Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EX vs F75

erikk

I have been reading a lot of reports about the F 75 and was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to run one and what were the results you had? Seems like every time a new unit comes out it is the best, deepest do all there is. I use an EX2 and have another for a backup and are very happy with them. My only gripe is the display and if I can fine a detector that is as good or better than the explorers that I can see the display I am going to get it. Just wondering

Okay, the F75 does have a better display. I too have always had trouble seeing the EX display well.

Actually the F75 is a wonderful new detector and is living up to most of the hype. It is the first detector I have used since my first Explorer in 2001 that I use as much as the XS/SE. I get very good results with it and it is fun to use. I do not recommend that you get rid of your Explorer however. If you get one, get it to add to your arsenal, not to replace your Explorer.

It has some advantages over the Explorer, and vice versa. The display, weight and balance, and speed are a few if the attributes that it has in it's favor. We all know that the Explorers have a few attributes of its' own.

I feel like there will be a few more great detectors coming down the pike in the near future. It is nothing to worry about at all. In fact, it is something to celebrate.

If you have the funds, get you a F75 and enjoy it. If you don't, don't worry - you have a great detector already.

JMO

HH Alton

Alton
Thanks for the info. I had NEVER even considered the idea of getting rid of my EX-2's. Just wondering about the F-75. Funds are not a problem and I have a CZ7a pro, DFX the ex-2's so I guess another one won't hurt. No one detector will do it all but the EX-2 comes pretty close-it's just the display that drives me NUTS. Minelab has to realize that everyone who buys the detector is not 25 with 20/20. Some of us old folk's buy them too!! Even though I rely mostly on the tone I still like to see the other info so I can adjust the settings as needed

HH

Well the display on the F75 is certainly easier to see than the Explorer but I wouldn't trade my SE for it because of that.
I'll reserve my opinion on the F75 vs SE until I can get way more time on it than I have now.
What I have seen with the F75 mimics what ALL manufacturers have with new product lines ... and that's production QA problems.
There have been a few go back for repairs/replacement etc. for memory issues, instability etc. and that's to be expected.
A buddy of mine has one, he's a very capableand dedicated hunter that loves to hunt trashy sites loaded with iron. So far I'm walking behind him and pulling things from the iron the F75 doesn't see or hear no matter how it's programmed.
With me using a 10" and the 8" coil against that 11" waffle iron coil in trashy sites ... I feel it's NOT a fair comparison, but so far the Explorer is still the KING in the iron. May be a different story when Fisher releases a smaller coil for the F75 but until they do, I'll wait to buy one.
Granted he can cover way more ground than I can with that fast swing speed but he's digging a LOT more trash holes and the SE usually ends up with the best overall goodie pile.
Can't tell you how many times I've heard my buddy wish he had a small coil though :)

Interesting Mike
I switch back and forth depending where I am on the EX from a 5" sun ray, 8" & 10.5 Minelab or a 15 WOT. If not too trashy I will start with the WOT and work my way down to the 5. It is amazing that I keep finding things the other coils miss but I must add, the WOT doesn't miss much

Alternating machines and finding different depth targets I have found the same results as you and your buddy. I decided to use the standard and the Joey Coil and hold off using the small coils trying to make both machines as equal as I could make it. I have to say I do like the F75. I would not get rid of my SE for the F75 though. For the Iron ,beach performance the SE is still the best in the areas I have been hunting so far. I feel having both with a small coil for the F75 along with the small coils for the SE or Explores you just can't go wrong having both. We will see what the F75 will do when the small coil gets here. Maybe I can thin out the herd . :D: :D: Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

While I haven't used a F75. I did have a T2 which is very similar. Since you're not looking to get rid of the Explorer... I think the F75 is a nice complement to the Explorer. The things I liked about my T2 were it was excellent in iron and had a quick recovery time. The T2 also ran well in some of the places I detect that have bad mineralization. But, in MY experience my T2 was not as deep as my Explorer or CZ-3D. The depth comparison was made by me in the field. It was a direct comparison by finding a target with each machine and comparing signals with each. In iron I liked how the T2 did. You rarely dug any iron and still dug coins without a problem. I didn't get a chance to do a direct comparison in heavy iron between the Explorer and T2. I got rid of my T2 to help finance my other hobby. But, I will end up getting a F75. I think it will be a good machine. The T2/F75 has strengthens in different areas than the Explorer which I like. Depth is not everything in a detector. Although, I hear the F75 is slightly deeper than the T2.

-Bill

It means that I can't read anything in the small screen. Sens. depth, etc. Unless the light is perfect it is unreadable. I have used Polaroid glasses, sun shade and the whole bit. Bottom line is the display sucks. You will find out what I mean when you get in your late 60's
HH

Hi Erikk
Long time no talk. Been using your advise and doing good with the Ex II . Wanted to jump in here in your defense. You dont have to be 60s to have problems seeing the screen. It sucks at 50 too.! Is there anyone who has info on a sheet polorizer or film that helps. I heard they had been playing with that thought. Would really like to know we could all use the help. It is supposed to be better seeing the SE screen ? IS IT? anyone?
Come on guys someone has got to have a solution here for us guys over 25.
Grumpy

is to hunt in total darkness with the backlight on. I agree with you guys, I'm 52 and it is hard for me to see all the info.

Try this..Turn down the screen setting contrast, I think mine is set to 5. The key is in sunlight, the sunlight will saturate the screen if the screen contrast setting is too high, you need to go to a lower number. Also, I cut a piece of that very thin plastic notebook folder material a little less than the width of the top of the control housing. Then I used sticky backed velcro piece across the top of the control housing, then used the other mating velcro piece over it with the plastic material between it. Then you can slide the plastic piece back or forward as required to block the sun. These 2 little fixes really will help you see the screen in sunlight.

Your eyes would have to be really bad to not be able to see the screen clearly . "Turning up" the screen contrast to maximum on the SE makes the numbers very easy to see. Without maximum contrast they are hard to see in bright sunlight i agree. My eye sight is less than 100% perfect probably about 70% vision but i have no problems with maximum contrast it makes the pixels clearer.

The blue ones work a treat especially the briko ones like these have a crystal clear polarised lense that makes reading the screen clear as a bell. expensive at anything up to $100 though.:smoke:

Well I can Honestly say ... I don't have any Trouble seeing the screen..... "Knock on Wood" It would be nice if it had an even larger display .. But no issues looking at it HUH

Check with a welding supply store and see if they have any polarized clear plastic lens like you use in a welding hood. If its too much sunlight, while it might look odd, have you considered "blinders" around the SE front end? Or is it not enough light, or simply the wrong color ambient light?