Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EuroAce (350) and Canadian coins.

Recently I set discrimination on my EuroAce (350). Just the lowest notch. I did it because bobby pins on the beach were driving me crazy. EuroAce has enhanced iron resolution that supposed to help hunting Canadian coins. I thought it worked fine - I still found pennies and an odd loonie or toonie and a silver dime - until today. Well, today in the park I got some pennies pull-tabs and pieces of old wires and than I swung over something shiny in the grass. Display showed something on the lowest iron but, obviously no sound since the discrimination was turned on. I picked up that shiny thing and it was a few years old nickle! The lowest notch discriminated it out! I turned off discrimination and within minutes popped some dimes, quarters and another nickle. Tested it and with two notches discrimination, none of them would ping. With one notch, some would ping only one way and not the other. Well, from now on, I'll be saving discrimination for bobby pins loaded beaches only.

Canadian coinage plays tricks on you. Freshly dropped, new shiny nickels nickles & quarters sometimes barely give off a signal, unless they are nearly perfectly horizontal. Now add a little oxidation and or scratches, and they come to life. My guess is the many more eddies produced from the dull surface and scratches give a much more pronounced signal. I find the concentric coins do a better job reading the freshly dropped new coins compared to the DD's.

It must be a real challenge for an engineer to develop a program for a metal detector to try and read a coin, when the readings themselves change depending on the condition of the coin, never mind the year. What I do to help with my DD coils, is when getting a statically iron reading, I hit the pinpoint button. If it's a new coin, the machine will give a strong audio and pinpoint as a shallow target and coin sized. If it's junk, it won't pinpoint very strong at all. I wish the Canadian Mint would stop changing the metal composition and or plating of our coinage. Rusty quarters and dimes are quite ugly :(

Over all, I prefer the Euro settings for our coinage over the US design.

Hope this helps.

John

Thanks John. It sure does help to understand why our coins can ring all over the spectrum. From what I see, readings on some of them can also vary substantialy between the air test and in the ground results.

[size=medium]Hello.

Thought I' d chime in here !

Most canadian coins, as many other coins from other countries, have a steel core or are made of steel-based alloys. To convince yourself, test them with a magnet. As a result, when detected, the ID will be jumpy and very often read as low as iron, especially when they are on edge.[/size]

There is only one way to detect them all with a correct ID, and that is to use a metal detector that has manual ground balance. You have to search your inland places with the manual ground balance set to ignore salt water!!! (and yes, I am sober at time of writing this lol), , and the detector will only read the copper or other non ferrous alloy that is used to cover the steel core.

You'll lose maybe half an inch of depth but will pocket all loonies and toonies

HH

Nick