Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Erik, VCO Pinpointing

Cody,

Thank you for your very informative post! It is obvious that you know the electronics of these detectors very well! I'll print your post and go over it a few times on the way to/from work tomorrow - lots of good info there to digest. I hope you don't mind if I run a few questions by you in order to better understand this topic.

Now re Oklahoma, I have a friend down there in your neck of the woods that's very interested in getting started detecting. She lives near Tulsa in a town called Sapulpa. I'll actually be heading down to Branson, MO in about a month or so for a Western Festival where Buck Taylor from Gunsmoke fame will be meeting folks. Would be great to be able to get together and do some detecting when I'm down your way.

Best Regards, Erik

The electromagnetic detection field induces eddy current into a metal target if it is in the field. A coil that is detected in the soil matrix does not cease to have current induced just because the coil gets mixed into the soil we dig up in recovery of the coin. So why then can we detect it but then not detect it when it is in the dirt piled up from the hole from whence the coin came? This begs the question of why cans that same coin be detected with a probe such as the X-1 in the sides of the hole or in the dirt pile?

The detector has three very fundamental principles of operation in that soil minerals are rejected, some trash can be rejected, and ideally we want to detect precious metals. Soil mineral rejection is discrimination but to the soil. Soil mineral rejection is based on the principle that it presents to the electronics a constant but changing target. The soil is essentially a very large unwanted target. The electronics is designed to discriminate out the soil minerals. Refined metals which include the targets we want and don

Cody, Thanks again for the very informative post - I'll print this one out too and digest it on the way home tonight. My only comment is that the X-1 can be used in either discrim or pinpoint mode. Re the disappearing targets, I've never had one disappear on me that I can recall and I use the X-1 90% of the time only in discim mode. If the Explorer coil will lose a target when the soil is disturbed - wouldn't the same apply to the X-1 which is just a miniature coil?

I will try a couple of experiments this weekend with putting the target back into the hole and into the disturbed pile of soil from the hole. I know that mineralization probably varies a great deal from region to region, but I'll report back here on the findings.

BTW, I'm sure that many here enjoy reading your very insightful and informative posts as opposed to some of the rantings as of late - who cares what a bunch of people you've never met say against a body - and as far as I'm concerned everyone is entitled to their own opinions, no matter how rediculous they can be! :lol:

Cody,

Erik is right about the X-1 probe. It is a discriminating probe just like the coil which also has the pinpoint ability just like the coil. I'm surprised you were not aware of that since you owned an X-1 yourself. I sold it to you.

On the subject of disappearing targets when the hole is dug, I have only encountered that problem when the hole was deep enough to lose the signal because there was not enough soil matrix to carry the signal and I was basically air testing with the coil. The X-1 probe reconnected with the target in the hole and the target in that situation was usually in the bottom or near the bottom of the hole sometimes on edge. The probe, being closer to the target, was able to pick up the target which was hiding out of view in the soil but within range of the probe - sometimes more dirt had to be removed for the X-1 to find the target if it was still deeper and out of range of the probe. I hope this helps.

Ralph (Sun Ray)

I was thinking of a situation where the target looks like soil minerals so the target seems to disappear. I don