Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

excal car charger question????

usmc0351

minelab shows two car chargers on their web site, one for all bbs detectors and one for sov's and excalls,,,,which charger goes with what, my wall unit its a nicad charger, but i have nickel battery's in my excall 2,,,which charger car charger goes with the excall 2.

The one with the box ( in photo on thier website) is the one that has the correct plug to fit the ikalite adapter but its for nicads, my excali 2 came with a nicad charger too (even though it has the nimh batteries) which isn't the ideal charger for nimh batteries, in the long run it won't do them any good.

The acucell-6 in this topic http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1178409 is a far better option and will work out cheaper and will look after your batteries and keep them in tiptop condition, i now use it for all my charging. As it runs of 12v it doubles as a fast car charger, in the house you will need a less than $10 power adapter(or make your own from an pc power pack) but its still cheaper than the $49.95 minelab one

Hi Kered, what is the less than $10 option for a power supply? I've been looking to make a power supply from a PC unit but all the stuff I've found at work is way newer or way overkill compared to the online tutorials I've read. Thanks!

And if you do have a PC power supply laying around you can try searching RCGroups for conversion info. I found what I needed on there and it walked me right through it. The big problem was the power supply I had didn't have the universal color codes for the wiring like most do, so I had to track down a bunch of stuff with a multimeter to sort it all out. What made it more confusing was all the wires hanging out of it. Many are duplicates. Once I got it down to the ones I needed I cut everything else at the board and shrink wrapped them to avoid future shorts. What's great about using these PC supplies is the voltage supplied is very clean, more so than most commercial DC power supplies meant for this purpose because a PC will crash if the noise isn't cleaned up well in the voltage. Another nice feature is you can bring 5V, 3V, and a few other voltage sources out of the thing as well. I did with mine for powering RX/servos on the bench when testing my RC planes. Eliminates me having to break out a speed control or a BEC to power things for testing. You can also combine several of the output voltage sources to produce custom voltages for projects.