Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox vs Explorer, for deep-turf-cherry-picking

Tom_in_CA

This should be a safe question to post here. I got shouted down and seriously brow-beat for this subject @ a few other forums.

I got one of the original Nox 800's. I put it through a few .... admittedly short .... tests over a few days, on flagged signals. I would flag what I suspected to be a deep turf coin (wheatie or silver at 7 or 8", etc...). And then try it with the Nox. I armed myself with all the latest rumor-mill buzz, of the various optimum setting option pros & cons, at the time. And the short-story is: I was not impressed. The Explorer just seemed to have more "room to spare". The Nox didn't seem to have tell-tale audio enough, that I would differentiate from scores of objects nearby, that I would certainly have passed.

So I floated it for sale after only a week. The market was still hot at the time (long back-order lists), so I was actually able to make a profit. But my hunting partner was quite dismayed that I hadn't given it more time. And when I posted my results on some forums, my results were immediately dismissed . D/t various reasons like :

a) "You should have tried such & such setting. Or that & such setting". or

b) "That's only because you have more experience on the sounds of the Explorer...". Ie.: "You simply didn't give yourself enough time to learn the Nox's sounds."

Any other benefits the machine touts, didn't interest me. Ie.: I'm not into nuggets/prospecting. Micro-jewelry doesn't excite me. And I have other machines to reach for if I'm in carpet-beds of nails (ghost-townsy thick iron). Hence, that only left curiosity for the turf. And I didn't feel like it added anything extra, in my short tests.

Then a few months ago, another friend here in CA got the Nox. Although he had only used it in old-town demolitions and relicky sites so far (not turf-cherry-picking), he and I were curious as to how it stacks up . So THIS TIME, in order to prepare for the push-backs (of incorrect setting options), I cautioned him to : Please go on-line, to any/all forums, and do key-word archive searches, on all hobbyist's input. And get an exhaustive list of any/all potential setting changes, that could help. Naturally, each one comes with different pro's and cons drawbacks. But told him to "cover all bases" and make a list of all the various settings that could be tried.

We also thoroughly rehearsed the idea of "not falling prey" to the easy psychological trap, of : Having a signal pointed out to you, and ... hearing anything, and thus announcing : " Yes I hear it too" . Because, for a test like THIS, the MUCH BIGGER QUESTIONS ARE : 1) Could you have found that on your own ? 2) Can you tell that, versus shallow clad and nail falses and other-such-trash that we are trying to pass up ? Even then, it's easy to subconsciously convince yourself of a "yes" for the answers to both those questions (d/t the memory-bias trick). So to solve that, we agreed ahead of time to ALSO flag targets, that we suspected are NOT deep high conductors. And then not-tell the other person which target is which. Let THEM be the one to "call" it. That way there's no subconscious grading-bias.

We met up at a certain turf area in San Francisco . Where I can still reliably get several more wheaties, and a silver or two @ anytime I'm passing through that part of the state. And right off the bat, I started flagging suspected deepies. And , at first, he could get anything I pointed out. Some of the ones he was showing me, I told him I would pass, d/t I felt they were too shallow to be an oldie. But that can be written off to his lack of turf prowess/experience.

On a few of the signals, he had to admit that he would NOT have heard them if they hadn't been pointed out to him. And to whatever extent he could hear them, they had no distinguishing characteristic , that would have sounded any different than various things , that were going to end up being junk. A few times he'd point out a deep whisper, but they tended to be deep nail falses. His ratio of getting fooled by deep nail falses was 2x or 3x as high as times that I got iron-fool-falses. And ... each time, he'd attempt to "re-do" his call (change his tune), and say : "Well, come to think of it, it *did* sound a little off". Doh ! That's always an easy trap to fall into. We only remember those type premonitions when we get the nail in our hand. Yet if it were a deep silver or wheatie, we'd say to ourselves: "AHA, I KNEW IT". :rolleyes: Doh

One thing we each noticed, that when it hit about 8am, then I REALLY started to spank him. I would show him 4-star wheatie type signals (the classic tooty-fluty tunes), and it was all he could do to even get a tick or a burp over it. And in each of the situations, would stop, pull out his cheat-sheet, and try a myriad of settings changes, re-sweeps, different angles, re-balance, noise-check, sens up/down, toy with recovery speed, blah blah blah blah. Nothing helped. That tells me, in the case of a flagged spot, that NO ADDED AMOUNT OF YEARS OF EXPERIENCE would have helped. Eh ? But on the other hand, we both realized that things had only gone from bad-to-worse, at about 8am-ish. And that he'd done better at the 5 to 6am hour, for example

So we began to suspect that his Nox 800 was more prone to certain types of inner-city EMI. And that the "city comes alive" at the starting of people's waking hours. And apparently whatever-specific electronic noises , didn't happen to affect the Explorer. So to be fair, I couldn't fault the Nox. Since I too have been in zones where the Explorer "didn't like the atmosphere" , at certain locales, as well.

Hence we decided to have a "Round II" test, at this spot, on another day. But that THIS time we'd go at like 4am. So that we could have a few hours of no street traffic, no waking-hours-EMI, etc.... But still, the results were about the same : I was spanking him 3x to 1x on old coins. Whether the order of the flag was "me calling him over" or "him calling me over". And then comparing the correctness of the "calls/TID". By this time, he was beginning to lack confidence in his Nox 800. We even went to another location, in another city, about 30 or 45 min. away. To a park that, likewise, still have scores of deep wheaties/silver to choose from (yet carpets of clad to avoid). And after sampling around for awhile, he perceived that he was getting no EMI at this location. D/t the couple of starter deepies we flagged and compared, came in as good as could-be-expected on his machine. Contrast to the post 8am comparisons at our SF spot, where ...it was clear that something was skewing results.

But at the end of this particular park's hunt time. I had bested him on count. But to be fair, we didn't do a lot of "flagging" at this particular spot. Hence it could be chalked up to luck of the draw. Like maybe I wandered into a slightly better area. Or that I have more year's experience, etc... Still though ... Just based on the few we did flag in this location, I did not see ANY advantage of his Nox, over the Explorer, for the deep-turf-objective. At BEST it would have been a move-sideways.

We posted our results. And the pushback was predictable . The Nox faithful continued to say that it not a fair comparison, when one person has nearly 20 yrs. on Explorers, and the other guy only has a few months on a Nox. I tried to point out that these were FLAGGED SPOT TESTS (such that ... no added-amount-of-year's experience or settings-changes would have changed the results). But that fell on deaf ears. The Nox faithful could logically say that : While perhaps this Nox user can say that the "tick" he could get was indistinguishable from the myriad of crap he was trying to pass, yet : To an *experienced* nox user, perhaps the difference would have been clear. And again, as can be predicted, Nox faithful dreamed up *yet more* settings changes the Nox guy *should* have tried.

At that point , I began to suspect that NO AMOUNT of testing will EVER satisfy the desire to pit to the two against each other. ANY PERCEIVED failure to win-the-duel will summarily be dismissed on some grounds. And ... sure ... perhaps some objections have merit. But on the other hand, all the "outs" that can be rolled out as objections, seem to be never ending.

All of us want the "best mousetrap". And many of us here saw how "parks came alive" back when the Explorers were introduced. They were spanking the Whites on depth, and they had better deep-bent-nail reject when compared to the CZ's. So they made parks come alive again. Thus, when the Nox hit the market, and people were touting that ... in the same fashion, their parks "came alive", then : It's to be understood that people would want to "see that". Ie.: to do tests and comparisons. IN THE SAME WAY THAT .... 15 to 20 yrs. ago, we saw our Whites and Fishers and Garrets getting their b*tts kicked in deep turf by the explorer. Ie.: At a certain point, you couldn't argue with the Exp. results back then. Right ? So what's not fair about subjecting the Nox to the same standard of testing and results ?

What's the opinion here, for deep-turf-cherry-picking ? Is the Exp. better ? Or the Nox ? Or merely a step sideways ?

Tom, I would say that most folks on this forum will say the Explorers are tops. The sounds are very distinct and help a great deal when detecting.
The two screen is another advantage and lastly the after market coils are numerous.

The NOX is a different machine entirely even though it’s a minelab. I like the NOX for parks that I have hit with Garrett, Whites, Fisher and the Explorer II.
It has rewarded me some silvers, large cents, Indians and wheat cents and an occasional gold ring.

I still have the Explorer II because I know it real well after ten years. Some folks know it much better than me - they get a deep target and know it’s a silver. I am not that good with it.
The NOX is the same way, after you get good with it you’ll pick out those lower TDIs and be rewarded.

I was on a beach a few days ago using the NOX, the TDI was low a 4 then a 7 but I heard a sound like a coin. About seven scoops down was a nickel, crazy for sure.
There must be iron rust in the sand that changes the signal response. The same is true for dirt - you have to learn it like you did with the Explorer.

Best of luck, just enjoy the hobby and don’t drive yourself crazy.

Tony NJ

Tony, thanx for chiming in .

BigTony said:
...Tom, I would say that most folks on this forum will say the Explorers are tops....

Go figure, this is the Explorer forum. Doh ! :blink:

BigTony said:
... I like the NOX for parks that I have hit with Garrett, Whites, Fisher and the Explorer II.
It has rewarded me some silvers, large cents, Indians and wheat cents ...

Then a question for you: In those particular cases, do you think that you could equally have found those coins with your Explorer II ? Or was the ONLY reason you found them, because the Nox offered an advantage over your Exp II ? I suppose the only-real-way to answer the question, is to have flagged those signals, and tried it with each machine, prior to digging. But .... anyhow.... do you think your Exp. II could have gotten them ?

BigTony said:
... and an occasional gold ring...

BigTony said:
... after you get good with it you’ll pick out those lower TDIs and be rewarded...

Since the context is parks, then I would not put that into the category of "cherry-picking". When I say "cherry-picking", I meant for high conductor coins. Yes I realize that means kissing nickels and 95% of gold rings "goodbye". But assuming, for a moment, that someone wants to ply the parks for gold rings : Then IMHO, a guy doesn't need a machine that's "better at low conductors" to accomplish that. He can simply lower the disc. knob on ANY detector, and ... go out to any blighted old park and ... fill his apron full of low conductors.

Unless of course you meant that you got those occasional gold rings without having a punishing ratio of aluminum to contend with ? Ie.: As if the Nox somehow allowed you to discern gold vs aluminum ? So can you clarify ?

BigTony said:
... I was on a beach a few days ago using the NOX, the TDI was low a 4 then a 7 but I heard a sound like a coin. About seven scoops down was a nickel, crazy for sure. ...

Ok, this crosses over into a discussion of beach , not turf-cherry-picking. As such, this is a *possible* admitted advantage that the Nox might have over the Exp's :

As we all know, the explorer is most-at-home and deadly on high conductors. Such that, for example, you will probably get a dime deeper than a nickel, EVEN though the nickel is the larger-diameter coin. And , of course .... it's no secret that the Explorer is weak on dainty fine gold (ie.: micro-jewelry, tinsel-thin chains, etc....). As such, consider the following analogy :

Back in the day, when the first beach pulse machines hit the market , an odd phenomenon was noticed : If there were two machines, working the same exact area, and one was a pulse, and the other was a standard discriminator. The two guys would notice the following trend in the statistics: The pulse guys tended to have a higher-ratio of nickels in their coins. So if, for example, each guy had 100 coins, then the pulse guy might have 12 nickels, and standard machine guy might only have 9 nickels. Or if their coin counts differed, you could discern the same pattern by their ratios.

The reason was the following : The pulse machines have an edge on lower conductors. And since nickels are lower conductors, then .... all-other-things-being-equal, that you'd end up with slightly more nickels (assuming a lot of coins at the fringe-depth of both detectors). Then if we apply that logic to the Nox vs the Exp, then .... at the end of the day, you might expect the Nox to have a *slightly* higher percentage of nickels. If all other factors were equal. If this is true, then ... likewise ... the jewelry ratio could be a tad higher. Since gold jewelry tends to be lower conductors.

I would only employ this logic for the beach. I could care less about applying this logic to turf, since .... there is no lack of low conductors, as it is, in any urban park. But on the beach, in a strip-mine mentality (dig anything conductive), this could come into play.

Again, this is only a side-bar. My main curiosity is about cherry-picking turf, as it pertains to Nox vs Exp.

Tom------You're gonna give yourself ulcers with all this!:)------Just use your EX2 for what you are asking about (cherry picking turf).-----Every thing's gonna be ok---that detector is hard/impossible to beat for this application.----------BTW, Merry Christmas to you & your family.-----------Del

Tom, take a chill pill, I am not going to argue with you because it’s plain to me that you are right.

I used the Explorer for ten years at these parks and I also said that I wasn’t as good as others who know the deep signals were silver.
Using the Nox at these parks got me more silvers because I can interpret the signals better.

Now as you said that the Explorer was a high conductor machine and everyone knows it - that is because you and everyone else are Coin Shooters only.

I am a coin shooter but when the silver dries up at a place - I challenge myself to find gold. The Explorer will find it - you just need to try.

Please don’t rip me back just get out of the house and enjoy the hobby.

Goodbye,
Tony NJ

I’ve always found it weird that some say FBs isn’t a nickel hog. Most people don’t HUNT nickels I guess, at least back when silver was up....
Yah, FBS vs EQX=2 different things.

Kevin, I agree - these machine are good at hitting nickels and that is step one in finding some gold items.

Tony

Tom in CA,

First, great write-up. Perfect timing for someone like me who had been teetering on trading in the Explorer SE for a NOX 800, or even possibly a Makro Anfibio.

I love the Explorer SE. My only reason for even wanting to trade it in is because of the weight. I blew out my elbow a few years back and even after surgery, my elbow is toast after swinging the Explorer all day. As for depth, that is what is most important to me as I go for the old-old oldies; hence the reason I've hung on to the Explorer for so long. I've tested out several other machines over the past 10 or so years and found none of them to be a bad detector. Heck, a few I thought gave a much clearer, solid signal for coins that were less than 5 inches deep, but I just couldn't find one that gave me the depth and accuracy that the Explorer has. I'm sure if I wanted to fork out $2,500 then I could buy another machine that could easily get me the depth that I am looking for in a detector.

I do agree with other posters that you're an All-Star with the Explorer and your opponent has only had a few months to play around with the NOX. Maybe over time, he'll start understanding those iffy signals and increase his "oldie" finds. I do find it interesting and a little concerning that you were getting pretty good signals with the Explorer, while the same target was barely registering on the NOX.

Were you both using the same size coil?

Even though the NOX 800 newer and is built by the same manufacturer, I'm still not convinced the NOX is "better". I might have to go with a NOX eventually because of my elbow, but now I'm thinking that maybe I buy the NOX for normal detecting (i.e. coins 6-7 inches or less) and keep the Explorer SE and use that for the deep ones and the so called "hunter-out" areas.

Interesting discussion indeed! Jeff...I am in the same position you are. I couldn't swing my SE for a long period of time and I never fully understood it. I did buy an Equinox 600 and that is my main machine but I will not sell my SE as I take it out once in a while. I do like the tone of the SE compared to the Equinox on coins. Tom...did you run the Explorer in conductive or ferrous? Ted

Jeffrey D. said:
....I love the Explorer SE. ...

Jeffrey, are you aware that , of the entire explorer evolution incarnation line-up: The SE was said to have suffered in the depth department ? Those persons that had moved from the II, to the SE, often made this observation . That they had lost a tad of depth. This was because in Minelab's attempt to speed up the recovery-speed processors a bit with the SE, that came with a cost of : The deeper fringe targets were actually being compromised . So you had to make several passes over suspected targets, to get an idea of the TID (eg.: iron or conductive, etc....). Versus the Exp. II, which tended to get the TID hints on the very first pass over the target. Not sure if this can be solved by electing for "slow" , in the menu, for the recovery speed or not.

I had noticed the loss-of-depth on the wet-salt beach, for instance, when I tried an SE. I was digging "iffy" signals, that were turning out to be only moderately deep dimes or whatever. And I was thinking "gee, if this had been on my Exp. II, it would have given a stronger signal over that". I floated my observations on line, and several other long-time exp. users (who had come up through the ranks) agreed with that observation. Saying that there was a loss-of-depth on the SE . Yes.... even with the pro coil

So if you are enjoying the depth of your SE, you might want to find an exp. II to try out. You might be pleasantly surprised at gaining even a bit more depth & clearer signals. JMHO

Jeffrey D. said:
.... Were you both using the same size coil? ....

On the first hunt in SF, that I alluded to : No. He had a smaller coil. Hence we dismissed any "raw depth" comparisons. However: This stretch of turf is riddled with iron and clad and zinc. And sometimes there is shallow (4") deep silver hiding next to junk. His nox didn't seem to afford any special ability in sniping oldies from the junk. Yet .... to be fair .... we were fully aware that this was not to be used as a test of raw depth.

On the next hunt : Yes, we had the same size coils: The standard 10.5" or whatever.

Ted S said:
.... Tom...did you run the Explorer in conductive or ferrous? Ted

Ted, for turf hunting (the particular type hunt agenda of our duels), I was using conductive. I always use conductive mode when turf hunting. So as to put a more-pronounced tonal difference between objects like zinc and copper pennies. Ie.: makes silver "sing" better.

When I'm in relic hunt locations (ghost towns, stage stops, old-town demolition, etc...) and for the beach: Then I use ferrous, with the screen wide open.

Ted, what I did was use Conductive first, then after no good targets came out (after pounding that area) I would switch to ferrous tone and then find more cool targets.

One thing with Ferrous, using that will give a nice pinging sound when you hit a silver coin, some folks call it the minelab Warble.

You probably can search around or look at the stuff posted as a sticky. There might be info on it

Tony

I ran ferrous the last time I used it Tony. Mine has the Pro coil and I have Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones for it. It will be a long time before I get back out with either machine...I hate winter!!

Here’s my EX2 in Conductive. You can clearly hear that “wandering pitch” that some call a “warble”. I just call it “a good sound”....: https://youtu.be/OQUL87RUi58

Thanks Kevin! I will try to get one like that this winter...Speaking of winter...Get ready for the snow tonight!:veryangry:

Kevin, good job on those two oldies, congratulations! Good job on the video too!
I always thought the ferrous sound was the warble maker, oh well maybe it wasn’t my hearing going bad.
Also great to see your Mod in action! Do you do them on request?

Tony NJ