Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal Battery Pod & Silicone Grease

I was wondering what other users feel the best course of action is for maintenance of the Excal battery pod. The Minelab manual states the following:

As part of the manufacturing process, Minelab applies a silicone grease to
the battery cable connector pins. This prevents a build-up of residual
water and reduces the level of electrolysis between the two pins, which
in turn prolongs the serviceability of your unit. This grease should be
reapplied as part of your routine care and maintenance.

So it sounds like they are suggesting to periodically put silicone grease on the two connectors that get inserted into the positive / negative slots in the battery. In searching various forums I have also read user recommendations that silicone grease should be used on both sides of the rubber gasket and the screw threads. Furthermore I have heard some recommend not putting silicone grease on the connectors which seems to contradict what Minelab recommends. Any thoughts?

For the electrical contacts on stuff I prefer dielectric grease, commonly referred to as boot grease you can buy in tiny little packets for 99 cents at auto parts stores. It's mean to coat the spark plug boots to prevent oxide build up and also so the boots will come off easier down the road. This stuff it meant to prevent electrical contacts from gumming up over time, especially connections you aren't often plugging/unplugging where the physical action of doing that would rub off any oxide build up. With the super low amp draw of a detector it doesn't take much oxide to stop the flow of current.

I use the stuff any time I replace a sensor or other such part that plugs in on my truck when working on it. Thing is don't put it on thick or then it will stop current flow. Just gob it on and then wipe off the excess so only a thin film is present. Not sure if the stuff would work well for the seals on your pod? Might since the stuff is meant to condition and keep spark plug boots from dry rotting/sticking to the spark plugs too. I'd probably stick with what Minelab recommends for the gaskets and not risk trying this stuff for that. Might be a different material that the boot grease will eat up or something.

If you look in the Excalibur Accessories stick there is a link to a thread with common maintenance tips for the Excal where a bunch of people chimed in, and they also listed the top most common failures of the Excal that maintenance should be done on and how to do it on things like the Pods and such. Really good thread with a ton of info in it.

I use electrical grease on the rubber gasket and just a thin film on the contacts, seems to work good this way. HH

n/t

I use a high vacuum grease on prongs and rubber gasket - not on the threads as this would attract and catch sand which would cause problems later.

Thanks for the response and extra information links everyone!

Since the gasket is the critical link that ultimately forms the seal, even though Minelab does not recommend it, I can see that adding a light coat on both sides of the gasket may be beneficial - perhaps helping to form a better seal and giving the gasket a longer life. I can also see following Minelab's guideline of putting some on the connectors to prevent corrosion. Although perhaps a very light coating may be optimal as I wonder if too think a coating could interfere with the electrical connectivity. As for the plastic threads, I agree with Sandpiper that this is probably not a good idea. First I don't see a benefit to include grease there as the threads are not where the seal occurs and I do see a potential issue that grease on the threads could act like a sand magnet.

HH!

You might find this interesting.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease especially in your choice of which to use for what purpose. Doesnt sound like using an airisal spray would be the best.

Dew

I use Pool & Spa lube from a swimming pool supply store. It'says on the tube that it "features DuPont chemical resistant flouoropolymers" and to use it on o-rings, gaskets, valves and threaded parts. It works great to seal my machines in salt water.

Dew,

That link is about the clearest explanation I have ever seen.

Thanks!