Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal control knobs

the knobs aren't epoxied by minelab as far as i know, they should just pull off

Pop off the yellow cap and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the brass nut. The cap will then pull off (yellow headphone model and excal 2)

allgirls is right about this, on my Excal II 1000 there was some kind of glue or epoxy on the nut underneath the yellow cap. I can't remember if it was clear or blueish/greenish color. It didn't stop me from unscrewing the nut, but I imagine it helped hold the knob on better.

verylazybeachbum

I am trying to put a couple of the knobs back on after trying some aftermarket ones I didn't like. I have got the knobs back on and tightned the little nut but when I took them off to start with their was a drop of epoxy or glue on top of the nut I guess to keep it from backing off and hold the face plate on. This is a brand new out of the box Excal II 800.

I removed mine on my Excal II and I had no glue. Just the little Nut. I went with a set from Ebay that had a set screw and pointer on the knob. I think that these were a big improvement over the stock ones. I bet you will have problems with loose knobs in the field. You better just leave the stock ones off. Just my 2 cents.

Were the aftermarket knobs you tried bigger or smaller than the stock knobs? I tried the smaller ones and they slipped and rocked back and forth. I didn't like them at all. Then I got the larger kind and they are wonderful. They have a larger set screw than the smaller ones. Once I put them on they did not slip.

verylazybeachbum

My problem was with the smaller blue ones the set screw is tiny and I didn't put any removable locktite on the set screw threds so I am putting the factory ones back on for now where did the larger green ones come from. Maybe I can use the removable locktite in place of the glue.

When I lost a yellow cap from my new Excal 2 the Minelab tech I talked to said they use a small drop of super glue on the cap/nut

Thanks erikk and everyone that's all I needed to know. Would like to know where verylazybeachbum got those big green knobs from in the event I decide to change them again.

In RC to keep set screws on motors from vibrating loose I use a little clear nail polish on them after they've been tightend down. Just gob a bit on the head and edge so they are locked in place. This stuff will crack and break free when you need to remove it, or you could use nail polish remover. I've tried locktite but found I couldn't get the blasted grub screws to break free down the road when I needed to remove them. Another alternative would be a little Shoe Goo. It's a clear rubberized cement that will flex and not break, but you can easily peal it off down the road when need be.

On my friend's Excaliber he had several knobs loose. When I popped off the caps there was a ton of oxide coroasion and sand inside there around the nuts. Had to spray them with some PB Blaster (a better Liquid Wrench) and let them sit for a while. You've got to make sure you just get a little on the nut/threads and not on the plastic because this stuff might eat it. After they soaked for a hour or so I was able to tighten them down further, pressing on the knob at the same time so I knew it was seated good. So far he's had no issues with them coming loose again.

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to mention where I got them. They aren't that hard to find. I think they also come in yellow and blue. They make precise adjustments much easier. Stay away from the small ones.

verylazybeachbum

I got the green ones last week and love them!!! Much better than stock yellow which stripped on my disc. knob. The big ones rock!