Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox vs ATX

these two detectors are not even close when it comes to depth, weight or price. The ATX is double the amount in all three areas over the Equinox. These two detectors are totally different and no comparison should be made between them since they are two totally different types of detectors for totally different situations.

Garrett ATX is a pulse induction detector and will detect for instance and aluminum pop can at probably 18 inches to 2 feet deep in mineralized dirt. The Equinox 800 is a VLF detector that uses simultaneous multi frequencies and with the stock 11" coil can probably hit the same aluminum pop can at around 13" in the same mineralized dirt. Just guessing here. I have never used the ATX.
I have hit 12"+ aluminum and tin cans with the Equinox. I have used several Minelab pulse induction detectors along with the White's TDI and those PIs have hit large deep targets including pop cans at 18" easily. The Equinox 800, on the other hand, in gold mode will hit small targets 1/4 gram or even less, at 6" or more that the ATX, Minelabs and Whites will not even detect. So, it all depends on what you are searching for and in what kind of dirt environment.

Jeff

They were not made to search for large targets-that happens to be a by product of the power.
They were made for prospecting for gold nuggets, including the very smallest ones in ground so bad you may not even
get a VLF to ground balance.
(I have hit deep #12 birdshot with various pulse units; I'm sure there are several #12's to a 1/4 gram.)

Pi' really excel in extremely highly mineralized soils, where even the multi frequencies detectors struggle. They can also be tweaked to better respond to gold vs other ferrous/non-ferrous substances.

Look I like PI detectors ever since I bought an old Garrett recon. The false signals went away imediatly. It only has a 8 inch mono coil and won't go deep enough for me. I ordered the 15 x 20 mono coil and it made it worse as far as depth goes. Still can't understand that, but it's true. I have 3 test gardens. Took away half it's depth and on larger targets. Just not compatible with my detector is all I can quess. Thanks