modes (and settings) did afford different advantages on different targets, but I am not prepared to comment thoroughly yet. I did note that Gold 2 mode is indeed a HOT mode, and could hit targets as well if not better than any other mode.

6. Ground balance matters (duh) on this unit, and it MUST be balanced each time you switch modes, as each mode settles at a different ground balance number depending upon mode (when using the auto-balance process).

7. Noise cancel should ALSO be performed when switching to a different mode, as different channels were selected by the machine as the "quietest" channel, depending upon mode.

8. Higher reactivity settings seemed to experience higher EMI/noise.

9. The Equinox is NOT weak on deep high conductors, compared to FBS.

10. With that said, the Equinox was able to give more stable ID, to deeper depth, on nickels, versus high-conductive coins -- i.e. better ID "lock" on nickels, versus bouncier ID and audio on high conductors (though overall depth of detection -- in terms of a "dig-me" response, was similar between nickels and higher-conductive coins, if accounting for the jumper VDI numbers).

11. Beach mode -- despite higher frequency weighting -- did not offer improved detection of high conductors, as I thought it might. One reason, I believe, may be that because ground balance is "locked" to zero in beach mode (which I did not know until today), and with my test-garden dirt balancing in the high 40s to high 50s, this was too much of an "offset" from the fixed "0" balance for beach mode to "shine" in this case (my guess).

12. The Equinox should not be thought of as "one detector, with multiple adjustments," but -- in my opinion -- more of a "multiple different detectors in one package," with each mode representing a "different" machine.

I have much more testing to do, but wanted to put my preliminary thoughts out there, for those interested.

Here is a link to the CTX vs. Equinox video, shown over the 10" clad quarter. Forgive the quality -- I've never shot/edited a detecting video before, and only had an iPhone to record with. Still, I think this video illustrates the results I was getting in general, CTX vs. Equinox. I chose this target, as it was "on the fringe" of what was still "diggable" with the Equinox (Park 1, reactivity/recovery 2, iron bias 3, ground balance 48, sensitivity 20, noise cancel channel 1) but "sub-diggable" with the CTX (maxed out manual 30 sensitivity, open screen above the 20 FE line, fast off, deep off, 50-tone conductive, Ferrous-Coin separation).

https://youtu.be/JZpCD1NTmE4

Steve

Since Beach mode is locked to 0, and FBS machines are adjustable, is it fair to say that the FBS machines would/could work better in salt conditions ?.....Thanks for your report...Jim

Thanks Steve, fine job on your first video. I was expecting the CTX to do a better job than it did on your test.

I agree, Chappy. The bad dirt in my test garden, and FBS units, do not get along well, for whatever reason. An 8" deep silver or copper coin is the deepest "easy" dig, in most of my local dirt, for an FBS unit and stock coil; beyond 8", it gets tougher, and you have to be "on your game." A 9" coin here is a VERY challenging dig. Meanwhile, I could get a chirp, at best, on my 8" dimes -- silver or clad -- in my test garden today, which is typical for FBS. The Equinox hit them better, for sure. The 9" penny was "iffy" on the CTX, MAYBE I would have dug it, if I was really lucky. The 10" silver quarter was a no-go entirely for the CTX, and you see how the 10" clad quarter sounded. No "dig me" signal on it, either...

Steve

synthnut said:
Since Beach mode is locked to 0, and FBS machines are adjustable, is it fair to say that the FBS machines would/could work better in salt conditions ?.....Thanks for your report...Jim

Jim --

I'm being told that if you choose MANUAL adjustment of ground balance, instead of using the AUTO adjust when setting balance, that you can manually set the ground balance on beach mode to whatever level you want.

I am not sure as far as FBS units; since the Explorers and E-Tracs do not HAVE a ground balance adjustment, it's tough to compare. And I've never used the GB option on the CTX. There has been some talk though that the Equinox will see smaller gold in salt conditions than FBS will, at least to shallow (few inch) depths...so it depends I think on what you mean by "better." Is FBS deeper on the salt sand? Don't know, but I think it's being concluded thus far that FBS won't see very small low conductors as the Equinox will in the salt...

Hope that helps!

Steve

Steve-
Great write up. Thank you.
Question, how does one determine how mineralized their ground is? What do you look for? How is you detector reacting?

unearth --

I'm going on a couple of things --

One, my soil is "red clay," and the red color comes from iron oxides -- thus it's "irony" soil; the effect of irony soil is two things -- reduced depth of detection, and reduced ID accuracy (your machine tends to ID targets as iron as they get deeper in the ground, as the iron in the soil "biases" the signal). I have confirmed these effects (decreased depth capability, and poor ID accuracy on deeper targets) in my dirt, using many machines over the past several years.

Another, is that the ground balance number on my machine in my dirt was up around 50, give or take. That as I understand it, compared to other users of the Equinox, is "high." Many have talked about numbers "in the teens," in their "mild" dirt.

So that's a couple of things -- hope that helps. If you still have questions, let me know.

Steve

Now to see the real in field testing on actual targets.
Thanks again for all the time it took to do this and looking forward to any other test you do.

Rick

synthnut said:

Thats not how ground balance works. GB exists to quiet down the background response from IRON MINERALS. The more iron in your soil, the higher the GB setting will be. Saltwater is not an iron mineral, it is a conductive mineral, so no amount of GB will quiet the noise. This is why traditional VLF detectors absolutely suck at ocean beach hunting.

Some beaches will have black sand (hematite and magnatite) which are iron minerals and would need a GB adjustment. Many Caribbean and gulf beaches are coral sand and have basically zero iron mineralization. Thats why my CTX will max out about 12" on a coin in my soil, but I can hit them very solidly at 18" on a florida beach.

sgoss66 said:
.......My test garden was "planted" about 6 years ago. I have pennies, nickels, and both clad and silver dimes and quarters buried, generally at depths from 6" to 12", every two inches. I also have a few "challenged" targets -- a 6" deep penny with nail on top, a 6" deep penny with a nail roughly 3" to the side, and then the same nail configurations with two 6" deep dimes, and then two 8" deep quarters.

https://youtu.be/JZpCD1NTmE4

Steve

Thanks for the write up. You confirm the same thing the testers have been saying all along!

Thanks Steve. I have very similar soil so I will be paying close attention to your tests. Were your settings on the EQ what hit the quarter best or just simply a starting point for your testing? Appreciate the effort you are putting in.

A bit of both, Mike.

I usually hunt in Park 1 mode so far, so that's where I started. Usually I hunt sens. 25, but had to run it down to 20 to "quiet" the machine. Otherwise, I started in Park 1, just as I normally hunt (reactivity 3-4, iron bias 4). From there, I tried all different reactivity/recovery settings, and noted the differences. Then, I started to switch to other modes. BUT -- at first, because I had not ventured out of Park 1 until then, I forgot at first how every mode has different reactivity settings, iron bias settings, etc. as the default. So, at first, when I first switched to Park 2, I thought "Park 2 doesn't hit this quarter as well." I was surprised. I knew I re-ground-balanced and noise cancelled, so what gives? And then I went to look for other settings to adjust -- and when I got to reactivity/recovery, it was at "6" -- and I thought WAIT, I changed that to 2, in Park 1. Then, my second thought was -- oh, yeah, global vs. local settings. OOPS! So, as I was starting to run out of time with my testing, I was getting tripped up in that every mode I wanted to test, I had to go into the settings (and advanced settings, in the case of iron bias), and be careful to set them all to what I was using in Park 1 -- so as to be "apples to apples."

BOTTOM LINE -- each mode responds a bit differently, but most of them would hit that quarter. I have a lot more testing to do -- and next time it's not going to require the CTX. I know "which" targets are presenting a challenge for the Equinox, and now it will be testing different modes and settings to compare the equinox TO ITSELF, and really understand which settings work "best" for which types of scenarios.

Steve

Steve.... the CTX doesnt have a GB...but remember it does have a salt setting used in the water. Im told by Tom D that auto is the way to go....but like gold hunting I will be trying a -1GB. VERY GOOD report too. I can only speculate right now. Good news for the dirt hunters.... glad im no longer looking for high conductors.

dewcon4414 said:
Steve.... the CTX doesnt have a GB...but remember it does have a salt setting used in the water. Im told by Tom D that auto is the way to go....but like gold hunting I will be trying a -1GB. VERY GOOD report too. I can only speculate right now. Good news for the dirt hunters.... glad im no longer looking for high conductors.

CTX DOES has a ground balance setting, it just should not be used in 99% of locations.

CTX doesn't have GB that's funny mine does, and it serves a very useful function but that's another forum!

Steve,
Thanks for your reply......

Jason in E,
I was speaking in terms of including black sand into the saltwater equation....All the beaches in my area include these conditions and work hand in hand.... I neglected to consider the beautiful white sand beaches.......Jim

Jason... I misread Steves comment about CTXand GB. So that was more of a statement. Which wasnt stated to well lol. Ive used the manual GB in the salt water.... I got some wierd digits on what the machine said it should be running.....auto just works best. Thanks jason.... didnt mean to misstate.

Great report Steve. Thanks for taking the time to do all this testing and sharing your results with us on the forum.

I think it would be fair to say that the Equinox does better on deep high conductors relative to the CTX as mineralization increases. In other words, the more mineralization, the better the Equinox does compared to the CTX. In mild soils, the Equinox doesn't seem to have any advantage over the CTX.

Just goes to show, yet again, that the results of any performance testing is highly dependent on local soil conditions.