Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Equinox?

Knipper

I'm sure the Equinox is a fine detector, but the E-trac has truly spoiled me. The two main concerns I have about it, are first, the target ID numbers seem really close together. Perhaps if they enlarged the scale to at least 50 number values, it would be more precise. As it is, there seems to be some 'crowding' when trying to identify targets in the desirable range. Cent and dime readings appear to blend together, and the number range appears to be broader and less precise. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I like more differentiation. Second, it only offers one set of ID numbers, which I assume is the equivalent to the conductive numbers on the E-trac. Again, with a broader range of ID numbers, it gives less information that the E-trac does, having both 'ferrous' and 'conductive' readings on a target. After I got used to that, I wondered how I ever got along without it....this coming from someone who started out with a meterless/ screenless detector with minimal discrimination capabilities in the mid '70's. The depth on the Equinox seems to be okay. A third concern is the availabilty of aftermarket coils and accessories. There are at least four companies making coils that work with the E-trac, in a host of different sizes and shapes. I like to experiment and have WAY too many coils (probably), but I feel I have just about every site condition covered with them. As of now, I think there are only three coils for the Equinox....maybe more will come later. Last, I'm not sure I like a rechargeable format, with a battery that can only be replaced by the factory. I like the E-trac removable cells and the AA battery module for when you can't recharge the cells....handy when out in the field with no plug! I don't see why Minelab couldn't have incorporated the ferrous and conductive numbers into the target ID screen of the Equinox. I think it would have been a shoe-in for us Explorer/E-trac users. Honestly, I don't own an Equinox, but have many seasoned detector using friends that do, and they share my thoughts. I guess if it was all that was available, I could deal with it if the E-trac ever goes away. My tendency to have to have a back up plan, even caused me to buy a third E-trac, which I will keep unused in pristine condition, in case the E-trac goes away. It should keep me going until an improvement comes along or until I'm in the ground along with all the good targets!

Last edited:
I'm sure the Equinox is a fine detector, but the E-trac has truly spoiled me. The two main concerns I have about it, are first, the target ID numbers seem really close together. Perhaps if they enlarged the scale to at least 50 number values, it would be more precise. As it is, there seems to be some 'crowding' when trying to identify targets in the desirable range. Cent and dime readings appear to blend together, and the number range appears to be broader and less precise. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I like more differentiation. Second, it only offers one set of ID numbers, which I assume is the equivalent to the conductive numbers on the E-trac. Again, with a broader range of ID numbers, it gives less information that the E-trac does, having both 'ferrous' and 'conductive' readings on a target. After I got used to that, I wondered how I ever got along without it....this coming from someone who started out with a meterless/ screenless detector with minimal discrimination capabilities in the mid '70's. The depth on the Equinox seems to be okay. A third concern is the availabilty of aftermarket coils and accessories. There are at least four companies making coils that work with the E-trac, in a host of different sizes and shapes. I like to experiment and have WAY too many coils (probably), but I feel I have just about every site condition covered with them. As of now, I think there are only three coils for the Equinox....maybe more will come later. Last, I'm not sure I like a rechargeable format, with a battery that can only be replaced by the factory. I like the E-trac removable cells and the AA battery module for when you can't recharge the cells....handy when out in the field with no plug! I don't see why Minelab couldn't have incorporated the ferrous and conductive numbers into the target ID screen of the Equinox. I think it would have been a shoe-in for us Explorer/E-trac users. Honestly, I don't own an Equinox, but have many seasoned detector using friends that do, and they share my thoughts. I guess if it was all that was available, I could deal with it if the E-trac ever goes away. My tendency to have to have a back up plan, even caused me to buy a third E-trac, which I will keep unused in pristine condition, in case the E-trac goes away. It should keep me going until an improvement comes along or until I'm in the ground along with all the good targets!

One more thing...I hear some in the hobby refer to the E-trac as "Old Technology"! Are you kidding me? I still think it's one of the most advanced detectors out there, even considering the CTX-3030. A bargain when you compare price points between the two, and availability of after market coils.

I picked up an Equinox 800 a month ago used. I was going to get one for finding earrings and hearing aids for the recovery calls I do.

I've put about 10 hours on it chasing coins and do not like it. I have ran the ctx 5-6 years and the etrac since the spring of this year. The Equinox is going to sit in the closet for now till needed for a recovery call. Its very hard going from the ctx/etrac to an equinox chasing coins. I like the the lightness of the machine. My arm can definitely tell the difference after 4 hours swinging. If I'm going in the woods the equinox would be nice just digging any high signal not watching the ID numbers just off the sound. If its a city park looking for deep coins I'm taking the ctx or etrac 100 percent of the time. I just spent 6 hours in a bad iron infested park with the equinox thinking I could find some masked coins other people miss but it did not happen. I was using the 6 " coil going slow and only found a 1970 penny. The iron is so bad you cannot move 2 inches in any direction without hitting iron.

I might come back to this park and try some more later but for now onto better ground.

I wouldn't mind an e-trac but I have an Equinox 600 and an Explorer SE with a pro coil. I like and use both of them!

Reactions: cw3
@cw-- I'm curious why you went from the ctx to the etrac, usually the progression is the other way around. I've been using the ctx for a couple months and other than than missing that delicious silver warble, I have no desire to swing the etrac anymore.

@cw-- I'm curious why you went from the ctx to the etrac, usually the progression is the other way around. I've been using the ctx for a couple months and other than than missing that delicious silver warble, I have no desire to swing the etrac anymore.
you also have to figure in all the coil choices for the etrac too...any size you want to use is available from 5 to 18 x 15 inches...choose your weapon thing.
Why would they make so many coils for a detector....think about it.

I have a work aquatance who likes the ATPro better than the Etrac. He needed money due to having surgery. So, I got a very low how Etrac for $700.00 probably been used less than 3 hours. He likes to go fast, so the at pro is better for him. I like to go slow and methodical. I've done very good this year on recovery calls. So, money does not come from the family budget. I bought an Etrac and an Equinox 800 with reward money this year.

I always wanted to hear the Etrac warble on silver. Always read about it but never got a chance to use one. In my opinion the ctx is better than an etrac on silver. I like both and enjoy using both.

Its always the same story.....a new machine comes out and the previous machine is "old hat".I know detectorists with old explorers that will keep up with detectorists using the nox.Its finds rates over a detecting season that matters and there hasn't ever,in my 30+ years of detecting,been a new machine that has made a significant difference in this department.The Etrac will still be an effective unit for many years to come in the real world.