Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EXCAL-II WHAT SHAFT IS BEST?

Did U not get the directions I sent U to make a straight shaft? There aren't 2 many options

I've been using the Lightning Rod. I really like it.

ERICKK,yes i got it thanks alot.I was just asking whats better as far as behind the elbow,above below?confused a little I dont like the fell of the stock S thats for sure!

Behind the elbow is better for me, lots better balance and really takes the weight off, can swing for hours. I also got the plans from Erikk and made one but I also have a plugger's, works really good also, about $89.95 shipped. Any straight shaft would be better than the stock S shaped. HH

Having owned older model Excaliburs in the past, I just purchase the Excalibur II and am very pleased with it's quiet performance but I would like to see Minelab change the "yellow headphones" to a better quality headphone. To go along with my new Excalibur II I purchased the "Travel Straight Shaft" from Anderson Shafts, Ontario, Canada in the Minelab green colour that breaks down easily for transport on aircraft. This shaft has turned out to be one of the best investments I have ever made, it's rock solid, powder coated and of excellent quality. The shaft can be ordered based on your height/reach so you get a perfect fit. Check them out, it will be well worth your while, and no I don't have an investment in the company nor do I sell detectors or shafts :)

Good Luck with your choice of straight shaft, H.H.

mtpockets, may i suggest you try turning the electronics round and mount it on the shaft putting the headphone cable close to the cuff, that way it comes straight up to your head with zero pulling, it also brings the pinpoint knob closer to hand. give it a try i think you may like it

n/t

I dont have an excal but I have a sov and straightshaft with strap on the armcup is the way forward.. Ive just changed my old 10inch bbs coil (like the excal) for an detech excellerator 12.5 and that is so much lighter.. I bet its only an ounce or something but you can really feel the difference!!

Thanks for the Advice..

But...

This is the Best suited way for me.. If you look at the headphone cable. you'll notice that it at the top of my shaft.. My HP Cable runs off of my Right side.. with the HP cable on my right Ear

their is Absolutely NO.. Drag, pull, or anything mounted this way.. The headphone Coiled wire Never even stretches either.. My setup is like 5' something tall.. and I'm 6'

If you were to turn the machine completely upside down.. that's when you'll be straining you Cable..

your cable would bend in a Loop "Straining" it as it stretches to length to reach your head.

I have another safe guard in place too.. which isn't depicted in the pictures.. On the end on the straight shaft I have a Strain relief setup.. just so that in the event that I take a big wave.. and my phones get ripped
from my ears.. There will be NO strain on the HP cable going into the pod ..

I posted a quick picture as I was getting everything setup ,, I'll post another tomorrow showing how I have the HP Cable strain relief setup..

I NEVER USE PINPOINT......to me it's a useless knob... I don't go back and fourth switching between settings it's a waste of time..

I hear my tone and then Dig exactly where it's located in front of my coil.

when battling waves and rough surf at times.. who has the time to switch to PP and then Switch back again.. Not Me. I could be digging another target by the time you have to
go through all of that.. :detecting:

kered said:
mtpockets, may i suggest you try turning the electronics round and mount it on the shaft putting the headphone cable close to the cuff, that way it comes straight up to your head with zero pulling, it also brings the pinpoint knob closer to hand. give it a try i think you may like it

I just received my three piece Excal travel rod from plugger in the mail. It feels like a quality rod and is very well balanced. Too bad my Excal is being sent in for repair tomorrow. I had previously purchased a one piece 42" Sov GT rod from him and it is the best balanced that I have ever used.

I made my own. I copied OldBeechnut's version using two canes from goodwill. I liked it better than other homemade shafts I have seen, because it comes apart into 4 very short pieces for travel. I used a 4" black PVC pipe cut in half for the arm rest. I purchased the plastic winguts and bolts from Lowe's. It was rather simple, not perfect, but I can hunt for hours on dry land with my excal with no back strain. The whole thing cost me less than $20. I had to be patient to find canes for a good deal, though. There are two mods I may need to make: a strap for the armrest, and a support for the wires coming from the main unit.

How does one embed images into a post? If someone wouldn't mind helping me, I will post them.

Thanks.

to add pics you need to...

Attachments:
Upload File ...

or use photobucket..

you can make your own straight shaft with most of the stock parts. just need a handle,grip and a piece of alu tubing..

ok for my first shaft I am going with the rod by plugger,very nice guy and from what i hear very good quality shafts,going with the 2 piece,he said in the future if i wanted to take off the top and use his new hip mount new design looks sweet, will keep you guys posted.

Here are the pics of my homemade excal shaft. I forgot to mention, I bought the grips (two of them) for like $14 at REI. They are at an angle, because they are bicycle grips, but they work great. So....I guess the whole thing cost me ~$27.

[attachment 173085 IMG00056-20100910-0956-small.jpg]

[attachment 173084 IMG00057-20100910-0957-small.jpg]