Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox tones

shiffty

Hi all...having had the equinox now for about about 6 weeks and only using 2 tones .can anyone clarify if I use 5 or 50 tones this will give me any more info on the target or are the 3 tones purely just an audio response that a target has been located?? Had a Garrett at pro in the past and audio was just a standard bell tone.these minelab tones are a bit confusing..thanks for any help in advance

shiffty said:
Hi all...having had the equinox now for about about 6 weeks and only using 2 tones .can anyone clarify if I use 5 or 50 tones this will give me any more info on the target or are the 3 tones purely just an audio response that a target has been located?? Had a Garrett at pro in the past and audio was just a standard bell tone.these minelab tones are a bit confusing..thanks for any help in advance

:confused:

The tones are an audible representation of the number on the screen. I dont know how to explain this concept any clearer.

Have you read the user manual? Have you read the quickstart guide?

shiffty --

In short, YES, there is a lot of information in the tones that you are missing, if you are only running two tones. There is a whole LANGUAGE there, in those 50 tones, that tell you things about what is in the ground. But, like learning a foreign language, you have to immerse yourself in it, and take your time learning what the different tones and "inflections" mean...it's hard for me to imagine hunting a Minelab machine as a "two-tone-only" unit, unless hunting in a very specific way (i.e. digging ALL non-ferrous targets, for instance...) You are taking all that "rich" language and nuance, built into the tonal capabilities of the unit, and making in essentially a "yes, no" machine...

Steve

I’ve got to where I hunt by tones and only look at I’d when I have a repeatable tone. I would suggest setting up a test bed of targets ( coins, nails pull tabs etc.) and seeing how you like it.

Steve....... i dont know if he hunts a beach, but i use two tone there. Most of the time thou im in 5 tones to match my bin set up and in deep water where i cant see the screen. Im not a fan of 50 tones in the water...... the minerals and falsing drives me nuts.

Thanks for the replys all
Yes I hunt mostly at beaches down in the wet sand..any info on what iron bias setting I should set?

shiffty said:
Thanks for the replys all
Yes I hunt mostly at beaches down in the wet sand..any info on what iron bias setting I should set?
I would just noise cancel then ground balance or have tracking balance on..It's what I do all the time works well for me..

Dew --

Yep, on a beach, where you are "digging essentially all non-ferrous," is an example of a time where it could make sense to me, to hunt with a setup using two, or just a few, tones. Some specific relic hunts might be the same way, also. In my mind, it's all about how much digging you intend to do (which has to do of course with what targets you are seeking). If you are generally "selective" about what you are going to dig (i.e. in a park hunting for coins, where lots of modern trash and iron abounds), Minelab's multi-tone setups give you lots of information, once you learn the language and "dialect." In my mind, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot to hunt two-tone. Meanwhile, if you plan to "dig it all," or "dig all but iron," like when gold-hunting on a beach, then the extra tones may prove to be no more than superfluous noise.

Steve

dewcon4414 said:
Steve....... i dont know if he hunts a beach, but i use two tone there. Most of the time thou im in 5 tones to match my bin set up and in deep water where i cant see the screen. Im not a fan of 50 tones in the water...... the minerals and falsing drives me nuts.

I am set on one tone for the beach. If it is non-ferrous. it is coming out period. I do not need any other distraction in squawks or ticks. Just repeatable signals.
Dave

Im not a 1 tone guy..... i know some of that iron/minerals chatter even with dist..... tones just do a wrap round at the low tones instead of like most machine the high end. Iron Bias...... 0 plain and simple, not like a park with all that iron and trash in most cases BUT i dont want to loose weak targets. A lot of gold are weak targets if small. Steve ..... also in 2 tones..... you can reduce iron volume and increase the khz on tone two...... really brings things to life in the water. I also run default GB 0..... you may get a little more chatter.... but what that tells you is your near hard pan..... as it quiets the sand is less mineralized. Thats information worth knowing. I do agee thou....... in the water we are just listening carefully for a target...... any target.

Ive got about 5 mos and 600 hours on it. Ive not found it to have a big learning curve for me since i beach hunt only. But ..... i wasnt much of a fan at first with all that mineral chatter..... something the Xcal and CTX cuts out. Ive made some adjustments to help and have gotten used to it...... and of course i like what its finding. Just wish it was a little better on small gold in the water.