Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox VS Explorer..

I'm considering a few options and having owned and loved the Explorer, how does the Nox compare? Will the Nox find coins left behind by the Explorer?

Not sure about the explorer but I like it over my old Etrac lighter waterproof better at unmasking IMHO..
Mark

You did not expect :minelab: to chime in did you? :lol:
(word is some people are finding "methods" for lightening detectors)
https://media.wnyc.org/i/800/0/l/85/1/Balloon_in_hangar_NARA.jpg

You want the lowdown based on my actual experiences/testing with explorer/Etrac/CTX vs the mighty Equniox 800.
Here is my take.
Depth advantage on copper and silver slight advantage to the Minelab Explorer, Etrac and CTX.
Using CTX/Etrac and explorer when high conductive nonferrous is detected ID is generally more accurate (conductive number) vs ID on Equinox.
On lower conductors like nickels equinox ID wise will run circles around the other Minelab mentioned here. Much better ID on nickels being affected by iron.
Remember explorer and even Etrac have no tone bins so Equinox can have a nickel window tone established. CTX can too just remember what I said about CTX above.
Running Equinox using default settings will not let an operator get max depth generally. Exception here could be higher mineralized soil.
Sweep speeds generally can be faster with Equinox.
Weight advantage big time Equinox.
Now, based on what I know.
Using 11” coils on all Detectors. Hunting a site with either explorer or equinox. Could I pick one and hunt a site and say all high conductive coins are found with one of these detectors? No
Would it be better after hunting and take the other model in and hunt and recover finds? Yes e
Then I might be more apt to say site hunted out.

Jewelry like gold rings.
If we assume there’s more women’s ring lost than males. I think this is true.
Equinox here gives huge advantage.
Again because it give more accurate id on rings that’s could be affected by iron.
Youndig targets using Equinox reading 7-13 you’ll dig fewer pull rings , you will dig nickels and have strong chance to dig women’s rings. This strategy works in parks, beaches, and old home sites.
Explorer ID won’t give you this accurate ID and ID of lower conductors more Apt to be skewed.
Equinox is also a DEEP detector on gold rings. Even the smaller 6” coil on Equinox is DEEP for its size and you compare Equinox and 6” coil for depth against other VLF Detectors wearing 6” coil. Eqx top performer.

Here’s is a video I did. Using Etrac and Equinox 800. The explorer will behave lot like Etrac does here.
This test here using nickel and nail.

Remember explorer behavior very close to Etrac.
Here’s another test vertical nail and clad dime.

Here’s video again Etrac compared to Equinox.
Clad dime and nickel used and stacked and order reversed when swept.

Last edited:
Try the equinox in field 1 see what happens? That's why you have to try all the settings I've done the same thing the nox in my area works best in multi..
Mark

How about the tarsacci against the equinox
would like to see which one more sensitive to gold and which one goes deeper
gold only

Here's mine of the Tarsacci on a relic hunt last week. I did video one signal comparison between the Tarsacci and Equinox, it is towards the end and was the deepest bullet found that day.

You did not expect :minelab: to chime in did you? :lol:
(word is some people are finding "methods" for lightening detectors)
Fully agree!....And now that the Simplex came out, Minelab will end up giving a one /two punch to show who’s boss....They aim to be the leader!......they realize they need to combat the issues they have.....If they don’t users will move on to better design offers!....That’s my opinion!

The original question will the Nox find targets the Explorer missed. I have searched parks that I have gone over with many different Explorers. Short answer the NOX with a 11 inch coil will out class the Explorer on depth by 2-3 inches in my ground. Over all the Explorer will ID targets better especially bottle caps, with a choice between the two detectors. I'd choose the 600 or 800 Equinox

Here's mine of the Tarsacci on a relic hunt last week. I did video one signal comparison between the Tarsacci and Equinox, it is towards the end and was the deepest bullet found that day.
My finds whit tarsacci in Mexico

Attachments

• 96A08CA9-B202-4843-A6D2-7D3D3EB651E2.jpeg
    96A08CA9-B202-4843-A6D2-7D3D3EB651E2.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 1F3D9831-1DA4-48E1-8A5D-2F4C6463CBA5.jpeg
    1F3D9831-1DA4-48E1-8A5D-2F4C6463CBA5.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 242
  • A288AE5E-EE55-49F2-95E2-A73B0AFA32D6.jpeg
    A288AE5E-EE55-49F2-95E2-A73B0AFA32D6.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 260
  • A348CDB4-AD15-4BCC-B44C-8EA81D743B98.jpeg
    A348CDB4-AD15-4BCC-B44C-8EA81D743B98.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 1D6AD2F6-342D-4031-A044-DF89C32C5718.jpeg
    1D6AD2F6-342D-4031-A044-DF89C32C5718.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 236
I haven't posted in a real long time - so sorry I missed your post
I have used the Exp II for about ten years until the NOX came out.
Both can find gold, go deep and both have it's own learning curve. NOX curve is quicker to learn.
If you know how to test a machine with gold or silver items you can teach yourself quickly than I can explain.
The EXP II can be set to hear a certain ping sound, called the wrobble (song of a bird). Once you hear that sound its probably a silver coins, cool feature not on any other minelab machines.
The EXP II has a display screen that will assist you in eliminating bottle caps - totally. NOX has two ferrous modes you can adjust for that function. I still haven't found the right combination of those settings.
The EXP display screen is better at deciding if you have a gold target, testing is advised - even on gold chains. Once you see the display hit go to the numbers screen and watch the numbers.
My screen is the original split display - only about half was dark - -6 I believe.
If you have bought the EXP - buy Andy's book on EXP/Etrak. Programs and information are terrific.
If you bought the NOX, his book is helpful but not for advanced users - its pretty similar to his past works but that is my opinion.
I am curious now which detector did you buy? wITH THE exp buy a arm support for twenty bucks, it saves the arm. Best of luck and most of all - have fun out there.
Tony