Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Excal. II and city parks??

grumpy

Evening ; I have a off the wall question maybe someone has experience with. I travel a lot metal detecting and would like to carry less machines thus the question;
Has anyone used the Excal for park hunting??? If so how do you set the machine up and are there any tips to the sounds ect??
I have been trying it and it seems to work ok but you gonna dig some trash which is ok just seems mine is a little annoying on the chatter and falsing.?
Thanks for any tips or help.
Grumpy

The Xcal is a great machine because its SIMPLE. However, it would never be my first choice dirt hunting. Got to use the right hammer for the job. Unlike the Sov which you can put a meter, has coil choices, and notch, the Xcal is a little to basic for my liking. Their slow recovery machines as well. Might be simpler to sell off your machines and get a CTX. If you are working with a 10" in a park with the Xcal..... you arent going to get away from the nulling. There is just going to be iron and lots of it and every time it nulls your coil goes into coil shut down loosing you depth. Reducing sensitivity to help in the chatter will also loose you depth..... BUT a smoother running machine wont pick up as much DEEP iron so you might be able to pick thru some of the trash. Its easier to cherry pick with small coils, better tweaking, good headphones, and a TID scree. Using an Xcal is like using a PI with a 10" coil in dry sand...... you can do it, BUT.

Dew

Ya , i agree with dew.... in my opinion you could use the excal for beach and farm field hunting where digging crazy holes really isnt any big deal if refilled..but i personally wouldnt even try it in a park... some guys who are proficient with metered sov gt s hunt parks..i dont mainly due to the inability to accurately pinpoint and i rarely use the meter... for park hunting you would be much better off with a metered detector with fast recovery which would give you better target id and target separation. ..

Thanks fellows, I thought the possibility was slom :) I just travel in a small , tiny class b motorhome an with 2 corgis an wife we run out of room with 4 metal detectors on our trips, wishful thinking
Thanks very much
Grumpy

Thanks for the excal park info...

Hang on now! The Excal is still a super deep machine that is great in the iron. You just have to train your ears a bit and just go for silver. The way to do this is to sit the disc up just off full, then listen for the clean, high sounds that are not rough at the edges. These will be the less corroded targets--not the copper. Use the PP to check the depth--this takes practice. Got an 1870 Victorian dime this way last year. A meter is nice to have but this "Poor" man's Sovereign method will let you hear all the same silver targets and help to "cut to the chase."
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com

I have a great respect for u Clive....but ive done a lot of park hunting with explorers and even they recover very slowly in those conditions. Sometime u have to reducr sensitivity to eliminate falsing off deep larger iron or target the machine cant id so it nulls. Love my Xcal... but its no where close to the depth or recovery of explorer. Cherry picking with high disc I believe wouldreally b difficult since it doesnt operate with an IM switch like a Sov which is designed to report good near targets to iron. Not saying you wont find silver.... but there r a lot of machine id grab first.

Dew

What you say is true--I've been gone behind by even prehensile Explorers (they got quarters no less--ouch). When I suggest that method with the Excal--the Sens setting is down at three o'clock. For sure to understand BBS performance the concept of detuning is page one. Also, didn't realize that iron mask was a specific circuit--though it was part and parcel to the multi fq performace characteristic--interesting. Do remeber that some old Sovs you could turn it off.
cjc
clivesgoldpage.com