Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ex2 as backup for etrac early impressions

scrounger

Etrac now 7 yrs old and has had lots of use.
Thought it time for a quality backup of minelab.
In case repairs or ? Usually I would jump forward
Instead a back.but I had tried 3030 and was
Not impressed compared to etrac. Had also
Used a buds se for an afternoon and it seem
Too jumpy like quattro I got rid of. So, saw
Ex2 for sale locally 400 seem good price.
Is little used. I will use etrac for serious hunting as always
But need to learn ex2 just in case. Have manual.OK
Quick start. Much higher tone on silver. Non vco pinpoint
Very poor almost unusable. Heavy coil helps keep it low
Esp in thicker grass. Fe/co numbers too small to see ez.
Someone help cannot get to accept reject portion of screen.
Book sez press iron mask once and it should appear
I get iron mask -6 screen only !
Looking forward to playing with. And should be killer on
Deep silver. I'll mark.mark s.Chicago.dig wars fame.
Was a master on this !machine and refused to use
The newer one for many years. Which is why I bought it.
I'm thinking I use this etrac/ex2 combo for a few years.
I'm in on the 3030 at around a grand. Or a second etrac at 500.
Maybe by 2019. Anyway will be fun trying it.

3 things come to mind.
1) Tone is relative to threshold setting,if you didn't know this....it can be somewhat tailored to your hearing taste.
2) Screen can be expanded to large numbers in digital,and,max the Contrast during the day to see the display
3) Pinpoint is definitely usable,though different than what you're used to. And,as always,multiple targets will make it useless. Smaller coil helps a lot.

Hell of a "backup"....a lot of people would be thrilled to have it at all.

I have the ET and the E 11 and at the moment i am using the E 11 and the ET is back up .
I think why not use the older machine first and keep my new ET in the box.

Do you have the manual for the E 11 , if not look up Staffordshire Metal Detectors.co.uk and there will be a section for manuals then all you do is download it , its there.
I always use the digital screen and press the middle button of the 3 on the right hand side to get the bigger screen.

Try these settings and dont worry about numbers as much , they are not as accurate as the ET . This will get you started till you can handle the max settings.

Sensitivity 22 - 28 in Auto , Volume 10 , Gain 9 , Tone / Threshold tone 1 , Variability 8 , Limits 10 , Sounds Conduct unless on iron the Ferrous , Noise 2 , Response Normal , Recovery FAST ON Deep off.
You will have to be in advanced mode for a lot of this i think , then also put in the nails screen then into edit then do a similar pattern as nails at the bottom left. THEN SAVE IT.
On the Iron mask screen retreat the blacked area to just 1 line on the left then go back to the other pattern , you can use this to check iron when you are not sure.

The pinpoint mode very unfortunately cannot be used as an all-metal mode function because it lock onto targets. You have to get used to it because determining the shape of the target is very important, you can discriminate this way. The first swing over the target in pp will sound different to following swings, when you realise how to tell the shape of the target using pp mode, this will help a lot.

Other than that, just start off with factory settings with only minor tweeks.

Nuke em said:
I have the ET and the E 11 and at the moment i am using the E 11 and the ET is back up .
I think why not use the older machine first and keep my new ET in the box.

Do you have the manual for the E 11 , if not look up Staffordshire Metal Detectors.co.uk and there will be a section for manuals then all you do is download it , its there.
I always use the digital screen and press the middle button of the 3 on the right hand side to get the bigger screen.

Try these settings and dont worry about numbers as much , they are not as accurate as the ET . This will get you started till you can handle the max settings.

Sensitivity 22 - 28 in Auto , Volume 10 , Gain 9 , Tone / Threshold tone 1 , Variability 8 , Limits 10 , Sounds Conduct unless on iron the Ferrous , Noise 2 , Response Normal , Recovery FAST ON Deep off.
You will have to be in advanced mode for a lot of this i think , then also put in the nails screen then into edit then do a similar pattern as nails at the bottom left. THEN SAVE IT.
On the Iron mask screen retreat the blacked area to just 1 line on the left then go back to the other pattern , you can use this to check iron when you are not sure.
them are pretty
Complicated instructions for new user. I will come back to
This post later when more experience. The big screen
Numbers though.thank you.much better

One last thought...the Explorer will do "serious hunting" and don't be afraid to throw that coil from the eTrac on the Explorer. Some say it's marvelous.

Really,this is the last thought....press IM button ONCE to adjust level in IM,then press IM button AGAIN to get into screen that hunts in IM. Press a THIRD time when you want to go to your DISC screen. So,there are three screens controlled by the IM button....IM adjust,IM hunt,Disc hunt. You'll get it no problem,piece o cake.

Dont waste time in quick mask , go advanced and do the settings i said then you will get far better results. Read the manual for instructions to guide you.

Found a video that helps figure the explorer out and how to set it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Mpb33KY3I