Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ever sweep in water?

diggingFx

Just wondering if anybody has detected in water with explorer? I've had luck in sand but hesitate to submerge coil..

Yes, a few times mainly just to rinse grass or mud off when I am near lake or creek. It was an old swimming lake but not really "searching" because the water level wasn't low enough to work it.
I wouldn't fret over submerging it with a comfortably safe margin between the water surface and the "sensitive electronics"

Good advise thanks. Alright, now just have to replace my cracked coil. Either that or get an excal . Gettin a little tough bending these days, thinking sand is where Im headed.. Also think I'll incorporate some sort of strap incase of a drop.

My buddy 'Sturrat' does..up here in MI fresh water...year round even, he's nearly unstoppable even in this cold....he knocks the heck out of gold/silver, so it can be done...he did drop his rig in the drink, but took it home and dried it off real good with no ill effects... water hunting isnt as easy on the body as one might think, its a lot tougher physically than dirt work..
Mud.

I used the Explorer lots in Lake Michigan for a few years. Great depth in the clean sand swimming beaches up there. Found lots of jewelry that way. Now there are soooooo many guys doing it that it's hard to find 3 cents in an hour up there.

some of my local beaches get cleaned mechanically, wouldnt mind that job.. but i have a couple that are littered, plenty of tabs n such.. hopefully I'll be sharing some pics with you all after the thaw.

Hello diggingFX, Here in Maryland the Ocean City beach cleaners are also out after dark. But the Key to success is to Check the Beach Volleyball courts on a Grid Pattern and don't forget to Drop your Sensitive around the Poles for Jewelry. I also have a Gold Program I use in my Explorer 11 for the Ocean water that's works when wading in the surf. Good Luck. Budwiser

thanks, i've read that them beach combers leave a lot behind so here's to hoping:cheers: I once decided to dig sand and almost immediately scored a 14k toe ring but was using inferior small bend down sifter.. I recently created 'Big Mouth' (sand scoop) that should make the job fun and way easier.. early thaw this year I'm thinking

Most of my detecting is done in water. First buy a harness so you don't have to worry about dropping it. Second use the rechargeable battery pack not the expensive minelab pack. Last week the detector tipped over and dunked in the sea result, slight damp in the battery compartment, all I did was take the batteries out and dry them off open the case and dried off the terminals, if I was using the pack with the built in charger I expect it would have fried which has happened before. I have also sealed the gap with silicon grease where the arm rest fixes as there is quite a gap into the battery compartment. Third I cover the whole housing with a heavy freezer bag containing silica gel packs which is then sealed with electrical tape which seem to keep the display clear as it used to condense over sometimes. I use the minelab on that beach as there is tons of ferrous under the sand thrown from the harbour so it makes it detectable.
The other day only found several coins including a 1911 shilling a 1919 & 1921 penny as the sand is very deep at the moment but it just goes to show how long stuff washes about on our beaches.
After a lot of practice and giving up with the SE Pro a couple of times I now know most of the sounds and don't look at the screen very much.
Hope this is of help