Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eric, a question regarding the Aquapulse AQ1B

Tony

Hello Eric,

Would it be possible to add a SAT feature to the Aquapulse AQ1B. I find that the audio 'tick" drops into the silent zone all too easily from it's original position where it can be heard.
I guess it's a bit like the old Fisher Impulse where an extra hand can constantly tweak it. I find the detector loses sensitivity if the audio (SET AUDIO) drops too far into the quiet zone. A quiet signal won't raise the "tick" in order for it to be heard if the ticking is too slow or non-existent. I usually start with about a tick per second but it will quickly drop to a tick every 5 seconds and then ten seconds until it no longer ticks at all. This is solved by increasing the SET AUDIO (threshold) back to where it can be heard again......but the whole process then starts again.

I do have the 20µs version which is very impressive but I would put my grandmother on Ebay for a SAT feature.....:blink:

I did post this question on the Geotech forum with limited results.

Thanks,
Tony

Sounds like a circuit, part problem.
SAT addition would not really help in your situation.

Hi Tony,

I saw your question on the other forum and intended to answer, but here is the best place. The Aquapulse 1 was primarily for diving and at the time it was considered that SAT would be a disadvantage. On wreck sites you have to sweep slowly due to water resistance and also deeply buried objects can 'tune' out as you sweep over them. It is easy to put a simple SAT on the Aquapulse but that has the disavantage of a negative swing in signal when the coil has passed over the coil. Give me a few days and I will post some information on a better SAT circuit and where to put it on the AQ1 board. BTW there alway was a bit of negative drift which appeared to be due the the transmitter Mosfet warming up. This would be worse at 20uS than the original 30uS setting. These longer than normal delays are due to the sea water signal being much greater when you are on a wreck at 50ft water depth that just in the surf zone.

Eric.

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. Your term "negative drift" is a much better explanation of the threshold issue. I did speak with the folks at Aquascan about this and it is something that they are considering for future models so as you say it can be done.
I do know that I really need to be hearing a regular tick (per second) so that a smaller/deeper target can register as it readily interrupts that (regular) tick.

I am only doing beach and shallow water so am I correct in thinking that a SAT would be overall more advantageous for me?

Thanks again Eric,
Tony

Hello Sven,

The circuit is fine. New and tested from Aquascan so no problems there.
It is typical of this detector so I am hoping for a solution which should be a SAT feature.

It is a powerful machine and runs optimally when your left hand can tweak the SET AUDIO to keep the threshold audible at a nice tickover speed....about 1 click per second.

Tony.